Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-03-2015, 7:58 AM Reply   
I just picked up a new to me 2005 Sanger V215. I'm pretty excited. I've loved this model since the day I saw it. It was garage kept its whole life and one owner. Took it out Friday for its test drive and it ran great. I attached a few pictures below. I also have a few questions.

The first is that the speedometer doesn't work. It was the only gauge that didn't work. The needle would go up on accelerating and too fast of a rate and then not drop down after you slowed. The needle would reset after turning the ignition off but do the same thing. The dealer said it sounded exactly like something being stuck in the sending tube which is extremely common. So I need to blow the tube like. I disconnect the tube at the pickup sensor and the other end at the gauge and use an air compressor? There appears to be two pickup sensors in the back of the boat, are both used for speed?

The second is that I think I want to re-prop this for more low end pulling. The boat had plenty of power but felt a bit sluggish right out of the hole. The motor is a 350 mag MPI, 315 hp. What would the recommendations be for that?

The stereo is all aftermarket on this and has (4) 5 1/4" speakers in the boat but in what I think is factory locations. Does anyone know if 6.5's will fit? I plan on doing a wetsounds setup in the future. What are other V215 owners doing for speaker locatiions?

Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       08-03-2015, 8:12 AM Reply   
NICE BOAT !!! I love sangers I'm a west coast guy and theres tons of them out here . Your new boat is beautiful I love the color combo .

Sounds like your on the right track with the speedos . I run mine is the ca delta and constantly have issues with the pick ups cloggin up from seaweed chunks . Those pick ups are called a pitot pronounced pee-tow. lol there is flow through design thats suppsed to self clean and they work somewhat but its not a cure all .
http://www.skidim.com/TOURNAMENT-PIT...ductinfo/769B/

as por the prop id look into acme props and see what your options are . just know you will loose top end speed and ecnonomy .
Old     (Preston)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-03-2015, 8:14 AM Reply   
Both pickups (pitot tubes) on the transom are for the speedo. Usually they just get clogged on the back. You can just use a paper clip to unclog them.
Go with an Acme 911 prop.
You can enlarge the speaker holes to fit 6.5's
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-03-2015, 9:19 AM Reply   
Yep. Acme 911 and use a hole saw to enlarge those speaker holes or a rotozip. Remember vaccume as you cut don't want tgat fibergkass in your lungs and all over your boat.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-03-2015, 10:18 AM Reply   
My speedo works when it wants to. Seems to be a thing with these boats. 911 prop for sure. Nice pickup. I'm on my 3rd season with my 215 and it has been a great boat. The only thing that has me ready for something different is more space and more storage.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-03-2015, 10:46 AM Reply   
My prop on the boat now is a stock three blade prop. I noticed the 911 is a three blade prop as well. I thought you normally go to for blade for low end thrust. Will the 911 be that noticeable?
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-03-2015, 10:54 AM Reply   
Oh ya it will. Night and day difference. Stock vs 911 is like 3.42 gears vs 4.88s lol.
Yesterday for example we had the 1100lb full, and the stock midship full and 8 adult Crew. Boat pulled right up surfing.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-03-2015, 10:56 AM Reply   
4 blade props are for the newer boats with different ratios.
Here you go-
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800683
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-03-2015, 11:52 AM Reply   
You don't want a four blade with a 1:1 transmission. You would lose surface area in the low pitch that you need and that would hurt your hole shot. At higher pitch ratios a four blade can help, and a five blade can help at very high pitch ratios. The 911 is a good prop.

Congratulations on the purchase. The V215 is the best handling rear engine boat I've ever driven. It rivals D drives from some makers. You are going to love it. That little back rest behind the drivers seat is surprisingly comfortable too.

Don't fret too much over the speedo. It's really only accurate at slalom ski speeds so a PerfectPass or other speed control will give you much more accuracy for most activities.

Oh, and I run my bimini a little lower towards the bow so it's level when the boat is running. That's just personal preference though.

Last edited by rallyart; 08-03-2015 at 11:56 AM. Reason: added info
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-03-2015, 12:03 PM Reply   
I have a 2006 V215 and put the 911 on. You will notice a considerable difference out of the hole but you sacrifice a few MPH on top end cruise speed.

The paper clip is the most valuable and most used tool that I have on board for that exact reason.

Watch those rear speaker covers down under back seat with the ones you currently have installed. Because of the angle and jagged deign of those covers I have had quote a few people step down and catch that cover with their heel. One broke the cove and split his heel open pretty bad. I replaced the covers in the back with ones that a foot would slide off of rather then catch on.

Last edited by Shawn; 08-03-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-03-2015, 1:41 PM Reply   
Plus one one the ACME 911, have a similar boat and it made a world of difference out of the hole. You can always have your current prop re-pitched to ACME 911 specs, but it's good to have a spare as well.

Don't worry about the speedo in the days of GPS, that will be more helpful. Upgrade to Perfect pass when funds allow, single best upgrade on any towboat.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-03-2015, 2:08 PM Reply   
Tons of room in the seat bases for larger speakers. Personally I think the top end loss with the 911 is too much unless your running above 6000' or have 3000lbs of ballast. Acme has the 1231 which is two steps over stock. Stock is 515 then you go to the 525 as a option for factory ballast then the 1231 and finally the 911. Some how your boat slipped through the cracks at DMV and more than likely when you register it you will have to change the CF#. USCG states that you cant have a "I", "O" or "Q" in the registration numbers. It happened to me DMV issued me a CF #### RI number so I had a set of domed numbers made and I installed them only to find out that they gave me a new number that was completely different so had to remove and have a new set made, pissed me off.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       08-03-2015, 7:57 PM Reply   
Beautiful! Mine is exact same interior, slightly diff exterior. Check out Fresh Air Exhaust before you do your stereo, it makes a huge difference. Also, strip out those hard ballast tanks and plumb in some big sacs for surfing fun

I just noticed you don't have perfect pass - you're going to want to add that. Its a must have.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-04-2015, 7:36 AM Reply   
Yes, I plan to eventually pull the hard tanks and replace them with the wakemakers kit. I'm not sure but it seems like the 1100 lb kit is the way to go. As for perfect pass, you are correct that it doesn't have it yet. I wasn't too upset it didn't have perfect pass becase this way I can go add the new GPS based unit. My big debate now is whether to go with perfect pass or the ridesteady? The ridesteady looks like a much nicer unit to me but not sure if there is a benefit to one or the other that I am missing. The stereo may have to wait until I recover from shelling out so much cash on a boat.

Last edited by RPM_DLX; 08-04-2015 at 7:37 AM. Reason: added to reply
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-04-2015, 6:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM_DLX View Post
I wasn't too upset it didn't have perfect pass becase this way I can go add the new GPS based unit..
Are you running in the Delta?...if so the currents can get pretty rippin in the Delta. I do not have one, so maybe someone else can answer this...do the GPS based systems take into account currents?

With a paddle wheel it is boat speed relative to water speed which is what you wanna maintain.

Seems you ride up one side of Vics would be considerably different than the other side at a tidal change if you were GPS speed only.

Somebody school me.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-04-2015, 8:16 PM Reply   
You are bang on. GPS doesn't make an account for current, paddle wheel does.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-04-2015, 8:19 PM Reply   
Congrats on the boat!

We have a V230 and run the Acme 911 and it's perfect for surfing and boarding. Big difference in power when loaded.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-04-2015, 8:36 PM Reply   
I typically try to stay away from the delta. I mainly use lakes. I see your point about the gps based perfect pass. Should I be looking at a different one?
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-04-2015, 8:37 PM Reply   
Only if you ride on rivers. Installing a paddle wheel is not worth it imo if you aren't dealing with current
I'll probably be doing a ridesteady over perfectpass if I keep the boat
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-04-2015, 10:59 PM Reply   
I've had great success with my Stargazer for many years. I do need a new GPS antenna this year though. Running on RPM mode right now.
I ordered my gauge with the Sanger logo preprinted on it.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-05-2015, 7:46 AM Reply   
I was just looking at the hydrophase again and it appears you can get the paddlewheel as well as the GPS. Seems like a no brainer to go with the hydrophase then.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-05-2015, 9:49 AM Reply   
saweet!!!

911 prop FTW. yes you'll notice it. put a couple thousand pounds in it and you'll REALLY notice it!! I VERY rarely run at WOT so i'm not sure what top end was before the prop swap but I can run 40 mph with a 911

x2 on pitot tubes. easy fix.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-05-2015, 9:58 AM Reply   
Thank s Nacho! I appreciate your help in the other thread I posted before buying one. I got the boat home and it is in my garage but the height isn't even close. Even the tower mod like you did wouldn't be enough on my low clearance. To get the boat in I had to take off the tower speakers, the swim platform, remove the back seat, fold the tower, disconnect the tower base and then dropped the tongue of the trailer as low as it would go and pushed it in. Not easy. So now I am putting the boat into an indoor valet storage. Not the way I wanted to spend $140 a month but at least this frees up my garage, lets me park my truck in there and I no longer have to remove a thing when I am done. Although, putting the boat into storage makes me wonder if I would have been better off getting a V230....lol.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-05-2015, 10:15 AM Reply   
really??? thats crazy, how low is your opening? thats a lot to do everytime you pull it out and put it in. yes a v230, or you could parlay this into a lakehouse
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-06-2015, 7:48 AM Reply   
The height of my garage is between 80-81 inches. I had to drop it several inches to get it to clear. So for now its going to an indoor valet storage service. I am not sure how long I will do it. I thought of making a winch mechanism that lifted the upper tower off and would lower it back in place so I could do it solo. Although for right now I am looking forward to getting my garage back for my truck to back into, not to mention my washer and dryer are in the garage. Its an old house built in 1963.
Old     (doubleup16)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-07-2015, 9:27 PM Reply   
Would it be possible to raise the header on your garage door and then add a panel to the garage door its self? Might cost you about the same as a years rent.
Old     (doubleup16)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-07-2015, 9:31 PM Reply   
As far as the cruise control goes, its so easy to adjust the speed on the fly with the ridesteady, I wouldn't even consider the paddle wheel as a requirement unless you were on the river constantly. I have been real happy with mine, install was straight forward and it has worked just as I had anticipated.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-08-2015, 3:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleup16 View Post
Would it be possible to raise the header on your garage door and then add a panel to the garage door its self? Might cost you about the same as a years rent.
Thought about this as well
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-08-2015, 5:46 PM Reply   
There really is no room to go up with the way my roof is. I am currently working on a design for a frame that will roll on wheels over the boat, with an electric winch that hooks the tower and lifts it off. Then put the boat in the garage and store the tower next to it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-10-2015, 8:54 AM Reply   
Tower speakers and lights you could use quick disconnect plugs at tower feet
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-10-2015, 3:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
Tower speakers and lights you could use quick disconnect plugs at tower feet
Do you know where to by just the quick disconnects? I have only seen them as part of an all new wire harness.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-10-2015, 5:56 PM Reply   
Look for 8 or 10 pin connectors
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-10-2015, 6:58 PM Reply   
Can't find what I'm looking for but I don't know that it would suit your application: 8 pin threaded quick connectors.

These might work better as you could drop them through the hole in the hull topcap for a cleaner look.
http://store.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xca...6&cat=0&page=1
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-11-2015, 2:14 PM Reply   
RPM I can't find your thread fenders. Mine have diamond plate on top of it right where it's flexing. May add a but of trim and support weight better