Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-07-2015, 6:27 PM Reply   
On hot days where the air is still the smoke hangs out 4 ever
Attached Images

Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       06-07-2015, 6:39 PM Reply   
I must respectfully disagree. I love the sound and smell of a 2 stroke outboard cranking. My families first boat was a 4 stroke outboard but had a 2 stroke later on. And I always loved heading out early in the morning on my friends bass boats. Brings back so many good childhood memories on the lake.

I am glad that I have a relatively silent and clean inboard now, but the sounds and smells always take me back.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-07-2015, 7:37 PM Reply   
2 strokes are like Smokers. The only people enjoying it are the ones doing it. All others suffer. I can only imagine what it's like for the "family" to be idling down river to have the wind blowing the 2 stroke smoke back into the boat. "Ahhhh justice"
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       06-07-2015, 8:54 PM Reply   
Kinda like huge stereos
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-08-2015, 5:48 AM Reply   
Lol ^^^^^^
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-08-2015, 5:57 AM Reply   
What do you do in a boat like that one? It's not a wakeboat, it's not a ski boat, and it's not a fishing boat. Do you just drive it in circles? Is it a jet ski?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-08-2015, 6:13 AM Reply   
It's a Bass boat. They are common here on the west coast.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-08-2015, 6:18 AM Reply   
And that guy is looking at your wakeboat saying "I can't wait till those stupid wake boats are outlawed".
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       06-08-2015, 6:33 AM Reply   
Nothing better than the smell of 2-stroke in the morning!!!!! Braaaaaap!!!!

That said, to the OP, i believe your point is valid, pretty sure all 2-strokes now are DI so the good ole' days of smelling a carbed 2-stroke are gone.

I don't see 2-strokes leaving anytime soon, DI's are actually cleaner burning and more fuel efficient than there 4-stroke brothers.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-08-2015, 6:34 AM Reply   
I guess it's a time and place type of thing. I had 2 stroke bikes for years and yes I to liked the smell, but I guess on a bike or going down the road the smell is brief for passer by's and your out on the dirt and your not trying to stay clean ect. On the water when the air is still and it's hot and your in the 5mph zone the smell and smoke can linger. We were out the other day and e fishing boats we ahead of us and the 2stroke smell and smoke came threw the boat the whole time we were underway. It was quite annoying and IMO just not needed kind of like big lifted diesels that puke black smoke for no reason at all. The new cleaner burning 2 strokes are way better.

Like I said above the only justice is that the 2 stroke guys have to sell there Own $hit from time to time. A buddy that has a clean modern 2 stroke outboard on his pontoon boat says that Even with a small breeze coming from behind will blow the smell in threw out his boat and stink everyone out. LOL have fun choking on your own exhaust
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-08-2015, 6:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverRider View Post
What do you do in a boat like that one? It's not a wakeboat, it's not a ski boat, and it's not a fishing boat. Do you just drive it in circles? Is it a jet ski?
Funny guy wins the internet today.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-08-2015, 7:02 AM Reply   
Yep, ban the last couple of 2-strokes still in use

Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-08-2015, 7:35 AM Reply   
^that crap is what needs to be outlawed. Can't believe people think that is cool.
Old     (CaptainYARRR)      Join Date: May 2015       06-08-2015, 7:37 AM Reply   
Ha now that puts it in perspective.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-08-2015, 7:40 AM Reply   
It's funny how people can get all emotional over pollution spewing practices. The debate over wood burning fireplaces (IN THE CITY) has been a highly contested one. In the Bay Area during winter time the air can get stagnet and when people burn wood the air and quickly turn nasty! (They deem these days SPAIR THE AIR) days and wood burning is not allowed. People get so upset and feel they have a Right! To polute. IMO when your "practices or Likes " impact others Health then that's when something needs to be done. Slowly but surely we are all learning, it was not long ago b4 you could smoke in a plane and people would have to breath in the cigarette smoke of others. Smokers felt they had the right to smoke and how dare you non smokers protest. LOL it won't be long b4 everyone is on the same page.

IMO you should be allowed to beat the guys in the Diesel trucks that deliberately do thoes smoke outs. It would be great to plumb their own exhaust back into their own cab and make them drive around!!!!! LOL death by Diesel
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-08-2015, 8:24 AM Reply   
Just because you don't see it does not mean its any better.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-08-2015, 8:36 AM Reply   
I will say coming from a former diesel owner. There are dum@@$$ in every group just like in wakeboard boats. Most of the diesel forums hate these pictures and smoke tunes, It's really bad for your truck. If you go on the duramax forum and ask about a SMOKE TUNE it's about as bad as asking the best way to pull a tuber on here. Any tuner worth a damn for duramax's won't even sell a smoke tune anymore. My old duramax had every thing done to it but upgraded turbo and injectors and would put down 550 rwhp and would just put out a little puff then clean right up. Usually there was more smoke from the tires than the exhaust.
Old     (CaptainYARRR)      Join Date: May 2015       06-09-2015, 6:58 AM Reply   
It's those kinds of jerks that make everyone else look bad. I want to slap every diesel owner with smoke stacks in their pickup spewing smoke all over. Makes the other guys who are tuning properly and being respectful of other people on the road look like they are the same people.
Old     (HushPuff)      Join Date: Feb 2014       06-09-2015, 9:13 AM Reply   
To chime in on the diesel thing... I'll be the first to say I hate stacks on pickups - they look ridiculous and make me think the driver is a delta bravo. I probably look like one too, with my straight piped and tuned 6.0 - That's fine by me... but I don't go around blasting smoke everywhere I go. VERY rarely does black smoke come out of my pipes.

I will, however, say that most (if not all) strips require diesel trucks to have a stack to run on their track so they don't put down a layer of soot every time they rip. But then again, I think drag racing is pointless too, and if you're not taking your truck to the strip, why do you want stacks? I've seen some serious trash driving around in old gas powered trucks with stacks... so silly.

Wait, weren't we talking about 2 strokes?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-09-2015, 12:08 PM Reply   
Well I'm personally glad to here from a few people here that the smoke shows seem to be a thing of the past and not the norm. Videos like this made me hate the lifted diesel truck crowd
http://youtu.be/AOIBw1rXzy4

My personal experience riding road bikes with trucks that seemd to deliberately smoke you out only reinforced my hate for them. But it's good to hear people are getting a clue, weather is diesels spewing or 2 strokes spewing or people smoking. Slowly but surely people seem to get the idea that your personal "likes" don't override other people's Heath,
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-10-2015, 10:37 AM Reply   
^ what's funny about that is that also have a wake boat in tow