Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-17-2013, 7:33 PM Reply   
Hey I'm in need of some new trailer tires. Nothing fancy I'm running the stock cheepo chrome wheels and tires. This is the size 215/75D/14. What are you guys paying for a set .
Thanks,
Old     (xmarksthespot)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-17-2013, 10:09 PM Reply   
G,

Do not buy the carslile trailer tires, went though hell thinking my trailer axles were bent, then i saw the same tires on two other boats at liquid trends and they were doing the same cupping. Threw some goodyears on em and they seem to be legit. Let me know if you cant get a deal.
Old     (03suprassv)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-18-2013, 4:17 AM Reply   
The Goodyear marathons that came on my trailer were junk. I replaced them with maxxis. I also had the maxxis put on my utility trailer also. Most fishing boats here in Florida run the load stars. Just purchased 5 215/75/14 for my dads center console and shipped price was 388. Check out recstuff dot com. Best prices I found snd also google to find a 5-10% off code.
Old     (03suprassv)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-18-2013, 4:18 AM Reply   
As previous poster stated, stay away from carlisles.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       07-18-2013, 4:50 AM Reply   
I went from Goodyear (factory) to Maxxis and LOVE them! I moved up to a load E tire on the Maxxis because I think the load D tires on a single axle just didn't quite cut the mustard. So far I'm running 2 seasons on the Maxxis with no problems.

I have heard 50/50 about the Carlisle tires. My tire guy (whom I really trust and carries all makes) steered me towards Maxxis away from the Carlisle and Goodyear.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       07-18-2013, 6:27 AM Reply   
I've used all three over the years... All 6 ply.. And about the same... The key is monitor tire pressure.. This is the numbner cause of tire failure.. low pressure equals heat build up and tire shred..
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-18-2013, 6:33 AM Reply   
I've done extensive research on this as I need trailer tires as well. The guys on the malibucrew forums have had nothing but good things to say about Kumho 857's. They are the only D rated tire you can get in a 14" wheel size as far as I know. Here's a quick link to the first thing that popped up for your size in google. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....4857&tab=Sizes
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-18-2013, 12:34 PM Reply   
i just got 2 hercules tires (14" rim size) put onto my trailer a couple weeks ago. they were installed and recommended by the goodyear tire store which sells many and has not had a single issue to date they say. knock on wood.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-19-2013, 7:23 PM Reply   
Kumho? Never tried it but I have had failures on all the other makes listed. I am convinced that age and time in the sun is the issue. Interesting that I never have auto tire failures and I run them to the cords.
Old     (robertstone9)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-19-2013, 9:57 PM Reply   
i run cheap as$ passenger car tires and have NEVER had a issue even doing a 500 mile trip this summer severely over loaded and have been doing so for the last 20 years on all of my trailers just replace about every 3-4 years
Old     (robertstone9)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-19-2013, 9:58 PM Reply   
dry-rot is the number 1 killer of trailer tires
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-21-2013, 11:22 PM Reply   
Greenball or trailmasters. Greenball markets them with several different sidewalls. Goodyear marathons can be good and can be bad. I had lots of issues with my marathons that came on the trailer. My previous boat had trailmaster tires and they lasted much longer than the marathons. My 2000 ski boat trailer has trailmasters, the 2005 wakeboard boat has had greenball tires since 2009.

$400 out the door mounted with tax is about right.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-22-2013, 5:49 PM Reply   
Maxxis or Hercules both make great trailer tires. I have used both between work trailer, boat and 5th wheel. Greenball makes Trailmaser and Transmaster trailer tires would not recommend them as i have had 2 of their tires come apart on the freeway one on the boat trailer at five years old tread and cords separated and tore the fender of my trailer. Second one on my work trailer less than a year old and blistered, popped and started coming apart. Greenball did warranty the second as a manufacture defect but I won’t be installing any more Greenball tires.
Old     (NotSure123)      Join Date: Nov 2012       07-23-2013, 1:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03suprassv View Post
The Goodyear marathons that came on my trailer were junk. I replaced them with maxxis. I also had the maxxis put on my utility trailer also. Most fishing boats here in Florida run the load stars. Just purchased 5 215/75/14 for my dads center console and shipped price was 388. Check out recstuff dot com. Best prices I found snd also google to find a 5-10% off code.
Curious...what issues did you have with the Goodyears? My trailer had 2 brand new ones on it when I bought it (2 years ago) which still look great, so I JUST bought two more to replace the other two.
Old     (LTRGUY261)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-23-2013, 7:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03suprassv View Post
I didn't see any D rated tires in a 14 on that site. Are you running load range C tires?
Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-23-2013, 12:17 PM Reply   
I have 4 235/60/14 brand new and 3 with about 5000 miles.make me an offer.I'm in Redwood city.
Old     (bingbing)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-24-2013, 6:22 PM Reply   
I'm in the market for new tires. There has been very little discussion about Carlisle tires (205/75R/14). I have had great luck with them. 3 sets in ten years. The last set lasted over 4 years. I put 4000 to 5000 miles per year. Not sure if that is a lot or not. After reading this thread I priced the Maxxis and the best price was $544.96 vs $440.00 (American Tires) for Carlisle out the door. The other issue was no one stocks the Maxxis in Central Cal, two weeks out.

Since I have not had any issues with Carlisle I'm going stick with them.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-25-2013, 7:17 AM Reply   
Hey Ryan can you email me grantwest@gmail.com if your in the good I would lover to come check them out.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-26-2013, 8:49 PM Reply   
We ran Carlisle Radial Trails for 7 years before replacing this year with a newer model Radial Trail, zero problems. I think all the horror stories you hear on Carlisles are the bias ply's, not the radials.