Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (utmba95)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-11-2017, 9:00 AM Reply   
Hi,

Starting a new thread to not monopolize the other guy's thread since I don't know if he cares about the rope floating. I need a rope that floats well and can go down to 55' or 60' without the handle. I've spent so much time looking at rope reviews and either they have no reviews or there are conflicting reviews with some people saying they float and others saying they don't.

My Accurate Jacket would float a little but would slip under inexperienced riders like my 6 year old, and last week the prop finally got it. (Yes, we normally pull the rope in, but when you have a bunch of inexperienced people on the boat, it can happen and waste 30 minutes + a $100 rope.)

Anybody have a Liquid force Vision 80 w/Harley handle or Follow Team or Pro ropes and know if they *really* float? Other suggestions?

Thanks.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       07-11-2017, 11:32 AM Reply   
My Ronix combo 6.0 rope goes down to 60ft WITH the handle (so 55ft without the handle) and it floats great.

https://www.amazon.com/Ronix-Stitch-.../dp/B00GMOOEH8

I believe you can buy just the R8 line without the handle as well.

https://www.evo.com/ropes/ronix-r8-80-ft-mainline-16
Old     (janzy)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-13-2017, 8:58 PM Reply   
I was looking for the exact same thing as you a few years ago and ended up getting the Straight Line X jacket. I don't care for coated lines too much as they always end up sinking after a while. I've had the X jacket for 3 years now and it still floats very well and it's 50' at it's shortest. Not sure if they still make it, but if they do, that would be my suggestion.
Old     (utmba95)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-14-2017, 7:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by janzy View Post
I was looking for the exact same thing as you a few years ago and ended up getting the Straight Line X jacket. I don't care for coated lines too much as they always end up sinking after a while. I've had the X jacket for 3 years now and it still floats very well and it's 50' at it's shortest. Not sure if they still make it, but if they do, that would be my suggestion.
Sweet! I just ordered one of those. I wanted to stick with the "jacket" style rope, but the Accurate Jacket and Liquid Force Core don't seem to float. Hopefully this one will work for me.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       07-14-2017, 8:08 AM Reply   
A handle float just in front of the handle triangle goes a long way to keeping the rope up at the surface for ropes that like to sink. You see them primarily on barefoot or trick handles, but they're easy to add, and I generally throw one on any handle I build.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-14-2017, 8:16 AM Reply   
I don't like the long coated lines for the kids. I just get the $45 line lines that I can shorten with knots. I like to shorten the line, a lot, so they can jump the wake at slower speeds. Think 35-40 feet. Then as they get better and better I gradually increase line length and speeds. A large percentage of painful falls can be eliminated with shorter lines and slower speeds. Same thing applies to adults...esp middle age hacks who have no business trying some things. I have a dude that just cannot help but charge the wake. Every jump was a potential hospital stay. So I shortened his line, slowed down (18 mph...he is ~240 lbs) and all of a sudden he was jumping the wake having a great time and not about to die trying to clear the wake.

I'm actually going to cut a couple of my current ones to 35', splice in an end loop and then make a couple of 3 and 5 foot extensions do I don't have to keep trying and untying knots. . Sometimes I wonder if wakeboarding would do better if all lines started at 35-40 feet. Trying to get people to jump the wake with long lines is like trying to get beginners to run the course at 36mph and a really short line. Way too many injuries from people attempting things they have no business attempting.

Anyways.....those are my thoughts on line type and line length. I'm no pro, but we still have a great time, don't really get hurt and never surf.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       07-14-2017, 9:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes View Post
I don't like the long coated lines for the kids. I just get the $45 line lines that I can shorten with knots. I like to shorten the line, a lot, so they can jump the wake at slower speeds. Think 35-40 feet. Then as they get better and better I gradually increase line length and speeds. A large percentage of painful falls can be eliminated with shorter lines and slower speeds. Same thing applies to adults...esp middle age hacks who have no business trying some things. I have a dude that just cannot help but charge the wake. Every jump was a potential hospital stay. So I shortened his line, slowed down (18 mph...he is ~240 lbs) and all of a sudden he was jumping the wake having a great time and not about to die trying to clear the wake.

I'm actually going to cut a couple of my current ones to 35', splice in an end loop and then make a couple of 3 and 5 foot extensions do I don't have to keep trying and untying knots. . Sometimes I wonder if wakeboarding would do better if all lines started at 35-40 feet. Trying to get people to jump the wake with long lines is like trying to get beginners to run the course at 36mph and a really short line. Way too many injuries from people attempting things they have no business attempting.

Anyways.....those are my thoughts on line type and line length. I'm no pro, but we still have a great time, don't really get hurt and never surf.
How do you do such short lines and not have the rider basically be in the rooster spray of the boat?

I'm in a 2007 Malibu 23lsv. I shortened my rope this last year to 60ft and I'm probably only 5ft to 10ft away from the spray. I know slowing it down will shorter the spray as well, but not by as much as the line is shortened. Is this just boat dependent maybe?
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-14-2017, 11:17 AM Reply   
I picked up one of these more for the rope than anything. its a 50 + 10 + 5 + 5 that you could rearrange and get a 50 + 5 + 5 + 10. I have a few extra extensions that I can add to get 65 and 70 and leave the 10 for 80.

Time: IMO that boat has a big rooster more than others. I can ride my boat at 19-20 on a 50ft rope with a normal distance between the wakes. The one main difference in the short rope is the time and distance outside the wakes to setup.

https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Force-...d_cart_vw_2_1?
_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AAC4FT5TBG2P3JBKXMPP
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       07-14-2017, 12:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyBunch View Post
I picked up one of these more for the rope than anything. its a 50 + 10 + 5 + 5 that you could rearrange and get a 50 + 5 + 5 + 10. I have a few extra extensions that I can add to get 65 and 70 and leave the 10 for 80.

Time: IMO that boat has a big rooster more than others. I can ride my boat at 19-20 on a 50ft rope with a normal distance between the wakes. The one main difference in the short rope is the time and distance outside the wakes to setup.

https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Force-...d_cart_vw_2_1?
_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AAC4FT5TBG2P3JBKXMPP
Gotchya, must be boat specific. Here is a video I found of me riding behind my boat at 19.2 mph at 60ft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmdfAyaiGJI

You can see I'm already right behind that rooster spray.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-15-2017, 3:41 PM Reply   
Dude I can believe you ran over the rope. I've never done that
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-17-2017, 1:35 PM Reply   
I'm sending my Ronix back...sinks like a rock. The Hyperlite X-line (I think it's called) floats perfectly and is the shorter version of the A-line.