Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wiegs)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-03-2011, 6:28 PM Reply   
Looking to learn how to wakeboard this summer. I would like to find a used wakeboard for the first year but if I can get a new setup as a good price I will go with that. I am 6' 195lbs. Suggestions?
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-03-2011, 6:45 PM Reply   
I suggest anything with a continuous rocker and rolled edges. A LF Trip is a good starter board that can take you to intermediate and beyond in my opinion. I do not know other brands continuous rocker boards with rolled edges but any board description will tell you. Also be aware with used boards that 08'-10' boards went from 8" binding plate to 6" binding plate, if you cannot find a board with bindings already on it.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-05-2011, 10:58 AM Reply   
Liquid Force Trip would be a great choice.
Old     (sambo13)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-05-2011, 11:38 AM Reply   
+1 on the Trip. Great beginner board, treated me well until I decided I wanted something with a 3-stage rocker. But I got a solid 3 years out of it, and would highly recommend it. It's a lower priced board as well, so you can use the cash you save there to get some upper-range bindings.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-05-2011, 6:41 PM Reply   
Try and find something new. It seems like everyone selling a board has only ridden it once. Even better are those who bought it a year ago but never had time to use it...those are the boards that are about 10 years old. Online sites like grizzly sports, evogear and boardersmall have good deals. Or, try your local shop, sometimes they'll have last year's models for cheaper.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-05-2011, 7:02 PM Reply   
I would suggest buying the dvd "THE BOOK"or joining LEARNWAKE.COM.The Liquid Force Trip is an excellent board to learn on.As well as any continuous rocker board.The coaching you will recieve wlll make up for the extra gas you won't have to buy going to the school of hard knocks.
Old     (supragirl)      Join Date: May 2011       06-06-2011, 10:41 AM Reply   
Hey Robert, it was good to meet you this weekend. My husband is Jamie. As we mentioned I'm totally new at all of this. I have I a Hyperlite Drive 134 and was not sure if this was considered "continuous rocker" like you talk about. In your great opinion is this a good board for a new boarder to ride?
Old     (wiegs)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-08-2011, 4:12 PM Reply   
I have heard good thing about CWB Faze wakeboard. I would go with the 140cm board. How does this compare to the LF trip?
Old     (67King)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-09-2011, 6:38 AM Reply   
Anyone have any opinions of the Body GLove Concept board? I'm brand new to this - my dad had me skiing when I was 4 (on one when I was 7), but it all stopped when I was 13. I'm now 37, and am supposed to pick up an A22 later today. I'm just looking for a basic board to learn on, since apparently no one skis any more. The Liquid Force that is referenced above is a good bit more expensive, and as I've got three kids, I won't be spending a whole lot of time on the board. I like the price of the BG Concept, and the fact that it already has bindings, making it more simple.
Old     (67King)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-09-2011, 6:52 AM Reply   
Forgot to mention I'm about 180lbs.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-09-2011, 8:50 AM Reply   
Ronix FTW
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-09-2011, 9:32 AM Reply   
67King/weigs - since this is a wake specific site, you'll get very technical answers. But if you're looking for a beginner board, Faze, BG or Trip all work fine. Really, the most commercial companies, Liquid Force, Hyperlite, CWB all make cheaper, beginner level boards. Just like anything else, as the price goes up, so do the features and skill level required.

For just starting off, just get the cheapest, most basic board. If you like the sport or want to progress, keep that board as the "boat" board and then invest in something better. Just my $.02
Old     (67King)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-09-2011, 12:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2001 View Post
For just starting off, just get the cheapest, most basic board. If you like the sport or want to progress, keep that board as the "boat" board and then invest in something better. Just my $.02
That was exactly my thought process. Had a hard time communicating the whole "I am a BEGINNER" thing to the salesperson yesterday. Thanks!
Old     (wiegs)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-09-2011, 7:35 PM Reply   
I'm going to pull the trigger on the LF trip board. Just want opinions on what size. I am 6' 200lbs. Hoping to to drop to 190 in a month Thinking of going with the 138 vs 142. Thoughts?
Old     (wiegs)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-09-2011, 8:14 PM Reply   
Just found that overtons has 2010 cwb faze boards for 269. Seems like a good deal.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...A&merchID=4006

This is such a hard decision.
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-10-2011, 4:23 AM Reply   
At 6' and 190, Get the 142 trip. or the 140 in the CWB.
Old     (wiegs)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-13-2011, 7:50 PM Reply   
I pulled the trigger on the CWB faze 140 board. Had 15% coupon, so I think I got a pretty good deal. Can't wait to try it out this weekend.