Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-27-2016, 3:32 PM Reply   
I will probably do nothing but I am getting really tired of California. Traffic, cost, politics and now they are talking about draining my home lake again (Tulloch). I am sure I will just continue to bitch and do nothing but I would love to hear about other options out there.

I have small children so I need to have good schools.

Would like a small town feels

House on a lake.

Give me your thoughts so I can dream while I am stuck dealing with the BS
Old     (tweeder)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-27-2016, 3:49 PM Reply   
What about somewhere near Charlotte? Lake Norman has affordable home prices, looks like some neat smaller communities around the south side of the lake that are roughly 30 minutes out of the city. That or Charleston, got to get over the gators in the rivers but gorgeous down there.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-27-2016, 3:55 PM Reply   
I left 29 years ago. I suppose you are a slave to you skills and schooling like most. If that is not the case then your are very fortunate indeed. I love the Denver area but lakes are lacking. I think I would try to make it work simply due to everything else the area offers. Texas may be an option as well however, for the money I think Tennessee is really hard to beat. Im not gonna pitch it. use some of the dream time and look around. The upper lakes are big deep and clear. People are nice and genuine. You might actually meet your neighbors.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-27-2016, 4:09 PM Reply   
I am fortunate economically that I work in a family business and do the books. I am not tied geographically.

This place looks awesome but I don't think it is a permanent residence kind of place.

http://www.lastchancelakes.com/gallery.php
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-27-2016, 4:13 PM Reply   
I dream on an hourly basis of pulling my stakes here in hell, I mean CA, and going to northern Idaho. Plenty of space and if you have enough money you can buy a ton of land with your own small lake. Also tons of awesome lakes up in central Idaho as well.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-27-2016, 4:24 PM Reply   
Problem is the south seems too humid and mid west seems too cold. Now I am sounding like a whiney Californian. I don't mind a colder winter but I need the lakes to be able to heat up in the summer.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-27-2016, 5:35 PM Reply   
Then add altitude and lose the humidity along with the city. Watauga Lake this July every morning was 65 and fog smoke rolled over the 80 degree lake. Nice view with the morning coffee.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-27-2016, 11:25 PM Reply   
At the risk of creating a vacuum, Mike, You just need a simple reality check. For starters, walk out your front door right now. Feel that temperature?..... Right now, I'm in shorts and a t-shirt outside at 11:20 pm enjoying a cocktail after getting home from an afternoon on the Sacramento River (water temp 71) where I saw ZERO other boats the entire afternoon! The grass is almost NEVER greener elsewhere if you live in NorCal. Your complaint is like a Mercedes owner that's pissed he can't pay Chevy prices for a Mercedes. You have multiple other lakes near you that you can go to temporarily if they drain Tulloch. Quitcha cryin!

Last edited by markj; 09-27-2016 at 11:28 PM.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-27-2016, 11:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidarider View Post
I dream on an hourly basis of pulling my stakes here in hell, I mean CA, and going to northern Idaho. Plenty of space and if you have enough money you can buy a ton of land with your own small lake. Also tons of awesome lakes up in central Idaho as well.
Yeah. Tons of lakes that are near freeze-your-balls-off-cold right now and won't be warm enough to ride again until May-June at best.. Their season is about over if it isn't already. Does that private lake come with a heater? LOL
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-28-2016, 5:52 AM Reply   
^^^^ What he said. I lived in CA for a few years, but work eventually brought us back to TX. If you can financially swing Nor Cal (which you obviously can looking at previous posts) I wouldn't consider leaving. There is no place nearly as nice in this country with regards to climate. Lots of people say TX is great, and having lived here a bunch of my life, the weather flat out sucks. Too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. Sure you can make a fortune here and live cheap, but you're limited on what you can do in your free time to enjoy it IMO. We've considered moving back to CA and the only thing that keeps me out is the traffic/commuting, it really is a nightmare like no other. The state income tax is also brutal, but it doesn't look like you have to sweat that too much. Being an outdoors person, I would wager you would quickly regret a relocation.
Old     (tweeder)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-28-2016, 5:54 AM Reply   
Markj, I couldn't disagree more with you about NorCal.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-28-2016, 7:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeder View Post
Markj, I couldn't disagree more with you about NorCal.
No problem. That's quite alright. I'll just keep enjoying these warm, empty waterways by myself.
Old     (tweeder)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-28-2016, 8:20 AM Reply   
lol, being in Denver, I really do miss the California water and long riding season. I was a regular on Berryessa for years. Its the whole lump of other stuff that drove me California.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-28-2016, 9:48 AM Reply   
I think we are going to start traveling around and see what is out there (haven't done much of that). I understand California is a great state and maybe we will see that the grass is not greener but it is nice to know that is the case. I made a large investment in property up at Tulloch and that was always my end game. I love the small town feel up there on the lake and surrounding areas but the schools are less than desirable and now with the lake situation, with the fish flows, I don't want to worry about having water every single year.

Plus at the end of the day I am more of Chevy guy.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-28-2016, 9:52 AM Reply   
Could always come up to the pacific northwest but then you get to deal with damp cold and a heck of a lot more rain. Or, you could come across the border in to Canada. The real estate costs are about the same as California only up here you have to live in an igloo and replace "huh" with "Eh" to fit in and we ride beaver tails instead of surfboards. We'd restrict you on the weapons you are allowed to have and you can't carry but we also don't have near the crime....Usually the middle finger will suffice. Your presidential options may also factor in to this potential move. You can choose multiple local lakes that you will most likely never see an officer patrolling unless it's a holiday as we aren't nearly as policed as our neighbors down south considering California as a state has 3 Million more people than all of Canada combined. You'd get free medical but your liquor costs will double....paying for your medical. You still get about 6 months riding time in which is still more than some states. Heck, I'm going later today. The weather is about 70 and the water is just under this.
Old     (GoneBoatN)      Join Date: Jun 2014       09-28-2016, 10:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfield View Post
^^^^ What he said. I lived in CA for a few years, but work eventually brought us back to TX. If you can financially swing Nor Cal (which you obviously can looking at previous posts) I wouldn't consider leaving. There is no place nearly as nice in this country with regards to climate. Lots of people say TX is great, and having lived here a bunch of my life, the weather flat out sucks. Too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. Sure you can make a fortune here and live cheap, but you're limited on what you can do in your free time to enjoy it IMO. We've considered moving back to CA and the only thing that keeps me out is the traffic/commuting, it really is a nightmare like no other. The state income tax is also brutal, but it doesn't look like you have to sweat that too much. Being an outdoors person, I would wager you would quickly regret a relocation.
You kind of hit the nail on the head for me. I work from home so don't have to deal with the traffic for the most part. Even at that I do my best to avoid it at all other times and at all costs.

I have my boat stored at the Delta. Except for prime summer weekends you can always find a spot to ride at. Fall and spring are epic. My favorite MX track is 15 minutes from where I live and a bunch of others with an hour or so. I love to backpack and have some of the best places on this earth to choose from. I like to ski and snowboard, and although we have some dry winters, we have some pretty epic ones too.

The cost of living and taxes suck. The liberal mentality sucks worse. IMO, really far north in CA is way better than Idaho option with the exception that is is still in CA (taxes). Sometimes you have to pay the price to play.

Last edited by GoneBoatN; 09-28-2016 at 10:22 AM. Reason: grammer
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       09-28-2016, 10:22 AM Reply   
People don't usually think of it but Arizona it has alot to offer for everyone......

Here in Phoenix, I can ride YEAR ROUND with nothing more than a wet suit. Half the year doesn't require a wetsuit and the only busy months at the lake are the 3 summer months. Speaking of summer, thats usually peoples main concern. The heat during summer. I get it. But unless you work outside it is a dry heat and isn't bad, I LOOK FORWARD TO THE SUMMER HEAT ALL YEAR LONG. It means the lake weather is absolutely perfect. The water is a nice 86 degrees and as long as you are OK with waking up early you will get rideable water without much traffic.

If you want to get away from the city or want something colder there is flagstaff that gets alot of snow and is nothing like Phoenix. If you want something in between there is prescott and alot of other small towns (that still have access to lakes). The other great part is that you can actually live right outside the city for a 'small town' feel, but still be right next to the 'big' lakes. The city edges end pretty abruptly and turns into nothingness/small town very fast. I'm in a populated suburb and the lake I go to is 25 minutes away to the shore, but the lake itself is literally surrounded by miles and miles of nothingness.

I was in a similar situation as you 8 years back (except from Ohio). I work online and had the means to move anywhere. After considering all places (including California and Florida) we chose AZ.

Last edited by timelinex; 09-28-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       09-28-2016, 11:00 AM Reply   
Florida has a million lakes if you don't mind gators. They don't mind us so nothing to fear really. If you are afraid of humidity then stay away. Otherwise we have lots of nice small towns on lakes with an endless summer. Plus no state income tax.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-28-2016, 1:07 PM Reply   
People hate on Reno, but cost of living is way less than CA (for now), taxes are low, and we are on the back door of the Sierras. I love how people from Northern California claim that Tahoe is in their back yard but they live at least twice as far away from the lake and resorts as we do in Reno. And then if you want to really get away, the eastern sierras are only a few hours, as are zillions of square miles of wild Nevada.

Overall the schools suck here but for the affluent/upper middle class they are fine to very good (have to pay to play with buying house in the right school district). And if you have VERY high achieving kids, the Davidson Academy is also here and is free (assuming your kids can get in).

Gotta trailer your boat, no real way around that.

Not a year round boating location, but a place with four seasons where winter isn't bad and lakes like Shasta and Bullards Bar are no farther than they are from most folks in the bay area.

In my experience, house on a lake also means country bumpkin school districts. Good school or rural school... pick one.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-28-2016, 5:42 PM Reply   
I'm in the northeast, I'll tell you it sucks not being able to ride about 6 months out of the year. Early and late season is a battle of will to get in water when it's in the 40s and gets old fast, and good luck finding people willing to be in a boat early morning when it's damn cold out. Just something to think about for any of the areas that get a real winter with freezing temps. Granted it would suck to have rideable weather all year round but no water.

My end game is likely somewhere in the southeast but far enough north that gators don't outnumber people, winters are mild and short, you can ride most of the year, droughts are few and far between, affordable waterfront on lakes. Texas would be an option too but probably a bit more expensive to be near jobs. There may be a possibility to relocate to SoCal eventually but it seems rideable water is few and far between down there and as such a long tow to be on busy water. I also don't like the population density where everyone is on top of everyone else and of course hate communism and taxes. The traffic sucks, but really to me seems better than the northeast in that people seem to generally drive less aggressively and more courteously as if they maybe just accept that it is what it is. As an outsider who has never been to NorCal or seen the delta, if I was going to move to CA I imagine the delta being a great home ride spot from how people here talk about it.

Anyhow, all I can recommend from experience is don't move to the northeast, there are a lot of great areas for boating and watersports but winter can be long and cold.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-28-2016, 5:46 PM Reply   
I just want to say, CA is the WORST. I spent two years there and hated every day of it.

Nice place to visit, decent weather, but living there is a serious drag. AZ for the win, or any other southwest state for that matter.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-28-2016, 6:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
I just want to say, CA is the WORST. I spent two years there and hated every day of it.

Nice place to visit, decent weather, but living there is a serious drag. AZ for the win, or any other southwest state for that matter.
Whoa! sounds like Cali kicked your as$ as well as some others here. Too bad. Sounds like you lived in a bad area or you were never able to "plug in". Every state has it's bad areas. I guess I could believe it's not ideal if you don't have the right career in the right area, but to say it's the worst?
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-28-2016, 10:58 PM Reply   
I lived in NorCal forever and thought sure I'll try Boulder CO it was cool...real cool zero degrees for days. I moved back small town California Walnut Grove on the Delta and theres no way I'm ever leaving again
Old     (jww)      Join Date: Oct 2013       09-29-2016, 4:34 AM Reply   
CO is a nice place to live. However, if you love water sports you will be frustrated if you move here.
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       09-29-2016, 7:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
Could always come up to the pacific northwest but then you get to deal with damp cold and a heck of a lot more rain. Or, you could come across the border in to Canada. The real estate costs are about the same as California only up here you have to live in an igloo and replace "huh" with "Eh" to fit in and we ride beaver tails instead of surfboards. We'd restrict you on the weapons you are allowed to have and you can't carry but we also don't have near the crime....Usually the middle finger will suffice. Your presidential options may also factor in to this potential move. You can choose multiple local lakes that you will most likely never see an officer patrolling unless it's a holiday as we aren't nearly as policed as our neighbors down south considering California as a state has 3 Million more people than all of Canada combined. You'd get free medical but your liquor costs will double....paying for your medical. You still get about 6 months riding time in which is still more than some states. Heck, I'm going later today. The weather is about 70 and the water is just under this.
X2
I live in Christina lake Bc. I will have the lake to myself today. It will be 86 here today and the water is 69 deg still. That is cooler than normal. Small town like 1000 people in the winter. Close to schools.mclose to awesome sking and mountian biking within a 30 min drive.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-29-2016, 8:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftskir View Post
I lived in NorCal forever and thought sure I'll try Boulder CO it was cool...real cool zero degrees for days. I moved back small town California Walnut Grove on the Delta and theres no way I'm ever leaving again
If you live in one of those houses that has it's own dock on the west side of the river, you win.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-04-2016, 9:36 AM Reply   
Have trips planned to Tennessee and Texas. Time to voyage out and see what is out there. Thanks again, even those that told me to stop whining.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-04-2016, 9:41 AM Reply   
Raleigh or Charlotte. There aren't any lakefront home in Raleigh area lakes, but we have awesome riding spots and an awesome community of wakeboarders. Charlotte has Lake Wylie and Lake Norman which have lakefront homes.

North Carolina is where it's at! The heat/humidity isn't that bad.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-04-2016, 9:43 AM Reply   
This past winter I flew into Tacoma from Denver to go up into Canada for some snowboarding and kind of fell in love with Tacoma. Heck just going to the airport was a selling point. It's a beautiful area, there appears to be water for boating, snow for snowboarding/skiing and a smaller town feel to it. I would tell you Denver but we have tiny lakes (if you can call them that) and way too many people now. When I moved here 26 years ago, I thought it was the greatest place to live ever, now it's too many people.
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       10-04-2016, 10:59 AM Reply   
Texas isn't that hot most of the time... and when it is, that is why you have a boat and get wet.

We just were on the lake this weekend. Air temps around 85 and water temps around 85. Virtually no one on the lake this time of year once school starts.

I was just in San Diego this past week.. nice place to visit, but the water is too dayum cold for me. I hate cold water and much below 85 water temp is too cold.
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       10-05-2016, 6:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPMike0663 View Post
Have trips planned to Tennessee and Texas. Time to voyage out and see what is out there. Thanks again, even those that told me to stop whining.
What part of texas are you looking at? It's a big place and all the major metro areas are completely different when it comes to riding. Austin would be the first place I would look at, then the Dallas/FW area and then Houston. I haven't heard of any good lakes over in the San Antonio area.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-05-2016, 7:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPMike0663 View Post
Tennessee and Texas? Don't forget your banjo and your biggest belt buckle. JK. Good luck in your search.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-05-2016, 11:09 AM Reply   
I think we are going to fly in to Austin, spend some time there and then head to the out skirts of the San Antonio to visit some family friends that moved there last year.

Mark,
You don't know me, I am all about the banjo and belt buckle. You must not know the Copperopolis, Tulloch area very well.
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       10-06-2016, 5:44 AM Reply   
We have lots of banjos and belt buckles in Florida and some of the best lakes in the us. Cable parks just short drives away if you don't live near one. Great beaches. Oh and giant hurricanes - F Mathew
Old     (padgett)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-06-2016, 6:24 AM Reply   
Come to somerset ky. Awesome big Lake with no restrictions and very friendly people. Beautiful scenery as well. Has a small city feel in town and can be as Country as you want. For what you pay in California,you could have a very very nice house on the lake
Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-07-2016, 9:38 PM Reply   
I think you will have a hard time beating Copper, especially if you're on the water. It's expensive for a reason.Too bad it's so crowded with tubers and surfers.It is convenient though. Good luck in your searches. Please report back.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-10-2016, 10:01 AM Reply   
I agree it would be hard to beat Copper. But there is a lot of environmental chatter that they are going to drain the lake. As is they are heavily draining Melones for fish flows. If that problem gets rectified I will eventually move up there and live life and be happy but I am concerned.

I wakeboarded up there this weekend and Tulloch is tough to beat this time of year.