Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-18-2014, 11:45 AM Reply   
I am just starting my research now but I would like to install a security system at my lake property. I just wanted to see if you guys/gals have any experience installing these systems - what features do you recommend as a must have and any brands you would recommend.

It seems like there are so many different systems available it is hard to tell the difference between good and bad.....
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-18-2014, 12:04 PM Reply   
Just to confuse matters - I would also like to see if you guys have any experience with Wink or other comparable Connected Home Hubs that can take care of security, thermostat, wifi locks, etc.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-18-2014, 1:15 PM Reply   
I use the Honeywell system with total connect 2 APP for my boats and managed properties. Real time video and full access to anything that is networked into it.
the App is TC2
So far im pleased. I have tested it a couple times and my phone rings within seconds. Video could be better but its good enough to ID somebody on the boat or in the house. I have instant GPS tracking software as well one the big boat but those details are a bit guarded.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-18-2014, 2:20 PM Reply   
I went with simplisafe. Wireless. Built in cell. Trivial to install. Purchased 2 motion sensors, 3 entry sensors, 2 alarms, keypad and base for roughly $400. Pay $15/mo for monitoring. Can cancel any time. Has been working great for 2 years. Just refreshing batteries every year. Can check status of alarm through smart phone. Love not being attached to ADT and such.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-18-2014, 2:31 PM Reply   
Jason: I have the vicesonic PowerMax plus. It's a wireless system. All the doors and motion triggers are wireless and report back to the main unit so installation is a breeze. You can enroll new devices like smoke detectors or water detection wirelessly. They also have a tone of accessories like wireless sirens. The basic system is under $200 and installs in about 45 to an hour.
I found a place that does monitoring for around nine dollars a month they are called (alarm relay)
800-762-9964. I thought my Equipment from www. Homesecuritystore.com their customer service is great and they will help you or walk through the installation of your system.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       11-18-2014, 3:13 PM Reply   
Have used many variations of several. The next thing I'd setup from scratch would probably be all IP based devices (i.e. no "hub").

The reason for this is the ability to choose and switch in/out devices that I actually want. Also like not being forced to use system compatible sensors/devices or being forced upgrade everything when changing systems. The only devices that I have been using for a decade+ are those that are IP or similarly stand alone. All the integrated stuff slowly drops off the wagon, just due to the hassle of keeping it up to date and integrated.

However, IP isn't really available for traditional security devices at this point, so for that pick a system and try it .

Don't get me wrong, all integrated stuff is neat, but in every case costs a ton of time to keep it up to date with your daily life changes.

FWIW, In practical use, I thermostats mostly and external camera's occasionally (eg. to view the water frozen, boat on lift after storms, etc).

That being said, if $ caution to the wind go ahead with any packaged system and have it installed or DYI the whole system install.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-18-2014, 3:50 PM Reply   
BTW, we save 10% on our home insurance having a monitored house too so that cuts the $15 to an effective $8/mo.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-18-2014, 7:32 PM Reply   
Don't have a pick of mine but you get the idea. LOL

I know you probably have a few of them but I couldn't resist.
Attached Images

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-18-2014, 8:54 PM Reply   
BTW, when you are not home, which is often in a vacation home, crooks love to steal your guns.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-19-2014, 9:55 AM Reply   
Thank you for the input gents. I have been looking at the simplisafe and powermax - I am concerned about the cellular service at my house for the wireless option. I have a land line to get around that issue. I have camera's today that have motion sensing capability and video record but when it alerts me I am not sure what I am going to do - call the local police station?

I am also worried about the "hub" strategy. There are so many different platforms and standards it is hard to justify an investment.

I would like to self-install a system (like simplisafe/powermax) and get a monitoring company to watch it. It seems like these DIY type packages have general fitting sensors that are somewhat unreliable.

Unfortunately I can't use my guns when I am not there. I am looking forward to a tactical shotgun class I signed up for .

I guess I am really in need of sensors for doors and windows - maybe some motion sensors in the garage and main areas of the house and some kind of monitoring. Should be enough right?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-19-2014, 10:31 AM Reply   
I think somthing is better then Nothing. Start out with a system that you can just build from there as a DIY'r you not gonna see all your blind spots and places at first. After you install your system you might discover you forgot a window or could use a motion sensor here. A wireless system will allow you to enroll a new device in a few mins. I would start with a system that covers all your doors and windows. Window and door triggers are instant on. So there is no delay if a door is opened ect. If you try and use a motion sensor to cover large aeras they are slow to trigger. Example if you have a motion sensor to cover your entire garage they tend to not trigger untill your 1/2 way deep into a garage. So if you had a bike in the garage someone could swoop in and swipe your bike and be gone b4 the motion even triggers. Also your gonna want the pannel upstairs and that has a Siren. So if someone comes thew your house upstairs they are gonna deffinatly here the siren located in the pannel. If you get a wireless system you can install a remote siren down stairs so if some one comes in down stairs they will be instantly blasted. IMO most people my try and come threw a window or door and as soon as a alarm go's off they are out of there and on to the next house.

The monitoring company will be calling your phone within 30 seconds of the alarm going off asking you if it's a false alarm or not.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-19-2014, 11:23 AM Reply   
I put door sensors on the main front/side doors and 2 motion sensors watching the great room from 2 angles. I also put a siren inside the great room and outside in the side yard. So, the house is covered well and hard to defeat. Never the less, the biggest protector is probably the sign in my front yard.

Simplisafe has been a good "value" solution for me. I am very happy. And, I will be glad to bring it to my next house when/if I move. Simplisafe uniquely has their keypad separate from their base station so I have the keypad near the front door and the base station hidden within the house. With this, a crook will have a hard time taking out the base station with a baseball bat.
Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-19-2014, 1:52 PM Reply   
I also have a Simplisafe system. Easy to install and change or upgrade items as your needs change. I have read comments in this thread and on other security forums about the siren and that it should be loud enough for the intruder to hear and also not be accessible for them to break. The beauty of the wireless system is the monitoring system is notified the instant the alarm is triggered or the delay is activated if they come through an entry door. If they do not enter the code the monitoring company already knows the system has been tripped, no code was entered in the required time and can call the police.

The siren just lets them know they have "x" amount of time to get what they can and get out before someone arrives. The outdoor sirens are about as useful as a car alarm these days in my opinion. How many times have you walked over and peeked around your neighbors house when their cat set the alarm off over and over for hours on end to see if it was actually someone trying to rip them off? Not me and while I would love to smoke any fool that robs me or my neighbor it's not legally in my best interest to confront them and make a mess of things. Most people just want the sound to stop and assume the police will send someone to take care of an intruder if there actually is one. Keep your guns in a locked safe or RSC and use one of the wireless sensors on it. Most newer systems have a way to designate a sensor to only show activity and not trip the alarm (assuming your safe is inside the house) so you know if someone is getting in there without your knowledge.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-19-2014, 2:10 PM Reply   
That's a good point about the Key pad being remotely mounted away from the Control unit. My Powermax has remote control (works and looks like a car alarm remote) that I use to turn the Alarm on or off. So you could mount the unit in a closet or remote/ hidden location. I rarely use the key pad.

Also if you have 2 homes and you install a powermax in both homes you can enroll 1 remote to work both houses.
Old     (MylesK)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-19-2014, 2:19 PM Reply   
Anyone ever setup an Elk system? I purchased one a while back but haven't gotten around to rigging it up yet...
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-19-2014, 2:20 PM Reply   
That is a cool idea on the gun safe.....I appreciate all the insights.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-19-2014, 3:21 PM Reply   
I have a cleaning person that comes to the house once per month. I gave her a different entry code. With this the event log shows me when she enters/exits vs when we enter/exit. I can also tell how long she is cleaning for the $80 that I pay her. A good thing to know. I am sure most systems will do this. It's a nice feature to have.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-20-2014, 9:52 AM Reply   
I dove in and bought the Simplisafe System. I appreciate your insights - I will follow up with how the install went if anyone cares. Should get it done in the next couple weeks.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-20-2014, 12:02 PM Reply   
With my simplisafe install, I bought some longer thin screws (home depot $3) than provided to mount everything with screws vs tape.

I gave simplisafe feedback about it too so maybe the screws they provide are longer now.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-20-2014, 1:23 PM Reply   
Thanks for letting me know. I saw some other reviews where people did something similar. I plan on screwing them in.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-20-2014, 3:41 PM Reply   
I also built a couple of mounts from blocks of wood hacked off a 4x4" so I could mount my motion detectors high with a downward view. I cut them, painted them, screwed them into the wall and screwed the detector into the mount. This has worked nicely. With the placement of your motion detectors be sure they are not in the path of moving reflections from the outside sun. The heat of the sun plus the movement of a plant in the wind can trigger the motion detector.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-21-2014, 12:53 PM Reply   
That is great advice. Thanks