Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-05-2011, 3:25 PM Reply   
I decided to do some mod's to my drivers seat.

#1 I took the stock rails and extended them about 6-7 inches. It dosen't sound like alot but it's the diff between your legs with a pretty good bend in them and your legs with a slight bend.

#2 I decided to take the drivers seat and cut the side out of it. So I could turn or sit sidways in the drivers seat. I thought about adding a swivel to the seat but after seeing how they add height and they make the seat rock back and forth and I knew that would bug me after a while so I just decided to go ahead and chop up the seat.

Here are some before and after shots of the seat

SO you might be saying That's great. But you destroyed the shape of the seat and you made your seat look pretty ulgy. And I would say. I agree with you. But in this application I would have to say Function is going to have to Override Form. I hope it looks betting in the boat. Or it might be one of thoes things when its installed you don't even notice.
Attached Images

Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-05-2011, 5:04 PM Reply   
Looks good, Grant. Only thing is if you take a hard right, you may go flying if you don't hold on...
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-05-2011, 6:36 PM Reply   
That finish looks awesome! I really like the finished look, you made it look natural. Got any pictures of it re-installed?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-05-2011, 7:40 PM Reply   
I don't have any installed pics yett. Im working on the rails. I had a local company redo the skin. I ended up paying $540 to have it re-coverd. Nautique Skins wanted $450 for just the Skin and then I had to install the cover. But after I told them I had cut the seat and needed a custom cover they didn't want to do the work.
IMO the New skin looks factory all the seams are nice and straight and the lines are all in the stock location.

The Vinyl was $150 and the rest was for the labor.
Old     (Preston)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-06-2011, 8:34 AM Reply   
Nicely done!!!

Looks like the drivers seat in my '05 Sanger V215, very functional without having to have a swivel.

When you say you extended the rails, that's to allow you to slide your seat further back, right?
Old     (konaking)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-06-2011, 9:00 AM Reply   
Nice work
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-06-2011, 9:33 AM Reply   
Nothing wrong with that at all G, looks factory! I always hated the "hang the leg" technique too, what a pain it is.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       02-06-2011, 12:02 PM Reply   
That's amazing Grant! Please post up the installed pics!
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-07-2011, 11:34 AM Reply   
Great work as usual Grant!
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-08-2011, 9:10 AM Reply   
Damn i would love to have those skills!
Great job!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-08-2011, 9:17 AM Reply   
I didn't do the Vinyl. I just stripped the skin off and then cut the side of the seat. As far as my skill's on this project I just opend up my wallet and payed, LOL
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-08-2011, 9:43 AM Reply   
looks aweful...hopefully it works out good though...
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-08-2011, 2:16 PM Reply   
This started years ago . All you had to do was put the EQ on the right side of the steering wheel like everybody else and this would not have had to happen..........ha .
Well done!!!
Did you install the motorization yet?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-11-2011, 7:28 PM Reply   
So its been like 6 Months since I installed the new seat. I wanted to report back and let you know the Mod has worked out great. The extra room the cut in the seat gave me is great. I made the seat rails go back about 6 inches longer as well. Now the Seat go's all the way back and almost touches the motor box. B4 there was a 6-8 inch space between the back of the drivers seat and the motor box.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-11-2011, 7:29 PM Reply   
pic's
Attached Images

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-11-2011, 7:36 PM Reply   
How does a 10yr old boat look so mint?
Old     (matt75)      Join Date: Nov 2010       09-11-2011, 8:55 PM Reply   
I agree. That ride is brand new looking! Love the subs too. I'd love to do this for my Axis seat. Bolster is too low and would like to open up the sides of the seat.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-11-2011, 9:43 PM Reply   
G, looks great outside the boat to me, but in the boat it looks factory. I also like your custom seat slide knob thing. nice touch.

Scary thing to do to a perfectly good seat but I bet the only people who notice it without you pointing it out are other nautique owners