Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tucker)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-13-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
I heard Centurion is closeing shop, they have lost M&M watersports their longest dealer of 20 years and also the biggest boat dealer in Canada, and have no more dealers in cali. Wth is going on.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-13-2010, 12:30 PM Reply   
Let's not start rumors. Where did you "hear" that from???
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-13-2010, 12:57 PM Reply   
First-posters like this are always suspicious.
Old     (tntige)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-13-2010, 1:08 PM Reply   
I don't believe it. Centurion is as stable as any builder in the industry. I am a Centurion Dealer and have no indication that they are going to shut down either plant.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-13-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
Chad,

They are not closing, they are just changing dealers...
Welcome to the boating world!
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-13-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
I think on themalibucrew.com there is a thread that Centurion is hiring back 25% of their workforce.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-13-2010, 1:21 PM Reply   
Nice 1st post. Here is recent info from Fineline posted on Centurion Crew

Fineline Industries will begin the new year by calling back its work force to build a growing order backlog for its Centurion boats.The company's global distribution reports increasing retail activity and a reduction in retail inventories resulting in a stream of new 2010 orders.Throughout 2009 Centurion also invested in new products and entered new channels further strengthening order volumes.

“It's with great relief and excitement that we are able to return to more normal production rates after the challenges of 2009.We anticipate bringing back our trained work force and look forward to doing some hiring to support our newly growing demand,” announced Centurion President Rick Lee.

video (http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/video?id=7187021) - ABC West Coast reporting Centurion bringing back 30-40 workers

New Dealers for 2010
New England Ski Boats, Cambridge, MA
Bayou Outdoor Supercenter, Bossier City, LA
One More Pull, Franklin, VA
Surf Fresh, Orlando, FL
Montana Honda and Marine, Billings, MT
Barry Jay's Marine, Edmonton, AB

Sorry to hear about M&M (if it is true)But, reality is that most dealers have been suffering on the west coast and that Centurion is not any different (ie working off excess inventory). They seem to be doing much better on East Coast and Texas.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-13-2010, 1:26 PM Reply   
there is a thread on centurioncrew.com also with a link to the california news cast saying they are ramping up production for 2010 and hiring back their workforce i also belive that centurion has a commercial division and also builds boats for other companies like epic
Old     (tucker)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-13-2010, 1:52 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the response and info, sorry for any hurt feelings. It is true about M&M I have talked to them personally. To bad they gave their heart and soul to Centurion for 20 years.

(Message edited by tucker on January 13, 2010)
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-13-2010, 2:06 PM Reply   
Since Centurion broke ties with Kal Kustom's I would guess they are going to get rid of a lot of their dealers and restructure how their dealership network looks.
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-13-2010, 2:22 PM Reply   
Bogus, bogus, bogus. They are opening new dealers (selling boats) as we speak.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-13-2010, 3:13 PM Reply   
I know of another established dealer losing a long-time line of boats, but that doesn't mean that the manufacturer is closing shops....
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-13-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
Username: Tucker
Full Name: Chad George
E-mail Address: chad.george33@yahoo.com
Last Logged In: January 13, 2010
Total Posts: 2

Enough said!

Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-13-2010, 9:57 PM Reply   
Come on, Kevin...He did apologize.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-14-2010, 6:08 AM Reply   
I guess time will tell
He posted the same thing on Centurion Crew
Old     (mcmillanman5)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-14-2010, 7:58 AM Reply   
Utah watersports announcement:
http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs064/1102546509837/archive/1102931395559.html
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-15-2010, 8:57 PM Reply   
Ummm....my local Centurion dealer is still open. Check for yourself. Olivers Marine in Madera CA. Great husband and wife organization. They get ALL of my business. 15 minutes from my house in Fresno CA.
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-15-2010, 9:04 PM Reply   
Kevin, relax man its just some douche lookin to get a rise. there will be some boat company's come and go over the years but your rite centurion build a great looking solid boat and dont cut any corners
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-17-2010, 8:41 AM Reply   
Both Mastercraft dealers here in Wa just picked up Centurion
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-18-2010, 8:34 AM Reply   
^^^^Yep!!!^^^^
We just got the news that we will be carrying Centurion now! Don't have any boats yet, but we will by the Seattle Boat Show next week.
I'm pumped!!
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-18-2010, 6:50 PM Reply   
Had some nice new Centurions at the Atlanta Boat show this week.
Old     (desotodave)      Join Date: Mar 2009       01-19-2010, 1:04 PM Reply   
Hey all,

I am a long time lurker here on the site, although I do not post very often. Here are my 2 cents worth.

I have purchased my last 2 new boats from M&M Watersports here in Utah. It is true they are not going to be carrying Centurions any longer. Prior to my purchase of my Elite V 4 years ago I was an avid Mastercraft fan. I have always been a slalom skier and loved my prostar. BUT, I HATED UTAH WATERSPORTS (the new Centurion Dealer in Utah)! I would do everything in my power to avoid having to deal with the dealership. It even got the the point that I would purchase parts from a dealer in California, and then have an independent install them. It is my contention that they are the WORST boat dealer in America (great at selling product, support non-existent). I finally made the decision to sell my beloved prostar as my kids were getting old enough to want to wakeboard and I wanted a crossover type boat. My final determination was that I would own anything BUT a Mastercraft, I just could not deal with it any longer. I finally made my way down to see the guys at M&M watersports. As others have indicated Adam down there is the BEST, not to mention Troy and Shane. Whenever I need anything they do ANYTHING in their power to see that it gets fixed. They even ran a battery out to me (30 miles, and they were there in 35 minutes) when my was dead. This is without a doubt the best service I have ever received from any type of vehicle dealership anywhere I have lived. Indeed M&M was dealer of the year the last 3 years! Now I am not privy to the private goings on at Centurion and M&M, but I am dumbfounded that a dealership that has lived Centurion for over 20 years, and was 100% committed to bringing their clients the best possible product is now no longer selling these boats! From a dealership standpoint, I would assume that things would have to be REAL bad at Centurion for them to want to look elsewhere. Now, lets look at this from the other point of view. Lets say that the decision was Centurions and not M&M's. What kind of idiot would make a business decision to pull the franchise for their dealer of the year the last 3 years, and give it to a dealership who I have never had a positive experience with.

Either way I see bad things in the future for Centurion. If I was Rick Lee I would get down on my knees, ask M&M for forgiveness and beg them to come back. Nothing good can come of this.

Additionally, I am also friends with a number of the riders who are "sponsored" by Centurion. What a dissapointed group of great guys. It seems like being a Centurion sponsored rider now means that Centurion can use your name and likeness on their website, and the riders get......well their picture on the Centurion website.

I now own a 23 foot Enzo, and surfing is our passion. My wife, I and my son all went to the World Wakesurf Championships in Nasville in 2008. We love surfing! I have sold tons of Centurion boats due to my unbridled enthusiasm about the product, surfing and the good experience I have had with M&M. I have 2 friends in Washington, 1 in California, not to mention family members and friends who have bought one locally. But, I can't support a company that would treat their dealership base this poorly. If things don't change for the better, I will not purchase another Centurion product.

I know that the poster who originated this thread got off on the wrong foot, but the point that he raised at first is a good one WTF is going on with Centurion.

Dave
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-19-2010, 1:13 PM Reply   
I am guessing that the reason they switched Centurion to Utah watersports is that they are going to protect dealers in area's kind of like Mastercraft and Malibu do. That in itself wouldn't be enough to switch from a great dealer that has supported their product, but Utah watersports has the same owners as Seattle Mastercraft(Darren) and Inland NW mastercraft in Spokane. This gives Centurion one dealer that seems to be in good shape and have good financial backing cover the 2 main areas of Washington and Utah. I know there are a couple of other Centurion dealers in Washington but I wonder if they lose the Centurion line as well?
Old     (nauti4life)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-19-2010, 3:19 PM Reply   
I thought MC and Bu were open territory now. Greed is the thing that powers the universe! Greed is what can destroy us all.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-19-2010, 3:27 PM Reply   
I thought "Greed was good"

Dave

I left a post at Centurion Crew where you made the same post
Old     (desotodave)      Join Date: Mar 2009       01-20-2010, 6:36 AM Reply   
Greed is not Good. Definition "an inordinate desire to acquire or possess more than one needs or deserves" Greed implies taking advantage of people, and doing anything just for the sake of profit. Taking care of your customers, providing a valuable service and making a profit while doing it is the American way.

New Definition of Greed: "throwing over your best selling, longest standing dealership so you can sign 3 Mastercraft dealers who will tell everyone your boats are second rate, buy a Mastercraft!"