Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-11-2015, 8:26 AM Reply   
With a new baby (our first) due any day now, I decided this year would be a good year to sell my 2002 Centurion which was getting up in hours (approaching 800) and take a year off from boating, and upgrading in the off season to a 05+ VLX or Xstar/X1/X2, 26k-30k budget. I sold my Centurion for 22k. The plan was to add to our savings and wait for the right deal to come along.

Well, the "right deal" seemed to come along a little too soon. A neighbor has a 06 VLX with 120 hours, original owner, immaculate (show room condition) that he doesn't use and is looking to sell. This is the exact boat we want, however timing could be better - our son is due any day now. The last thing I should do is go out and buy a boat.

We talked price, and he will sell for 31k. My limit has been 30k and we just couldn't come together on the price. I actually sold my Harley Davidson last night for 8k coincidentally - I think the boat gods are speaking to me (22k for the Centurion + 8k for the harley = 30k cash). I would need to dip into savings a little bit to make up the difference.

The responsible side of me says "Dont buy a boat, idiot, you just sold yours" while the impulsive side of me says "Buy it. You're going to buy one anyways next year, and this deal might not come around again". What are your guys thoughts? Especially looking for ones with kids here. We definitely want a boat to be a part of the family - no question about it (our launch ramp is in our neighborhood), but is NOW really the best time?
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-11-2015, 8:29 AM Reply   
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       06-11-2015, 8:37 AM Reply   
Just do it!

You will regret it!
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-11-2015, 8:55 AM Reply   
If you have the money and it isnt going to hurt your or your family, your planning to to do it anyway, if you do not think you can get a similar boat for a better deal next year then it may be the right thing to do. I did an impluse buy and used everything I had to get my boat and I am so glad I did, everything I wanted and couldnt be happier. My little girl was 1.5 by then so it wasnt like having a newborn.

What does the wife say?
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-11-2015, 9:06 AM Reply   
absolute insanity not to buy that boat for 31k
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-11-2015, 9:15 AM Reply   
Great price on that boat and you have the cash. Take that $30k in hunnerts and lay it out in front on him on the swim platform. Bet he will grab it up quick and you'll have the boat you want.
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-11-2015, 9:15 AM Reply   
You will probably still be able to $30k for that boat in 2-3 years if you sell it too.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-11-2015, 9:16 AM Reply   
We looked at the boat last night, and wife says "if you can get it less than 30, and you sell your harley". Well, my harley actually sold an hour later coincidentally. Wife wants as much in savings as possible since she is going on leave for 12 weeks and will only be getitng 60% pay (not that our expenses are all that high to begin with).
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-11-2015, 9:21 AM Reply   
That's a beautiful boat for $30k.

Don't stop boating just because you have kids. In fact there isn't a better time to go boating. My son was on our new boat before he was a week old.

Life is very short. You want to get another boat, there is a perfect boat just blocks away at a VERY fair price AND you have the cash. Seems like the decision is being made for you
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-11-2015, 9:25 AM Reply   
Your kid will thank you for having a boat. Almost every day this year since we got another boat our 4yo wakes up and asks if we are going on the boat today. It's some of the best family time you can get. I would sell and downgrade my truck before getting rid of the boat because my kid loves it so much.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-11-2015, 9:33 AM Reply   
Thank you guys. I am going to get 30k cash out, lay it on the platform and see what he says. Wife is now saying "I knew this would happen - we'd sell the boat, and you'd find something, and you'll have a boat youre dying to use. Soon ll out friends will be out boating with you and I'll be home cooking dinner and taking care of baby". Talk about bad timing!
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-11-2015, 9:34 AM Reply   
Get on that infant life jacket thread that was posted earlier and take your newborn boating. Little ones love the feel of a floating boat.
Old     (Treybiz)      Join Date: Nov 2014       06-11-2015, 9:42 AM Reply   
Our Boy is going to be 4 in august and he has been on the boat constantly since he was 6 mo. I sold all my dirtbikes and bought a boat when my wife got pregnant. My best memories as a kid are with my dad on the lake; skiiing, fishing, tubing, or just on the boat in general.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-11-2015, 9:43 AM Reply   
$29K should buy it.
That boat boat in Red, Blue or Black would go for $36-$40K
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-11-2015, 9:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
while the impulsive side of me says "Buy it. You're going to buy one anyways next year, and this deal might not come around again".
I was in a similar situation this spring.... I had just moved back to a house on the water, didn't have a boat and had two choices - buy back in to my old boat with my brother, or pony up for a LSV wakesetter. After going back and forth trying to justify having a payment etc etc eventually went with the LSV. The wife was was really hesitant is now the #1 reason we use the boat. Almost every night she gets home from work and says "I'll change and get a cooler ready, go get the boat going.

My biggest reason to pull the trigger was similar to yours, the deal was great and it was local. I snagged an 04' LSV, one owner 330 hrs, - older lady 2 miles down the road owned it, boat was in great shape, loaded up and dirt cheap for what it was ($24k). Figured worst possible scenario, I unload it for what I paid in a few years.

So far its been a great buy, we'll see if I sing the same tune when I have to make the payment when its -20* outside, but for now, I've been loving it.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-11-2015, 9:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
I was in a similar situation this spring.... I had just moved back to a house on the water, didn't have a boat and had two choices - buy back in to my old boat with my brother, or pony up for a LSV wakesetter. After going back and forth trying to justify having a payment etc etc eventually went with the LSV. The wife was was really hesitant is now the #1 reason we use the boat. Almost every night she gets home from work and says "I'll change and get a cooler ready, go get the boat going.

My biggest reason to pull the trigger was similar to yours, the deal was great and it was local. I snagged an 04' LSV, one owner 330 hrs, - older lady 2 miles down the road owned it, boat was in great shape, loaded up and dirt cheap for what it was ($24k). Figured worst possible scenario, I unload it for what I paid in a few years.

So far its been a great buy, we'll see if I sing the same tune when I have to make the payment when its -20* outside, but for now, I've been loving it.
You know, I almost posted I dont want to turn this into a sidekicknicholas thread (I told you you'd be crazy not to buy that LSV!)
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-11-2015, 9:49 AM Reply   
The baby will sleep half of the time on the boat and it's baby seat will fit perfectly in the aisle and rock it to sleep with the vibrations. A baby is a pitiful excuse to not go on a boat. I bought our first 210 right after starting my own company and a wife 5 months pregnant. Good luck on the purchase!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-11-2015, 9:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
You know, I almost posted I dont want to turn this into a sidekicknicholas thread
Haha!
.... The problem with asking on a forum like this is, its really easy to spend other people's money. Sure everyone on a wakeboard forums says buy the boat and screw everything else.... its a lot tougher when its your hard earned money and your angry wife.

I had to take a loan, which I HATE doing, if you've got cash, that makes it a heck of a lot easier, but I would look into rates, if you can score a low enough rate, that $30k might serve you better in the market. Getting +10% ROI right now is pretty common, so if a loan would be @ 5% or so, you may be better off financing the thing and letting the cash work for you.
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       06-11-2015, 9:59 AM Reply   
Well this is kind of like asking the guys at the bar if you should stop drinking.

So..... If you were really planning on buying next season my vote is go for it now. Good boats at good prices aren't easy to find. That seems like a great deal to me especially since you know the owner and boat history. Just make sure you still do your homework on the boat before you buy. Knowing the owner doesn't guarantee that's there's no hidden issues. The owner may not know they are there. If it checks out then go for it. And I would not let $1000 get in the way if it's really a cherry.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-11-2015, 10:02 AM Reply   
Man get the wife and baby on the boat too! My daugher has been on the water and boat since she was born. You do things a little different but the family is together! If your friends dont understand well they are not friends. My friends know if my daughter is with me she is going too and they know things change. They accept it.

make sure the wife is happy too lol!
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-11-2015, 10:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by burban89 View Post
Man get the wife and baby on the boat too! My daugher has been on the water and boat since she was born. You do things a little different but the family is together! If your friends dont understand well they are not friends. My friends know if my daughter is with me she is going too and they know things change. They accept it.

make sure the wife is happy too lol!
The wife is the onewanting a wakesetter so she can surf! She loves going out boating, and didn't want me to sell the Centurion, but she knew it was getting up there in hours and now was a good time to sell. I agree with the asking the guys at the bar if I should quit drinking, I already knew what the answers would be.

I've always done well buying and selling "toys" I bought the centurion for 13.5, sold for 22 2 years later. Harley got for 7, sold for 8, etc. I think the depreciation would be minimal.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-11-2015, 10:32 AM Reply   
Even at 31K it's still a touch under "market." Does it have a power wedge or manual?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-11-2015, 10:42 AM Reply   
that's a very nice boat ... you might not use it much, but even if you get out once a month it'd be nice to have around.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-11-2015, 10:45 AM Reply   
Right, at 31k its not quite a steal, but its a very very good price. This thing is immaculate. He doesnt even let people step on the trailer fender with shoes on. Manual wedge.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-11-2015, 10:47 AM Reply   
Does it have all of the options that you'd want in a new boat? Stereo, ballast, perfect pass, etc... Those items add up quickly.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-11-2015, 10:55 AM Reply   
with manual wedge its not "as great" of a deal.. but still... some people must be from a planet where boats are given away. Anything under 35 is a really good price on that boat. Heck, i turned down a valid offer of 38.5k last year on my 06 with power wedge.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-11-2015, 6:32 PM Reply   
Get it, awesome price, you prob won't find a similar deal when you are ready next year. I have a 9month old and am so happy I didn't sell my boat (considered it for about 10 sec then wife shut that down). Babies are expensive but not nearly as bad as I expected ( we haven't put her in daycare yet though)...
Old     (Kingsriver)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-11-2015, 8:38 PM Reply   
Buy the boat. You will never regret the time you spend on your boat with your wife and Baby. Before long high school senior. Work hard play harder
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-11-2015, 10:26 PM Reply   
My daughter was 3 weeks old on her first boat ride. First camp trip to the lake at 3 months old. The boat is going to provide you with a lifetime of awesome memories with the family. There is never a "right time" for anything. I currently don't own a boat. The wife and I are planning on trying for another child later this year and also buying our first boat hopefully this coming winter.

You gotta plan for tomorrow but remember that tomorrow may not come.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-12-2015, 7:32 AM Reply   
If you're okay with the yellow, I'd go for it. It's such an advantage to know the true history and hours of a boat. And, boating with newborns is actually easier than you're probably imagining, especially with a bimini. Our twins have pretty much grown up on our boat, starting at about 6 months. If it wasn't for the heart/breathing monitors they came home with they probably would've been out there sooner than that.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-13-2015, 10:09 AM Reply   
We bought our first boat when our youngest was 1. 2nd kid was on the boat at 6 weeks old. He spent a weeks vacation in a bouncy chair or car seat on he floor of the boat. I can tell u he slept waaaay better on the boat than in his crib!
I agree that if it is in your lifestyle, which it is and not financially strapping you, jump on the deal now.
I'm cheap like others on here, can't stand paying retail for something if it's a luxury and know that the "right" deals don't come along often.
This is an easy decision IMO if it will not hurt u financially right now. Think about the next deal you find next year. Prolly be 1000 mi away and cost u days and $ just to go get it.
Boating as a hobby is one thing that does not suffer when you have kids..... Until they start hogging time at the end of the rope, lol. But you got a few years before you worry about that.
Old     (lashburn1)      Join Date: Oct 2014       06-13-2015, 7:02 PM Reply   
Dont do it...If you won't use it
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-13-2015, 10:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
We bought our first boat when our youngest was 1. 2nd kid was on the boat at 6 weeks old. He spent a weeks vacation in a bouncy chair or car seat on he floor of the boat. I can tell u he slept waaaay better on the boat than in his crib!
I agree that if it is in your lifestyle, which it is and not financially strapping you, jump on the deal now.
I'm cheap like others on here, can't stand paying retail for something if it's a luxury and know that the "right" deals don't come along often.
This is an easy decision IMO if it will not hurt u financially right now. Think about the next deal you find next year. Prolly be 1000 mi away and cost u days and $ just to go get it.
Boating as a hobby is one thing that does not suffer when you have kids..... Until they start hogging time at the end of the rope, lol. But you got a few years before you worry about that.
Totally true. It used to be I got to ride as long as I wanted but now both my kids take sets that can last 30-40 minutes so I'm lucky if I even get to ride..... I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old     (gpd005)      Join Date: May 2013       06-16-2015, 6:47 PM Reply   
Well here an opinion from a guy with a 18 month old. We just purchased a 09 Moomba XLV and it has been almost depressing every time we take the boat out just because the boy gets fussy after a couple of hours. However the boat was a good deal and in a year or two i think we will be really happy that we have it. So if you are ok with not using it to it's full potential right away i think you will be glad you did it. I'm used to loading up with a group and riding for hours at a time. Now we spend more time floating in a cove and jumping off the swim platform. But the boy loves the water and asks to play in the boat even when it's just parked in the garage.

Knowing the history of the boat and how it has been taken care adds value that you can't really put in the price too!