Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-20-2015, 10:44 AM Reply   
What does everyone think of this? I know a lot of wakeboarders think wakesurfing is a joke, so lets hear your opinions.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-20-2015, 10:45 AM Reply   
effed up the title, sorry
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-20-2015, 11:58 AM Reply   
Pro tour is already hard enough to watch, wake surfing would not help.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-20-2015, 1:51 PM Reply   
+1 on Dustins comments.

Wakesurfing is fun, but only for the person wakesurfing. I love surfing but hate pulling surfers. They dont get tired and the biggest risk in the sport is them falling and kicking board into the back of the boat. The Pro Tour format is broken. Its fairly boring to watch. I mean I am wakeboarding fanatic so I watch every run, but most people who dont know the difference between a 540 and 900 or a KGB 5 and a backroll get bored fast.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-20-2015, 2:15 PM Reply   
I love watching wakeboarding, I too would watch every run! I think they need to bring the women back, before they add wakesurfing to the mix, JMO
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-20-2015, 3:06 PM Reply   
What tony and Andy said!
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-20-2015, 4:53 PM Reply   
I do enjoy a little surfing when the water gets a little blown out or after a long day of boarding… however…

There's no way I'm going to pay to watch somebody sit behind a boat and drink a beer that didn't come from my own cooler. Wait… there's no beer while you're in mid run, you say? Well then I'm REALLY out.
Old     (nathanb)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-20-2015, 8:36 PM Reply   
Agree with hawkeye, the only time we surf if when the wind picks up and the water is blown out and we don't feel like going home yet. I can't see wakesurfing attracting more people to watch the tour
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-23-2015, 10:56 AM Reply   
It will dilute the overall product of the event, but makes sense as to bring in a demographic that is only attending because there is wakesurfing now, and the sponsor money that it brings. The $ payouts are stupid silly for wakesurfing. I hope Byerly enters and shows everyone they should just stick to riding at home.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-23-2015, 2:34 PM Reply   
I would like to see the pro wakeboarders compete in the wakesurfing event, love me some Byerly! Heck they might as well! The $$$$$ is good! Would also be interesting to see how they fare against the pro wakesurfers
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-23-2015, 3:05 PM Reply   
wakesurfing = snore fest
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       02-23-2015, 3:25 PM Reply   
I find wakesurfing boring. HOWEVER... it does make sense to add it to the tour, though not as much sense as adding women to the tour. My reasoning is that what the tour needs for success is more people and more coverage. If they combined surfing and wake boarding, they could attract a wider audience which will in turn bring more sponsors and manufacturers to show up in force. While the wakeboard and wakesurf enthusiasts may differ, the boat buyers are doing both... makes sense to get them in the same place and make it almost like a boat show combined with wake boarding and wakesurfing. Frankly it would make some sense to combine skiing in there somehow too.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       02-23-2015, 7:29 PM Reply   
Wake surfing is only fun to watch if you are in the boat with a beer in hand and the next set is yours. Oh and the water is too rough for wakeboarding. I'd much rather watch women's pro wakeboarding than anyone wakesurfing.

Last edited by dvsone79; 02-23-2015 at 7:32 PM.
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       02-23-2015, 8:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsone79 View Post
I'd much rather watch women's pro wakeboarding than anyone wakesurfing.
I'm trying to think of anything I'd not rather watch women do than watch wakesurfing. Maybe rhythmic gymnastics or synchronized swimming??? Nah... I think even those would be more interesting. Maybe women turning butter? Actually that might be a turn on.
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       02-24-2015, 7:45 AM Reply   
I remember the early days of wakeboarding and the skiers felt the same way about sharing their contest with wakeboarders. Wakeboarding took off because snowboarding was taking off at the same time, and it was easier to learn to wakeboard than to slalom ski, or even trick skis. It fed off the counter culture of skiers vs snowboarders and it turned into water-skiers vs wakeboarder. Traditional water-skiers and bare footers hated wakeboarding because it ruined their clean water, there have always been wallys.

Wakeboarding is just as technical now but wakesurfing is the new "easy to learn" sport. It's being embraced by many people who have broken bodies from wakeboarding and a brand new crop of folks who never rode a wakeboard and only learned to surf. The main stream boat buyer thinks ocean surfing is cool and they get a chance to feel that stoke behind a boat, so it's growing fast.

Combining the contests is going to be good for both sports. It's going to give some kids exposure to wakeboarding that they might not have ever seen, and it'll help keep the boat and board industry growing, which is required to keep the tours going and getting the riders paid. I expect growing pains but when they find the right mix of format it could be really good. They can even mix the two somehow maybe with a "commercial" about how to share the water with good driving and show the wakeboarders how to hit a "double up" off a surf wave from the opposite direction.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-24-2015, 8:48 AM Reply   
its just boring to watch. no one is throwing down near what the ocean guys can do ... surfing should stay where it belongs. in the ocean. a green sport.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-24-2015, 8:57 AM Reply   
Parker Payne, Keenan Fleegal, James Walker, Chase Hazen, Ashley Kidd, Bri Chimel.

look them up.

There are some very technical tricks bieng landed by all of these.

Now i will say that a 3ft air on a wakesurf board is not near as impressive as guys like Murry, Vandall, Scott Stewart. boosting 15ft into the flats. But wakesurfing is still fun and you cant sayt that the sport is not getting more popular every single day.

And hey Different strokes for different folks.

But i enjoy just bieng on the water.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-24-2015, 8:58 AM Reply   
And im not here to start a debate.

but if you are gonna have any kind of contest, you should include men and women.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-24-2015, 7:32 PM Reply   
Yeah!!! Bring back the Womens division!!
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-25-2015, 4:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye7708 View Post
Yeah!!! Bring back the Womens division!!
I think you might see the Nautique Wake Series, and Malibu Evolution series (all part of the WWA World Series) finally surpass the Pro Tour. 90% of the stops will have Pro Women and it's a significantly larger prize purse at each stop then the Pro Tour. Unless the Pro Tour is planning on doubling it's prize money from the past few years.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       02-25-2015, 9:29 PM Reply   
I think the comparison to wakeboarders joining the tour is good for perspective. I also remember people having similar opinions about wakeskating having an event at the tour. The main feedback is it wasn't spectator friendly (though now wakeskating has the ideal format in the form of the wakeskate tour, and it surpasses the tour, if not most other traditional events in wakeboarding).

I'm totally biased...i think wakesurfing as something serious or competitive is a joke.. Yet, the industry flocks. The one thing i commend is supra stepping up to try something different and support. Obviously they're expecting a return on the investment...to try when it seemingly didn't work out in an ideal fashion for another company is cool. And they've supported the wakeskate tour also.

Last edited by electricsnow; 02-25-2015 at 9:34 PM.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-27-2015, 5:01 PM Reply   
I'm not hating but I'd rather watch paint dry. I'd love to see the ladies back in the comp though.