Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-22-2009, 5:12 PM Reply   
need to replace my shaft seal .... does the shaft have to be centered perfectly for new seal to work? ive been told the seal is a rope type of deal? going to research and all your help is appreciated!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-22-2009, 5:15 PM Reply   
Are you sure it needs replacing Frank? Most of the time you can just tighten the nut up a bit.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-22-2009, 5:23 PM Reply   
^^^ What Darren said. Try to adjust it first. If the drip is still to fast then replace it. I adjust mine in gear idling. I think in my manual it's 1 drip every 10 seconds.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-22-2009, 5:31 PM Reply   
okay i will try that .... the leak was small at first and it just keeps getting worse .... filled the boat and it was a steady drain out .... can the seal leak so bad that enough water comes in to have to pump it out every rider?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-22-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
It's possible. If it's that bad the seal might be bad. I would check for other leaks too. Rudder, exhaust tubes,raw water hose etc just to be shure.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-23-2009, 10:40 AM Reply   
Frank--We did mine last spring. Don't think it needed to be done? I did however have a leaky hose that was the culprit of lots of water. It was a U-shaped hose down under the engine. Unfortunatly another hose rubs against it and over time wore a pencil size hole.

Good Luck!
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-24-2009, 6:19 AM Reply   
Frank-You might be able to just tighten it or you may have to replace it.......along with that steering cable....
Old     (topside_marine)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-24-2009, 11:56 AM Reply   
Frank,

Depending on the amount of water you may have another issue but yes the seal can leak enough to put significant amounts of water into the boat (> 5 gal/hr). Did this occur suddenly or did it appear over time? Leaks thru the shaft or rudder packing generally happen over time, sudden leaks generally lend to other probabilities such as damaged and loose hoses or fittings(best case) or engine damage (worst case).

As far as I know there is no published information from the boat manufacturer (Sanger) as to how much is too much water. Our rule of thumb in the shop is a few cups of water in the boat is OK at the end of the day but if you have gallons at the end of the day it is time to address the issue.

If you want to call me at the shop I can help you troubleshoot the problem but we are in the process of moving to a new location so we may not be immediately avaiable. Good Luck

Bill
408 451 9596 (old)
408 271 2628 (new)