Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (matt3824)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-13-2014, 10:51 PM Reply   
Hey guys, my name is Matt. Recently I bought my first boat, a 2005 Tahoe Q4 with the 4.3 Mercruiser V6. I live about 30-45 min from Lake Sam Rayburn in East Texas depending on which boat ramp we go to.

We've always done a good bit of tubing and luckily I got a tube to borrow when I first got the boat until I get one of my own. We've been tubing a lot since we got the boat, but now I'm really wanting to start wakeboarding. I've seen people do it over the years but I've never got a chance to try it for myself. So now I'm looking to buy my own board setup. I've been looking at the hyperlite motive and liquid force stance on eBay. The motive comes in a 134 and 140. I'm about 150 Lbs and 5' 11" tall, so which would be better for me?I've done a good bit of research but haven't been able to apply much of it to selecting a board other than finding a board around the right size.

Thanks,

Matt
Old     (jkanesmith)      Join Date: May 2013       06-14-2014, 6:28 AM Reply   
Matt, where do you live? We live on Rayburn off of Tiger Creek. Sorry I can't help much on the wake board, I'm more of a lingerer around this board. I'm sure someone will chime in and offer some advise.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-14-2014, 7:55 AM Reply   
I would go with the 140 with your height and weight. The 134 will work at your weight. But given your height I would step up.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-14-2014, 10:40 AM Reply   
I agree with John at your height the 140 will suit you better.
Old     (matt3824)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-14-2014, 6:39 PM Reply   
I live in Lufkin, as well as own a stereo shop here.

Does anyone have any experience with the hyperlite? Honestly it just attracted me because of the looks along with a good brand. It's also priced well
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-15-2014, 12:36 PM Reply   
The Motive is an old tried and tested shape from Shaun Murray. It is a stable ride, easy for beginners but also can progress with an advancing rider.

If you're trying to learn to wakeboard, I would find a local shop and go get their support/give them your support. Or take a trip to Dallas, Waco, or Louisiana to a cable park and get the riding fundamentals down, and try some different boards while you're at it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-16-2014, 2:19 PM Reply   
"support your local shop" sounds great until you get there and see 2012 boards at 2015 prices. sometimes it just doesn't make sense.

I agree, some cable time would be good for you to start out on.

Also, I don't think a 140 is the board for you considering you weigh 150. And you're not going to be growing into it.... I'd look in the 136 range
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-16-2014, 5:04 PM Reply   
I think Wake World is ready for a Tubing Forum....
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-17-2014, 7:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
"support your local shop" sounds great until you get there and see 2012 boards at 2015 prices. sometimes it just doesn't make sense.

I agree, some cable time would be good for you to start out on.

Also, I don't think a 140 is the board for you considering you weigh 150. And you're not going to be growing into it.... I'd look in the 136 range
In that situation I would be upfront with the shop. You would like to support them, but it doesn't make sense, and show them why. A reasonable shop should accommodate. At 5'11" tall, a 140 is more ideal imo, especially for learning.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-17-2014, 8:00 AM Reply   
Go with 140 bud regardless of how much you'll grow. At 5'11" and being a beginner more suface area will be easier to ride, easier to get up on, and more pop as well as softer landings. The Motive is a great shape that has been around for close to a decade. Have fun out there and enjoy your new boat!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-17-2014, 1:09 PM Reply   
Try a bunch of boards before you buy. Everyone has different preferences

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3