Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-16-2012, 5:36 PM Reply   
Well this might be a follow up to my earlier rant and rave post but this is a real search for similar experiences and what anyone did!

So here is what I have. I have an 08 Malibu 23LSV on an 08 Extreme Trailer. Extreme is a company in Rialto Ca., and most Malibu boats around here tend to have Extreme trailers they ride on.

Here is what has happened in the past. 2 years ago in 2010 I blew two tires in one summer. (on a side note I found out Extreme put tires made in 2004 on my brand new 2008 trailer, thanks!) The tires on this 08 trailer are sized ST235/60r15. Most importantly is the 15 inch rim with what I've learned are considered to be low profile trailer tires. Replacement tires were extremely hard to find with most companies telling me that this size is not a trailer tire. When trying to find alternatives I learned there was no alternative because the wheel housing area of the trailer was so small, larger tires can not fit inside of it.

Eventually a local tire shop figured out Carlisle was the only company to make these sized tires and I got replacements which were nice and expensive. Oh well...

This last month I blew 2 more tires. Here is the real problem, CARLISLE NO LONGER MAKES THESE SIZE TIRES! There is no trailer tire I can find with a class C or D rating that will fit in the wheel wells. Discount Tires learned there were 4 of these size tires across the county left in their affiliate stores, but upon calling, it seems like everyone knew of this problem and these tires were already reserved.

I have called multiple tire companies, and have learned I'm not the first person with this problem with Extreme and nobody has an easy solution other than buy all new 14 inch wheels which will provide the extra clearance for larger and normal trailer tires. I'm looking at around $1000 for all new wheels and tires.

I've also exhausted searching EBAY and CL.

Has anybody with an Extreme trailer encountered this problem and found another solution! Thanks in advance.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-17-2012, 4:40 AM Reply   
I have a 08 Boatmate with 18'' wheels . Could you replace the fenders to fit tires with more availability?

Last edited by mhunter; 08-17-2012 at 4:43 AM.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-17-2012, 5:17 AM Reply   
Big hammer, make them fit
Old     (Mahoney86)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-17-2012, 5:42 AM Reply   
I agree, changing the fendors might be your best bet. Then go to Pep Boys and get a cheap pair of 18" rims and tires there or search craigslist... Im doing house cleaning and I have 3 sets of 19" rims and tires that off my old cars and Id be lucky to get $500 for them. So look around
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-17-2012, 5:49 AM Reply   
^yikes on that advice, I'd stick with your 15" trailer wheels and get the highest rated tires you can for them
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       08-17-2012, 6:07 AM Reply   
The main issue in going with the smaller tire is you drop to a "C" load rating. Looks like the 235/60/15 from Carlisle is rated at 2200lbs. Going with a similar height 14" tire with only give you about 1760lbs. This drops you total load capacity (as far as tires can hold) from 8800 to 7040. Your boat weights about 5000 + trailer +fuel + gear = I bet you're over 7000lbs.

Can you not squeeze something like a 205/75/15 in there? They are 27.2" tall which means they are only 1" taller than what you currently have. They make a load range "C" & "D" so make sure you get the "D". They will hold 2150lbs and get you back to the load rating you currently have. The only other way would be to modify the trailer fenders or go with differenty tire/wheel sizing.

Honestly if it where me, I would look into modifying the trailer to fit larger tires on the 15" wheel. I was having issues with my single axle trailer and tires the past few seasons. I went from a 225/75/15 "D" to "E" load rating. (2540 to 2850 lbs) I also switched from Goodyear to Maxxis. So far I'm very happy with the new tires, but I've only used them this season. Even though I don't think you are close to your current load capacity, it sounds like your tires are giving out under the load before their time. They are 2" taller than your current tire, but the extra capacity couldn't hurt you!

I've never been a fan of large trailer wheel/tire packages. (18" or larger) Does anyone even make a true trailer tire for a wheel that big? If you were ever in a bad situation I bet you wouldn't got to any tire shop in town and find one! I would stick with 15".

Good luck with it!

Last edited by corerider; 08-17-2012 at 6:10 AM.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       08-17-2012, 6:18 AM Reply   
Another thing I forgot... Do you store the boat/trailer outdoors? The sunlight on the tires will deteriate them prematurely as well. If so, you might want to come up with a way to cover them.
Old     (holmes)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-17-2012, 6:38 AM Reply   
I thought some guys have modified thier trailer to increase height and wheel well space. Something with the leaf springs or flippng the axle....sorry I don't remember the details.

I am amazed at all the similar problems recently listed with trailers and tires. Tires seem to be the biggest rip. This winter I will be putting jacks under my trailer to take all pressure off the tires and maybe let a little pressure out of the tires.

I just changed my break pads and found three other problems I had no idea of. Those dang wooden wheel well covers are a joke, rotten, rusted, and about to fly off.... That will take some time to pattern, cut, seal, cover, new hardware,....

Sorry for the rant, I also have to replace my wedge actuators this weekend....
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-17-2012, 9:36 AM Reply   
LOL, the hammer to the fender idea is NOT an option!

And I can't do the huge 18 inch rims because the wheel housing area is to small. In fact the problem is these damn 15 inch rims are to big. The only company that made tires small enough on a 15 inch wheel to fit on this trailer design no longer makes them.

And we found some 14 inch tires that are class D and rated at 2200 lbs so that wont be an issue. I'm just so amazingly frustrated that now I have to buy 5 new tires and 5 new rims all because of this ridiculous trailer design and Carlisle's decision to stop making these sized tires.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-17-2012, 10:59 AM Reply   
If you're blowing 2 Carlisle tires every other summer, are you really disappointed that you will soon have the option to go with other tire manufacturers?
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-17-2012, 12:37 PM Reply   
I got the same problem except with a ST235/60r14 on an 07 extreme. It's a pain getting new tires once they blow, and in reality they should have never been put on this trailer with a 23' malibu sitting on it. The carlisle 14" tire is only rated at 1850lbs.

You can easily lift your trailer by turning the torsion axles down which will allow you to get nice 15" trailer tires. In the 15" tire range, I believe you can even get some that are 10ply. They will be skinnier in the 205 or 215 range, but they will have plenty of extra load capacity for your boat.

Last edited by jv210; 08-17-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old     (myroad)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-17-2012, 3:21 PM Reply   
Looks like your a little too far south for them but I have been getting mine at Les Schwab. They do not stock them but can get them for you. I just have them order an extra and let it sit in the garage till needed. That way all I have to do is get it mounted when I lose a tire. Haven't ordered one in a while, hopefully they can still get them.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-17-2012, 3:44 PM Reply   
Bu Coo,

The only 14 inch tire that is a load range D that I am aware of is made by Kumho. Is that the tire that you have found, just out of curiosity?

As mentioned above, I am curious to hear what is causing you to lose so many tires. I would feel pretty burned about having 2004 tires on an 08 trailer.

Ditto what was said, I think any good trailer shop can move the torsion axles and give you the extra inch that you need to pick up another sized tire. The total diameter of the other sized tires that are available is not going to be more than an inch taller than the ones you have.
Old     (jbird)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-17-2012, 3:51 PM Reply   
Have you at least tried to contact this trailer manufacture to express your concerns! That would be my 1st course of action, and to see what they have to say about it....Bad design on their part, should be responsible!
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-18-2012, 12:26 AM Reply   
Saberworks, Its bad but I have had issues with the breaks on this trailer. I've had it fixed twice but they still clinch up slightly on the same wheel and I think they are heating up the wheels and tires and causing it them to blow. Its just one more issue that I keep spending $ to fix, with each time they say its fixed, and each year they keep heating up only on the one wheel. BUT THAT'S A DIFFERENT STORY!!!

Jason, that is exactly what was recommended to me in The Malibu Crew forum, but I'm not savvy enough to even think about doing that myself. What kind of shop could do this adjustment? Can you explain the skinnier tires will give extra load capacity? Or did I read it wrong?

Tallredrider, Discount Tires found me some Goodyear tires that are 14 inch, D rated, will fit on my 5 x 4.5 rim and $110 each. And ya, I have a break issue that is getting fixed again. And ooooohhhhhh yaaaa, The 04 tires on the 08 trailer was a pretty awesome experience.

And Tallredrider I just haven't heard of trailer shops. Where do I find one?

Jay, OH YA! Unfortunately most Bu owners I know who have had Extreme trailers are very familiar with their customer service. I've been calling for 2 weeks now. If someone does answer the phone which is rare, they listen to me and then transfer me to somebody's phone who doesn't answer, and after a VM is left, I can't get a call back. Its typical for Extreme.

All things being equal and in my realistic opinion Extreme as a business doesn't have to care about customer service. I bet they don't consider me even a customer. They consider Malibu a customer. And they know next to nobody considers the trailer company and their reputation when they buy a boat. Of all of the things that led me to buy a Malibu, the Extreme trailer was not even on the list of concerns. So as long as Malibu keeps ordering from them, that's all they care about. Just my humble opinion.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-18-2012, 12:33 AM Reply   
OK so to update things, I went to Discount Tires and they found me 14 inch rims that will hold a 205/75r14 tire in D load capacity. 5 tires will run me about $700 after tax and installation and all the other little fees. The rims will run another $300 or so. So thats around $1000 which I really do not want to spend.

Now if I get the trailer lifted, I imagine I still will have to buy 5 new tires and that will run probably close to $700 also total. Does anyone know how much a "trailer shop" would charge to do this trailer height modification?

Last edited by brett564; 08-18-2012 at 12:33 AM. Reason: error
Old     (JustinMD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       08-18-2012, 1:52 AM Reply   
I personally think you are making this too difficult.

Buy a set of steel 14" wheels. Should be able to get them for $50-$65 ea. Search the internet for a place with free shipping and a low price.

Buy a set of BFG A/T KO LT195/75/14 I got mine for $550 to my door. (set of 4)

I used Pepboys to mount and Balance. They charged me $40.

I paid ZERO sales tax.

The BFG is not a trailer tire. I think this is a good thing though. They have a higher speed and load rating than any other 14" tire out there.

They are 1/2" smaller than the old tires.

I store my boat outdoors with wheel covers. My spare is one of the older tires I swapped out. Also with a tire cover.
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-18-2012, 7:29 AM Reply   
Been said already but I also went through this same problem with my trailer. Went to a 205/75R15 and turned down my Torsions a little can't tell anything changed plus I can find replacement tires for have the price of those Carlisle's
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-18-2012, 9:33 AM Reply   
Bu coo DON'T step down to a 14" tire, that's makes everything worse. I have 14" wheels and am dying to step up to a 15".

Get you trailer to a trailer place and get it lifted a little bit, that way you can run good 15" trailer tires. It's really an easy job, no more than an hours work. The'll probably have a tire there that can be used to determine how how to lift it.

What I said about narrower tires is that most trailer tires will be narrow than what your have, mostly in a 205 or 215 width. There is no problem with that, that's just the size they normally come in.

Extreme focuses on style and I personally think their trailer sucks. They install wide rims and tires to make them look better. The only wide trailer tires you'll find are the ones you and I run, in a 235 width. My 14" definitely don't have the load range needed for an LSV. Going to a more standard trailer tire will not look as good, but will provide piece of mind with a much higher load range.

I have to say, my brother is usually the one that has blow outs and I think it's because he drives too fast and heats up the tires. I usually keep it under 65 and have had no blowouts when I'm towing, I believe trailer tires are rated to a max speed of 65.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-18-2012, 3:36 PM Reply   
You can probably run whatever size tire you want. I suspect those are UFP torsion bar axles under that trailer. I just raised mine 1" because I was tired of it being such a low rider dragging/scraping over every speed bump and driveway. To raise the trailer you only need to remove the bolt (shown at the very top edge of my photo) then rotate the torsion arm, one click is about 1/2" of ride height change. See the torsion axle worksheet attached. If I were buying new tires and wheels I would stick with 215/75-14. They are common trailer tires, handle the load well, and have plenty of sidewall to take the unavoidable pot hole. If you keep them off the curbs and well inflated I suspect your troubles will disappear.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf torsion axle worksheet.pdf (628.1 KB, 399 views)
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-19-2012, 7:50 AM Reply   
Raising your trailer on torsion axles is not difficult. On my 2011, I actually lowered the trailer 1.5" because I had too much clearance and needed to fit the boat in my garage. It took me about one hour to lower. There is a great write up on Malibu Crew on a step by step on how to do this. If you have some basic tools, jack stands, floor jack its very easy to do.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-22-2012, 3:58 AM Reply   
OK, just to post an update, still no contact made with Extreme, and still not at the least bit surprised. My local dealership said they are going to raise the trailer for me so I can keep the 15 inch rims I have. While describing it they made it sound real easy and basic. Discount Tires found me some Carlisle 205/75R15 tires that will hold 2100 pounds a piece which is more than enough. They are about $110 a tire.

So after all is said and done, and with this latest problem with my Extreme Trailer, I am out another $700-$800 (5 new tires), after I had to replace all of them 2 years ago because they put on 4 year old tires on a brand new trailer, and after numerous expensive brake problems which I've lost track of.

Extreme Trailers, I hope you go out of business...
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-22-2012, 4:12 AM Reply   
On a side note, anyone around SoCal need any of these Carlisle 235/60r15 tires? I have 3 of them that are only 2 years old!

Last edited by brett564; 08-22-2012 at 4:12 AM. Reason: grammer
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-22-2012, 8:19 AM Reply   
Boo co the tires you have on now are rated to 2200 lbs, so if you going to a bigger tire at least get something that has more weight capacity. Might as well since your buying 5 new tires. That's my reasoning others may have different opinions.

Also most of the components on extreme trailers, like tongue, axles, brakes, etc are supplied by a company called ufp. They supply components for many trailer, so you cant really blame all your trailer problems on extreme.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-22-2012, 9:22 AM Reply   
Oh no, I can blame plenty on Extreme. Terrible trailer design, using old tires to put on new trailers, using tires that hardly anyone made and now nobody makes, horrendous customer service...

I can blame plenty on them...
Old     (SteveW)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-22-2012, 10:59 AM Reply   
I would skip the Carlisle tires completely. Pure Junk. If you are going with the 205/75/15 I would go with the maxxis m8008. They are also 8 ply with a 2150 lb load rating, but are a much better tire.
Old     (JohnnyDefacto)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-22-2012, 12:08 PM Reply   
save $110 and use one of your current carlisles as your spare. Keep the other 2 in the garage as back up spares.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       08-22-2012, 12:10 PM Reply   
Extreme Trailers are junk I agree. The tires on my trailer bought new were already 2 years older then my trailer as well. I had to replace a tire because the side wall was failing. The Extreme Trailer brakes lock up on my trailer going forward unloaded, (with out the boat) I just put the lock out key in the tounge every time to stop that from happing. It also locks up going backwards with the boat on the trailer sometimes. This means I have to go forward and back forward and back to get it to unlock the brakes or again I just put the lock out key in back in to disengage the brake system. The funny thing is I called Extreme and told them about my problem and they blaimed it on my truck and they sent me the lock out key for the tongue. I have had this problem happen with a Denali, F-250, Expedition, Dodge 3500 and now a Jeep Commander. These are the vehicles I have owed since I have owned my 06 Malibu on the Extreme Trailer. My other Malibu 2002 was on a SBC trailer and I had no problems at all. Extreme was an upgrade option and a very poor one at that when I bought the VLX. Sorry I purchased the trailer now.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-22-2012, 2:39 PM Reply   
You guys are funny blaming all your trailer problems on extreme, it's like blaming malibu if my Indmar engine dies.

I'm not defending extreme trailers, they look good but are not as good as they look. They don't even prime before painting the trailers, and the paint is thin as hell which causes a lot of rust to form in a short amount of time. I also don't like how they use these 235/60 carlsile tires to make the trailer sit lower, this is their low profile option.

But to blame extreme for brake problems, actuators, and reverse lockout solenoids is funny because many trailer companies use the same components from UFP and end up with the same problems. Most of your guy's trailers are out of warranty, what do you want extreme to do. Go to UFP direct, or online and buy the parts you need way cheaper them extreme offers.

B, your reverse problem is because your reverse lockout solenoid is not activating, either the connection is bad or the solenoid itself is bad. I got a friend with a different brand of trailer that does the same thing yours does when no boat is on it, the brakes lock up.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-23-2012, 12:32 AM Reply   
And just to add a thank you to everyone. I've learned a lot thanks to everyone who contributes to WW over the years and I really really appreciate it. I feel good not going to a 14 inch tire and learning that having my local dealer raising the trailer was a pretty easy thing for them to do.

And to finish off this post, I have to reply to Jason. I understand what you're saying and agree to some point. But the analogy to having engine issues and getting mad at Malibu when its an Indmar engine isn't that wrong IMO. If I build a product and label that product "Brett whatever," Its my responsibility as a business owner to research and test what parts I use to build my product. I think it is Extreme's fault when it comes to break issues and other stuff. I don't know much about this other company, but If I used junk parts to build my whatever, its still me that has to imagine I will suffer the fallout when these things starts to fall apart.

So basically after 4 years plus, this is what I know about Extreme just from my own trailer. They put old tires on brand new trailers to save money. They design trailers that look bling and are terribly designed to look low but cause damage to the keel of boats unless perfectly put onto trailers each and every time. They use brakes that constantly malfunction and grip the disk under normal cruising speeds. They use new style bearings that allegedly don't need to be repacked but blow every couple of years non the less. After 4 years I have numerous visible rust spots all over the place and its never seen salt water.

And that's just from my own experiences. Its seems like there is a lot more issues from other people who have offered their own stories.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-23-2012, 12:34 AM Reply   
Aw heck, I apologize Dave, I really meant this thread for advice which is what I found and was very useful. I didn't intend to kill a product but It just kind of came out. Thanks again for the forum!
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       08-24-2012, 9:28 AM Reply   
jv210, Thank you for letting me know what is wrong with my trailer brakes. I have taken my boat to the dealership I purchased my boat from and they have told me my trailer is fine each time and that is when I contact Extreme. They didn't tell me what you have told me either and sent me the lock out brake key and there fix all to me.

Well I am over my Extreme trailer at this point and will not take it in for the 3rd time. The lock out brake key will work fine until some lucky person buys my boat from me in two years out. I will of coarse tell them my issues with the brakes on the trailer. It is just sad that a company does not stand up and fix their issues with their product properly. Did you know that they don't use primer on there trailers either before painting them. I have nicks on my trailer and it goes straight to the bare metal. My buddy put duck tape lightly on his tongue to hold his lock brake key in his trailer as well and when he pulled the tape off and it pulled off his paint with the tape. He had to have it repainted.

I do agree that their trailers do look great, but my next boat will have a different brand of trailer. My two cents.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-24-2012, 10:40 PM Reply   
I've blown my fair share of carliles, and I don't blame extreme, I blame Carlisle for making a crappy product and am amazed that they still get put on these trailers.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-24-2012, 11:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jv210 View Post
You guys are funny blaming all your trailer problems on extreme, it's like blaming malibu if my Indmar engine dies.

I'm not defending extreme trailers, they look good but are not as good as they look. They don't even prime before painting the trailers, and the paint is thin as hell which causes a lot of rust to form in a short amount of time. I also don't like how they use these 235/60 carlsile tires to make the trailer sit lower, this is their low profile option.

But to blame extreme for brake problems, actuators, and reverse lockout solenoids is funny because many trailer companies use the same components from UFP and end up with the same problems. Most of your guy's trailers are out of warranty, what do you want extreme to do. Go to UFP direct, or online and buy the parts you need way cheaper them extreme offers.

B, your reverse problem is because your reverse lockout solenoid is not activating, either the connection is bad or the solenoid itself is bad. I got a friend with a different brand of trailer that does the same thing yours does when no boat is on it, the brakes lock up.
I live in AZ, its like THE most DRY place EVER! Even in the winter I dont take a towel because you dry off in like 10 minutes.....There is a good amount of rust forming on our extreme trailer....

I popped one of those bolts on the swing away tongue...had an interesting experience with customer service about that...told me to just go find a G8 bolt that would fit. Couldnt give me any exact dimensions or what to torque the bolt to.... granted It was no big deal to find a replacement, but still was strange that they didnt seem very interested.

Last edited by ilikebeaverandboats; 08-24-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-25-2012, 8:48 PM Reply   
And one more update. My local dealership took care of lifting my trailer. They told me the trailer was off balance!!! One side was 3 notches (whatever that means) from the other side. They now are suspecting that since the low side was where the tire blow outs were occurring, the extra wieght on that side may have been contributing to that. They trailer hieght had never been adjusted before, so it must have come like that from Extreme! Off balance!

Thank you once again Extreme Trailers!!!