Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-24-2010, 7:46 AM Reply   
I'm sorry but MC really missed the mark on the 2011 graphics. I really cant stand the X graphics and especially on the port side of the boat where it reads backwards. Am I looking at anX2 or a 2X? I guess that makes it symmetrical to the starboard side, but whats the point when you can't see both sides of the boat at the same time?! I havent seen all the color/graphic options for 2011 but if I am lucky enough to order a boat this year, I sure hope there is something else available!

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-24-2010, 7:49 AM Reply   
but it goes so well with the new tower design.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-24-2010, 7:55 AM Reply   
you can't get it without the decals? or you could do a wrap.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-24-2010, 8:11 AM Reply   
Its pretty sad that you pay $75K for a boat and then have to spend another $3K on a wrap to make it look right!
Old     (jjaszkow)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-24-2010, 8:26 AM Reply   
Except for the symmetry issue, I actually like these graphics. I think they look a lot cleaner than years past. I do think they should have put the 2 in one of the legs of the X so that it didn't look like 2 X on the port side.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-24-2010, 8:35 AM Reply   
Adam- In my mind if you have 75k to spend on a boat you have another 3k for a wrap without question.
Old     (tcmercil)      Join Date: May 2006       08-24-2010, 8:46 AM Reply   
save the 3k and have them remove the decals - go for the clean look.... so much better than their tribal crap - or over the top "Extreme" Theme graphics... - or really over the top boat wraps....
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-24-2010, 10:13 AM Reply   
I wouldn't spend 75k on a 21 ft boat.
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-24-2010, 10:28 AM Reply   
I wouldn't spend 75k on any boat...
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-24-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
I can't stand the X2. That aside, does this mean they're not putting the powered tower on the X2 (and other X-series boats) and keeping it to the X-Star only?
Old     (PictureMeRollin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-24-2010, 10:49 AM Reply   
i think it looks good, but that trailer looks crappy.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-24-2010, 12:12 PM Reply   
The power tower is an option thankfully but I'm not sure if its available on the X2 or not. However the ugliness of the power tower needs a thread all its own.

Tim, I am with you on the clean look an obviously that would be an option. I guess the main point of this thread is to highlight that MC could have done a better job on the gel coat/graphics for the new model year.

For reference, here are pics of a 2011 X15 and X25. Neither of which look much better than the X2 above IMO.

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-24-2010, 12:14 PM Reply   
i see looks like cookie cutter designer. could have made all 3 a little different and better flo.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-24-2010, 12:16 PM Reply   
skulls. wrap that baby in about 5843048590560385948 skulls. that seems to be the trend these days.
Old     (ClutchIndustries)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-24-2010, 12:49 PM Reply   
IMO their graphics are horrible! They should of hired a professional designer (like me:-) Even if they purchased vectors off of istockphoto.com it would of looked better than this...
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-24-2010, 1:21 PM Reply   
If it were me I would have done something like this
Attached Images

Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-24-2010, 1:29 PM Reply   
The power tower will be available as an option for all of the boats. There are 3 tower options, 1.Power, 2.Tower shown on boats above, 3. tower like shown above,but without swivel board racks. As far as the Graphics go, just order it without the graphics installed and install them at the dealer like the ones posted above on the X2. The red and the gray is gel and the X and the 2 are the only stickers.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-24-2010, 2:06 PM Reply   
"i think it looks good, but that trailer looks crappy."

Nothing wrong with that trailer. That thing is solid.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-24-2010, 2:42 PM Reply   
i guess some people want a trailer with bling. i'm with jeremy i want a solid well built trailer.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-24-2010, 2:42 PM Reply   
Sweet.... looks like they copied the old Nautiques with the backwards N.
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-24-2010, 3:05 PM Reply   
I don't understand the whole X2 - 2X thing at all... If they were trying to make the two sides of the boat symmetrical, the "2" on the port side should be backward.... shouldn't it?
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-24-2010, 3:07 PM Reply   
Ha.

I own a Nautique and I was thinking, hey, I like these graphics.

Like Cochese, I think there is no need to be symmetric with the graphics. Can't see both sides of the boat at once.

In fact, I'd make the port side X2 more like X15 above. Have the X leaning backwards instead of pitched forward. Actually, I'd do the same on starboard side. I like the X swaying backwards.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-24-2010, 3:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
i guess some people want a trailer with bling. i'm with jeremy i want a solid well built trailer.
What about that trailer says, "solid or well built?" All is see is a single axle trailer under a boat that probably has an $80k msrp. Oh, I also see plastic fenders. Paint it blue and it would look like my neighbor's Bayliner trailer... and that's not a joke.

I know this post is about the hideous MC graphics, but I have never understood why so many MC's come on single axle trailers. And what's with those flimsy plastic fenders. They brag that they are the only boat company who makes their own trailers. IMO, this is not a selling point. I'd take a Ryan, DHM, or Boatmate trailer any day over the MC trailer.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-24-2010, 3:49 PM Reply   
you are cutting it down for being a single axle trailer on a 21 foot boat. plastic fenders wont rust and cost less to replace.i have one of those bling trailers only 3 years old and the quality stainless steel they sell now already has rust spots and the hubs are leaking and i haven't towed it 200 miles yet. i'm counting the 50 miles from dealer to lake and 100 mile round trip for first service and tower speakers.you don't always get what you pay for in a high dollar trailer.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-24-2010, 5:04 PM Reply   
Not to add fuel to the fire since I love my X45...but the fenders are made of fiberglass, not plastic.
I had a blowout on the way to Lake Powell and it ruined part of the fender. No fiberglass shop around here would repair it since the parts were scattered up and down the freeway. It was only missing the last 6 inches....but anyway, $850 later and I have a brand new fiberglass fender! yeah!

But this trailer tows like a boat that is lighter than my Tige was, even though I am about 1,000 pounds more now. I love the way the trailer pulls. The Tige trailer was made by Extreme.

Last edited by talltigeguy; 08-24-2010 at 5:06 PM. Reason: ..
Old     (ktrent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-24-2010, 5:36 PM Reply   
i must say the new style is not for me at all. i am sure they will offer other gel coat options knowing mc. i just think they look a little to toyish for my liking. not the edgy look we are used to from mc. i am sure they are peeps out there that love them and it may grow on us all so before we bash to hard lets wait to see them on the water and also see the build a boat tool so we can design our own.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-24-2010, 6:51 PM Reply   
Kevin, I agree 100%. I think the new design tool will change my mind about what can be done with these new boats. Zane told me in Knoxville that there are millions of color combos on each boat so surely there is one for everyone! Looking forward to playing with it even if I cant get a new boat this year.
Old     (apwrx)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-24-2010, 7:13 PM Reply   
IMO the boat and the trailer look cheap.Reminds me of an entry level i/o setup .I know Mastercrafts are a great boat i just dont care for the look of the x2 or the trailer it sits on.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-24-2010, 7:22 PM Reply   
So if it looks ugly fix it, have you even seen all the color options/combos for this boat? You can also take off stickers, but maybe that wasn't clear to you.
Old     (Foxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-24-2010, 10:18 PM Reply   
I really don't like this thread. You saw a picture of a boat that you don't like that happens to be new and you post how master crafts are fugly. The thing about boats is the hull design, materials, build quality, etc are the difficult/expensive parts of the boat to change and design. The gel coat pattern is super customizable the decals are removable and thats the part that gets talked about the most here. Anything that is this customizable is going to have examples of stuff that people don't like. If everyone liked the same thing boats would all look the same. I really like mastercrafts but most of their boats that i see I would never actually buy; that's ok though because their only needs to be one that I do like.

PS the power tower thing is an OPTION on EVERY boat that MC makes. It doesn't matter weather they make it or not. Adding another OPTION to the line can only attract buyers (the only power tower in the biz) It is impossible for this to deter buyers, if a buyer doesn't like it they don't buy/order it they buy/order the boat with the tower they DO like.

PPS The MSRP of the boat doesn't matter if you don't have to pay that amount to buy the boat so stop worrying about MCs haveing $90,000+ MSRPs if you can buy it for $72,000 who cares what the list price is.

PPPS The X2 2X decal is not my taste and probably never will be that does NOT mean you have to buy a $3000 wrap for the boat. Why not just design your own X2 decal that you do like or just strip it and don't worry about it.

Peace

Foxstar
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-24-2010, 10:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
you are cutting it down for being a single axle trailer on a 21 foot boat. plastic fenders wont rust and cost less to replace.i have one of those bling trailers only 3 years old and the quality stainless steel they sell now already has rust spots and the hubs are leaking and i haven't towed it 200 miles yet. i'm counting the 50 miles from dealer to lake and 100 mile round trip for first service and tower speakers.you don't always get what you pay for in a high dollar trailer.
I am not cutting down the trailer. I'm cutting down MC for cutting corners. All the propoganda they sprew about hull thickness, backing plates, superior materials, etc. Then they nickle and dime you for a proper dual axle trailer??? That X-2 is a 3,500 pound boat.

I know my boat came standard on a big heavy dual axle trailer with boxed frames, LED lights, Boat Buckles, Fulton F2 jack, brakes, etc. I would think MC would do at least that much, if not more considering the price difference. I'm not even talking about the low profile trailer with all the bling. Just a dual axle with fenders that won't crack/break.

Don't get me wrong, I like MC's. I just have always wondered about their trailer strategy.
Old     (Foxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-24-2010, 10:44 PM Reply   
If you have a lake lot that is less that 60 miles from a dealership or your house, why spend 2 cents more on a trailer than you need to. This single axel trailer is signifigantly cheaper that a tandem with stainless fenders, 18'' wheels, and low profile directional speed rated tires. It is still designed specifically for this boat and will work fine for towing the boat for short distances.
They can make anything 'standard' equipment like expensive trailer and stuff but why not give the buyer the option of cheaping our on stuff they don't consider important?? There is no downside to this at all.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-24-2010, 11:09 PM Reply   
Wow Foxstar, this thread is actually amazingly typical everytime a boat company comes out with a new design.

I don't like these graphics either, and +1 to the naked look.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-25-2010, 3:56 AM Reply   
The trailer on an X2 has several options. Single axel,double axel or blinged out. I know that the above X2 was built by the dealer to be a little more cost concious. It has analog gages instead of the BIG lcd display and a single axel trailer. They wanted to have a boat on the floor that was designed for someone not wanting it decked out. Build quality is still the same. Too bad there arent pictures of the interior. It is really sweet looking. Also, if you are not going to trailer it all over the place why not a single axel trailer. If you have to roll it around by hand in your garage you will be glad for the single axel.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-25-2010, 7:08 AM Reply   
Foxstar, this is not an MC bashing thread, I own an MC X2. I just havent seen a 2011 boat combo that I really like yet. Mainly I'm wondering if MC will lose customers with some of the fugly decals and color combos they are showing off. I hope not.

On the trailer, I have a tandem axle and honestly I dont tow long distances often enough to warrant it, and the single axle would be alot easier to manuver!! MCs trailers are nicely built and I have had zero problems with mine, but they are very pricey!

Mike, I really like the idea of a striped down boat with analog gauges. Boatworks certainly has the right idea on that X2. I have no interest in the BIG. Here is the dash on the X2 pictured above. I would want perfect pass and a different steering wheel but other than that I like it.

Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-25-2010, 7:11 AM Reply   
"I am not cutting down the trailer. I'm cutting down MC for cutting corners. All the propoganda they sprew about hull thickness, backing plates, superior materials, etc. Then they nickle and dime you for a proper dual axle trailer??? That X-2 is a 3,500 pound boat.

I know my boat came standard on a big heavy dual axle trailer with boxed frames, LED lights, Boat Buckles, Fulton F2 jack, brakes, etc. I would think MC would do at least that much, if not more considering the price difference. I'm not even talking about the low profile trailer with all the bling. Just a dual axle with fenders that won't crack/break.

Don't get me wrong, I like MC's. I just have always wondered about their trailer strategy."

They are not cutting corners on that trailer, I am telling you from personal experience. That X-25 is sitting on the same trailer (color too) that our XStar has. It has L.E.D. lights and heavy duty casters underneath the low points on the trailer, which is a huge plus. The X-1 we had was on a single axle trailer like on that X2. A single axle is a huge plus when you have to back the boat into tight areas without a whole lot of turning room. It is not always a necessity to have a dual-axle trailer. It's just like you don't need a F350 when a 150 will do the job.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-25-2010, 7:21 AM Reply   
amen jeremy i don't even own a mastercraft but i think they are great boats and great trailers.i think this thread is getting hit by mastercraft haters or possible even mastercraft wannabes.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-25-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
MC for sure screwed up in 2011.

I have never liked their speaker grills. The stark white looks soooooo cheap. Shoot, everything else in the boat is chromed/ brushed/ billeted out, why stop with the speakers?? If anything, go black. Thanks, I feel better!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-25-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
The trailer argument is dumb. 90% of Mastercrafts sold with single axle trailers are from relatively flat area's where there are lakes close by. If you tow your boat less than 5 miles to the launch and you don't care that it looks nicer like a dual axle trailer then why spend the extra dough on a tandem trailer? It makes no sense. If you put your boat in the water for the whole summer and only use the trailer a couple times a year what is the point of spending the extra money?

By the way, I don't like the gelcoat scheme or the vinyl graphics.

Adam, the good part is I bet you can still get the timeless all white like your boat. I still think your X2 is the best lookign one I have ever seen.

Last edited by polarbill; 08-25-2010 at 8:45 AM.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-25-2010, 9:00 AM Reply   
MC with the analog guages...I am in love!

I wonder if we will be seeing other manufacturers offering that as an option. Mark my words here once again...the fancy LCD screens are not something you are going to want in a 5-10 year old boat. Finding replacements is going to be difficult, when one breaks. Whereas every guage on that MC is going to be replaceable forever.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-25-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by talltigeguy View Post
MC with the analog guages...I am in love!

I wonder if we will be seeing other manufacturers offering that as an option. Mark my words here once again...the fancy LCD screens are not something you are going to want in a 5-10 year old boat. Finding replacements is going to be difficult, when one breaks. Whereas every guage on that MC is going to be replaceable forever.
I like the idea of analog gauges but are those Mastercraft one's going to be available in 10+ years? Can standard VDO/Stewart Warner/Faria gauges be mounted in those locations? This is where a nice flat gauge panel works a lot better or at least a molded gauge panel that hold standard size gauges.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-25-2010, 9:58 AM Reply   
Sorry for ruffling feathers on the trailer debate. I acknowledge you have all made good points as to why one might want a single axle trailer (save money, don't tow long distance, etc.). I might add another benefit to dual axle is that it keeps the tongue weight down, which is nice.

Here is why I'm harping on this (and keep in mind that I'm actually a fan of MC boats, not a hater, not a wannabe). You are all talking about these boats as if they are custom orders. I have no issues with somebody custom ordering a boat with single axle trailer for the reasons stated above. But those are pretty speciallized reasons. Many boats are purchased off the floor, out of dealer stock. As a buyer, it's frustrating to shop from dealer stock and see boats that have single axle trailers, RTP-1 instead of MCX, single battery set-up, teak platform, no trim plate, etc.. The dealer says, "this boat was ordered to keep the price down." But the price is still $70K, and this is the only X-whatever they have in stock, you can't shop other dealers, they won't do dealer trades, etc. So your only choice is to buy the overpriced stripped boat, or order an even more overpriced moderately equiped boat with graphics you don't like.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-25-2010, 10:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
Adam- In my mind if you have 75k to spend on a boat you have another 3k for a wrap without question.
That's wife logic right there.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-25-2010, 10:11 AM Reply   
If someone wants to buy that boat, but they want a tandem trailer, it would not be an issue. Boatworks would get a tandem trailer for the boat.
Old     (Foxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-25-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
Pictured here is the most ballin', rad, killer, boat ever made IMO. I don't like any of the boats pictured above but this one has me straight trippin'. ( I don't acutally talk like that)
Dealers can order all the crappy looking boats they want as long as a boat like this is still possible.
Attached Images

Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-25-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
I think good color combinations will be endless, however, the X-whatever logos will have to go.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-25-2010, 10:27 AM Reply   
I'M NOT TRYING TO ARGUE ON ANYTHING. just trying to make the point there are always 2 sides to a debate. everyone has different wants and needs. i like all boats but some i like better than others . sometimes it's looks, sometimes it's features and other times it's the wake. but what makes a boat SPECIAL is how much of all of that you get for the least money. yeah i'm frugal.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-25-2010, 11:09 AM Reply   
Thanks Brett! I know I'm partial but I think it looks pretty good too!

Foxstar, I guess different strokes for different folks. I like the interior on the X15 above, but not feelin the gelcoat. Like Jon said, with the endless combinations on these new boats, we are all bound to find one that we are stoked on! Maybe thats the silver lining here.....but please, no swoopy X graphics on mine please
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-25-2010, 1:01 PM Reply   
Are those metal fenders on the X15 trailer?

I have a 2000 MasterCraft and I think it's a great boat but I seriously don't think there is a boat (Or any vehicle for that matter) on the planet that I would pay $70k for unless I could use it for years with almost no depreciation. Even if I was a millionaire I don't think I'd be able to justify that considering that if I keep it for 5 years or so it will be worth 1/2 of what I paid for it.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       08-27-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
OFF TOPIC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
As a buyer, it's frustrating to shop from dealer stock and see boats that have single axle trailers, RTP-1 instead of MCX, single battery set-up, teak platform, no trim plate, etc.. The dealer says, "this boat was ordered to keep the price down." But the price is still $70K, and this is the only X-whatever they have in stock, you can't shop other dealers, they won't do dealer trades, etc. So your only choice is to buy the overpriced stripped boat, or order an even more overpriced moderately equiped boat with graphics you don't like.
I understand your position, but I was stoked to walk in and see this (1st pic) and make it into this (2nd pic). And like cwb4me, I am somewhat frugal (on certain things) but I also like to do things myself. That's why an almost bare-bones boat was perfect for me.
Attached Images

Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-27-2010, 12:56 PM Reply   
Can any of you honestly say that the 2011 models are better looking that Paul's 205V above?! What a beauty! If it aint broke dont fix it.

Last edited by wakecumberland; 08-27-2010 at 1:06 PM.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-27-2010, 1:15 PM Reply   
Paul's boat is one of my alltime favorites. I've seen his pics posted on the forum before... a true beauty!
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-27-2010, 8:20 PM Reply   
a black prostar 205v is gonna be my next boat, i love yours paul