Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jclimie)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-09-2015, 4:53 PM Reply   
Hello,

I am looking to buy a new Supra SE550, they are now coming with JL audio and my dealer said it is much better than the previous Polk audio. With that being said it could not get much worse with the polk so I don't know how much better it is. I have read several posts about exile audio and after just getting off the phone with Brian from Exile I feel like they are a great choice to go with. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? How do they sound? Do they hold up to the weather? Any input would be great.

Thanks
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       09-09-2015, 5:11 PM Reply   
You just started a stereo war thread. Pop some popcorn....

With that being said I have a complete Exile system. It performs very well and has been super reliable. Brian has been fantastic to work with. I like the quick release on the towers so you can bag them up for weather or security.

Lots of good companies out there but Exile has treated me right!!
Old     (Shane10p)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-09-2015, 5:18 PM Reply   
Not gonna be a war relax ..... No matter what you get Wetsounds , Exile or any other brand my opinion is aftermarket is always better. I always like to order my boat with stereo delete and add my own. I have been running Exile gear for a long time and love it ! Brian is a great guy and very knowledgable and seems to always be available to answer questions. I have a heard the new JL gear is much better but personally I don't think it will be as good as going aftermarket especially towers , amps and sub. End of the day no matter what you put in your boat it's going to deepend greatly on the install and tune I just don't believe the factory systems offer much and seem to be very spendy on the build sheet.

Last edited by Shane10p; 09-09-2015 at 5:20 PM. Reason: Updated
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-09-2015, 5:32 PM Reply   
Jeff,
We could debate all day one brand versus another. But it doesn't have to become a brand war. Let me just speak to the JL Audio issue, the brand that the boat comes with.
You can't get better quality than JL Audio products. Build quality is excellent and sound quality is excellent. Every JL Audio 'marine' speaker is built in Florida USA...not in China. The JL Audio marine R&D and design-to-production process dwarfs everything else IMO. This is the only product with in-house domestic design engineers in all phases and categories of product, with the exception of minor products like Bluetooth and such that everyone sources overseas.
However, factory from any boat manufacturer, is never going to give you the absolute best system execution whether system tuning, supply cables, or in the finer acoustic details. They (boat builders) are not real audio people and their offerings are usually constrained by budget. So I can't say that the factory JL Audio system will live up to the JL Audio product potential or to your personal expectations. It may be a great base system that you might consider an unfinished project.
So I would start by finding out exactly what the Supra sound system comes with, model number by model number, and compare that offering to an aftermarket JL Audio system of the same budget. Also, a qualified installing dealer (not all dealers are equal) can make a monster difference in the final system performance.
Old     (Jbuenojr)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-09-2015, 9:11 PM Reply   
Brian at exile . Is a stand up guy. I own a 2013 sanger v215.
I went exile system ( cabin,tower,woofer,amps,preamp) all was installed by me.
Tuning and sub box done by me too.
The main reason go with exile was budget and bang for the buck.
Wetsounds maybe better they say . But i am very happy with decision.
I was don perdo one weekend and a guy in a master craft had a wetsounds system.
And hate to say it he was pissed my sound better then his. .the mk2 woofer rocks hard.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-09-2015, 9:43 PM Reply   
I have been die hard Wetsounds for over 10 years now, but my most recent boat had 4 Exile XM9s already in it powered by a arc 600.2, and I can confidently say I like their sound more than my Wetsounds Rev8s on the same amp, very happy with Exile so far.
Old     (powers25)      Join Date: Jul 2015       09-10-2015, 6:19 AM Reply   
I have Wetsounds, Exile and JL in my boat. I will say my 2 wetsounds REV410 on a SD4 amp is something to hear. you wont be disappointed. downside $$$$$

i have 3 pair of JL speakers in the boat in a exile Javilin amp and i am very happy with that as well.

I can bang all day at the sandbar and no issues with heat or anything on the wetsounds or exile amps
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-10-2015, 8:06 AM Reply   
I have had Exile on my last 4 boats and been very very happy with them. With that being said, I am anxious to hear the new JL stuff for Supra, but my plan is to still upgrade to Exile next year. As DavidAnalog said you probably will not see the full potential of the equipment from the factory. You will be happy with Exile and Brian's support for sure. They look good too... I know I should have painted the grills.... too lazy...
Attached Images

Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-10-2015, 10:37 AM Reply   
Jeff - good talking to you the other day. I passed along your info to the local guy that has a SE550 on the market. You should talk to him. He might be able to save you a whack of money on the boat if your not set on the '16. And he's got the Exile setup your looking for already installed.

I think a lot of this comes down to price. I was surprised to hear the tower setup on the factory option was 5,500.00 from Supra. The Exile version is 3,500.00 and has twice the power on tap, includes a 12" woofer versus a factory 10". I think whatever route you go, I'd look at a stereo delete and do the boat how you want it-- with whatever brand you want in it. you'll save $$$

-Brian
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-10-2015, 2:52 PM Reply   
I have JL in boat speakers and JL amps in my 16' Supra SA. I added Exile surf speakers and sub. Best sounding system I've had. Brian and his crew always handle business like no other.

Old     (jclimie)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-10-2015, 6:27 PM Reply   
Love that sub setup.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-11-2015, 2:20 AM Reply   
Thanks, I went to high school with a guy who has a shop that does a lot of old school rides and he can do some really cool things. I went with a sealed box this time and it sounds pretty dang good.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-11-2015, 7:51 AM Reply   
I'm a sucker for service and Brian from Exile was awesome to work with.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       09-11-2015, 9:58 PM Reply   
JL is great equipment but, good luck getting any OEM support or upgrade guidance from the manufacturer. Brian is fantastic to work with. He's always gone above and beyond the "status quo" regardless of whether you take it to a shop or do it yourself. +1 for Exile.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       09-12-2015, 8:08 AM Reply   
Brian is the man. Super knowledgable, great customer service, and has always answered any question that I've asked. Exile Audio is my preferred choice at this moment.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-14-2015, 6:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by newty View Post
JL is great equipment but, good luck getting any OEM support or upgrade guidance from the manufacturer. Brian is fantastic to work with. He's always gone above and beyond the "status quo" regardless of whether you take it to a shop or do it yourself. +1 for Exile.
Totally inaccurate on the CS and TS from JL. I can call them and ask for the same guy over and over and he is always there. I have even had Eric build a box for me that would fit a boat and tuned to their spec's. Even sent over a PDF with a cut sheet.

Exile service is great as well but to say that about JL is inaccurate.

If you ever need help from JL Audio - call Eric Cole.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       09-14-2015, 7:30 AM Reply   
Good to know. I guess that was more of a blanket statement regarding OEM equipment from my experience anyway.