Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-25-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
I'm considering upgrading my perfect pass (paddle wheel) to the Star Gazer. Anyone having issues or complaints on these units? My concerns are losing reception on cloudy days and most of my riding is on the river with some small amount of current.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-25-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
wakeboarding+gps+current would be a waste of money. keep your paddlewheel.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-25-2010, 9:09 AM Reply   
we dont ride on a river, but ive heard current affects it. but cloudy doesnt affect it at all. our gps reciever is under our dash and the fiber glass is about 1/2"-3/4" thick there, and we still have signal on cloudy days, we have been using it since the summer, and have only lost signal twice and that was on a ridiculously tight turn and at high speed( no it wasnt a power turn, small channel and turning around with a rider) but it found it again after a second, and the rider didnt even notice the change in speed.
but then again, we also ride on a lake. no complaints at all.
any reason your thinking about upgrading? if your paddle wheels works, why change it?
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       01-25-2010, 9:18 AM Reply   
Wakemania I am also thinking of getting the gps system upgrade for my wakeboard pro. I have had so many problems with the wakeboard pro hopefully the stargazer will work better. i have not herd any bad reviews about the stargazer system.
Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-25-2010, 9:32 AM Reply   
I upgrade a year ago. It is very nice on lakes not so good on the river. We use RPM mode on the river which is not bad but wastes the money for the upgrade. I wish you could switch between paddle wheel and GPS when you upgrade and still have both. I would do it just because I like the accuracy of the GPS. I have to have it replaced once because it was causing trouble with the Correct Craft gateway box and locking up the PP.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-25-2010, 9:37 AM Reply   
Contact the folks at perfect pass they have a unit where you can choose paddle or gps. I ride on a river and it's never been an issue, but the owner said if it was he would send me the new ecu with both technologies.
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-25-2010, 9:43 AM Reply   
My paddle wheel assembly has gone bad. I currently use it in rpm mode. That repair is going to be around $150. So I was just wandering if the upgrade (around $600) would be worth it with the difference at around $450. The rpm mode works fine, but obviously my speedometer doesn't work so I have to use a hand held GPS unit to determine speed. I have noticed that the speed per the GPS unit doesn't change that much when going either direction on the river, so there must not be much current. The riders don't seem to notice a change or enough to speed up or down when changing to or against the current.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-25-2010, 9:57 AM Reply   
I've run mine a couple seasons and am pleased with it. You can run on GPS or in RPM mode. Holding speed in a turn is excellent and weighting variations don't affect the speed.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-25-2010, 10:33 AM Reply   
I am planning on adding Stargazer this year - Probably order it in the next month or 2.

I do go to the river quite often( but mainly lake). My question is, can't you tell how fast the river is (on average) with the unit and just compensate for it? I realize that rivers slow and speed up in corners and wide sections, but the place I go at least doesn't have wide sections... Anybody have any experience? I am definitely not as "anal" about it being within .003 MPH and the Stargazer is a no-brainer install, and since I don't have a paddlewheel, it would be the preferred way for me.
Old     (jmcdanie)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-25-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
Lifetime,

I have ZeroOff GPS and use it on a river. As some have said, you can use the RPM feature if you would like to help alleviate the issues with the GPS and direction of the current.

I do not usually use RPM mode though. The way I do it is the following (using GPS):
- Sit in boat while running and watch the speed on the ZeroOff display. On my river which is a pretty fast river, it comes to 1.3 MPH most of the time. Though it changes speed depending on the direction of the current and how long ago since the tide changed).
- If going against the current, I add 1.3 MPH from my desired speed which should put me moving the exact speed I want to go.
- If going with the current, I take away 1.3 MPH from the desired speed which should put me moving the exact speed I want to go.
- I then change the speed up or down 2.6 MPH whenever I turn around, though most of the time, we have long straight aways so you do not have to turn around often unless you want a double up.

Hope this helps!

If anyone sees error in my ways, please let me know as I only had a couple weekends to play with it at the end of the season last year.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-25-2010, 11:09 AM Reply   
That is exactly what I figured would work, Joe. Thanks!!!