Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-25-2010, 12:21 PM Reply   
Ok, first its not actually at 22v. Its a 1996 PRE 2200WT. Retarded name. So to me its a 22v.

Drove from Utah to Los Angeles to pick this up from a car dealer. It has been bought at auction after being repossesed from a guy in Northern Cal. Was told upholstery was good, only needed a couple of pieces done. When I picked it up I learned that this boat has has a very fun and hard life. In the boat I found beer cans, about 300 strings of beads, cigars, cigarrettes, condoms, prescription drugs and way too much trash. The upholstery was thrashed. The carpet had tears, one wheel was falling off due to bad bearings that destroyed the hub. Badly in need of a wax. Trailer needs to be repainted. Trailer coupler is no good. The center of the floor was slightly warped, back deck was warped. Stereo speakers all appear to be blown. Wow, I got what appeared to be a good deal. (Yes I had a relative check it out before giving a deposit or driving down to pick it up, but he doesn't know boats.)

I do project boats, but hopefully I'll get one that isn't this big of a project.

So here's the pictures of the ad.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-25-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
Pics from the seller:
Oh, and the board racks were plastic!
Attached Images

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-25-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
So I picked it up over thanksgiving and started to clean it up but then had to put it away for the winter.
Attached Images

Last edited by robandrus; 03-25-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-25-2010, 12:33 PM Reply   
gel coat looks A-1 compared to what it was!....how's the interior coming?
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-25-2010, 1:01 PM Reply   
So, in the mean time I bought a house that has a garage. Getting it back from Socal was a huge pain. One of the wheels almost fell off on the freeway and I spent two days driving around Temecula/Murrietta trying to find the right parts. Finally found a trailer place in Hemet.

Once I unwrapped it I made my priority list. Replace the tower, replace the board racks, Bought some KMT6's. Pulled the upholstery, pulled the steering cable and ordered the parts. Heres some pics.

Still waiting for upholstery
Attached Images

Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-25-2010, 1:05 PM Reply   
New tower looks great. I have the stainless version on my boat - love it.

Been looking forward to this thread popping back up.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-25-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
Looks great! Can't wait to see the progress
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-25-2010, 2:19 PM Reply   
Looking good. You are becoming an old hand at these projects. How did the SAN turn out? I never saw the final results.

The old 22V's have great boarding wakes (no spray pockets!), and PHENOMENAL surf wakes.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-25-2010, 2:22 PM Reply   
Rob i see your replacing the carpet as well. I had an old Tigé that i redid too a few years back with the wood floor. While the wood was good the resin had worn down and cracked. Took me about 45 minutes to re-apply resin to the wood and re-seal it up. So if you haven't already decided to do so i definately would.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-25-2010, 3:15 PM Reply   
Yah, I was planning on fiberglassing over the hole from the ski pylon anyway. The whole center board sags a little so I could build it up, but that seems like it would be difficult to get the fiberglass even. Once I put resin on the fiberglass cloth it always gets sticky etc. is the key to staple it down?
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-25-2010, 3:21 PM Reply   
San was a very nice ride by the time I was done with it. Didn't get as much out of it as I hoped because of the economy. I never did get to ride behind it enough to fall in love with the wake. Maybe I had the weight in the wrong spots.

So one cool thing, I work on a construction site and I have access to some really heavy steel plates that I plan to hide in the boat. I figure 1000lbs ought to do it, plus I'm planning the ballast system, I decided I'm a big fan of the aerator pumps rather than reversible. They don't sieze up on you, are quiet and don't use a ton of juice. This will be my first system with a pump system for each side to help with surfing. I figure an attwood 800 to fill and a 500 to empty on each side should do it. Total of $100 for 4 pumps from walmart. Still need to buy the pumps, hoses valves and pipe.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       03-25-2010, 3:29 PM Reply   
You do your own gel work where the old tower feet were? The boat is looking good. I always love your project threads. Nice job bro.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-25-2010, 3:43 PM Reply   
So, I hate the two colored lines under the thick blue. Any ideas to cover that? The lines are dirty but look like they're pink and teal or some crap. How about a nice line of paint, or some thick pinstripping etc?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       03-25-2010, 4:12 PM Reply   
Way to go Rob, can't wait to see this one re born...
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-25-2010, 8:25 PM Reply   
I have the same boat, different year. And yes, the teal/ pink accents are horrible. I covered mine with black vinyl to match the gel coat, cost me about $20. cant even tell from 10 feet away until I point it out.

This boat likes weight, and it likes it up front. I now have about 3000#'s and I am loving the wake. I have about 1600#'s in the bow (400 lead and 3 straightline 440 bags) and 1400 lead in the rear lockers and midship under the floor.

The problem with this boat is the gas tank is in the rear like it was meant to be a direct drive, so plumbing big fat sacks in the rear lockers is not really possible. You would have to put long skinny sacks in the rear lockers that could fit under the seats, which means you will have to cut out the dividing wall on the port side, and then remove the cooler on the starboard side.

anyhow, it is a fun wake, and even with all the weight it handles and turns very well. On tight turns it goes wherever you want it to and has never chine locked on me. I have the acme 515 prop and It does well with all that weight. it can handle a full tank of gas, 4 people and ballast full and still plane nicely. The TAPS works great to shape the wake, it does NOT enhance the wake like Tige claimed for so many years. I put it down to plane, then set it halfway up and it gives me a nice wake with a little lip on it. If i want it steeper I can up the taps up all the way to 8.

Cant wait to see the final product.
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-26-2010, 6:10 AM Reply   
I love these kinds of threads.
Old     (konaking)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-26-2010, 7:41 AM Reply   
X2
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-26-2010, 6:36 PM Reply   
Hey Johnny, What kind of vinyl did you use and where did you get it? I think a black stripe would look good. When I paint the trailer black it will really tie it together.
Old     (mastercraft_98)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-26-2010, 6:41 PM Reply   
Hey rob if you still have those racks you took off I would be intersted in them
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-27-2010, 2:59 PM Reply   
rob. I dont remember where I got it, I will do some research to see if I can track it down. I do remember that I purchased a 10 foot roll that was 24" wide. This was the cheapest way to go. I used a razor blade to cut the roll into 6 - 4" x 10' strips. I ended up using 5 strips to wrap the whole boat. I think you could order a 50 foot roll that is the width you need, but it was a lot more money.

Give me a day or two and I should be able to point you into the right direction. Otherwise, you should be able to find a ton of places on the internet that have vinyl rolls.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-27-2010, 3:24 PM Reply   
real quick internet search, I found multiple places that sell 12" or 24" wide sheets, long enough to wrap your boat, for about $30-40. I looked on ebay and found a 3" x 108 foot long roll in matte black. This would probably be perfect if it was a gloss black. I went him a PM to see if he has gloss for you. Anyhow. Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9#ht_734wt_941

Last edited by johnny_defacto; 03-27-2010 at 3:25 PM. Reason: to add a link to ebay
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-27-2010, 3:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandrus View Post
Hey Johnny, What kind of vinyl did you use and where did you get it? I think a black stripe would look good. When I paint the trailer black it will really tie it together.
Try hhsignsupply.com They have everything.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-27-2010, 5:28 PM Reply   
Thanks Johnny, I just ordered a roll. Oh wait, yah it should be gloss black. I'll contact the guy.
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-28-2010, 6:11 AM Reply   
any progress pics?
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-28-2010, 5:33 PM Reply   
Rob, here is a picture taken from 10 feet away, as well as the "before" picture" also taken from about 10 feet away. You can see how the bottom edge is not perfect, that it waves a little bit, that is because i stripped a 24" wide roll into 4" pieces and apparently my hand was a bit shaky. Thats why if you can get a roll that is 3 or 4" wide, you will have a real clean edge.

Not as good as paint, but I think it looks a ton better.
Attached Images

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-29-2010, 7:41 AM Reply   
Johnny, I like it!
They just emailed me back and they don't have gloss. Also I measured and I need about 3.5" or a 4" would be better. Sorry guys not many progress pics to report. I just mounted the board racks and I've been at work. Unfortunately I got laid off on Friday which means more time for the boat! Upholstery is due back today or tomorrow, along with carpet, that means I need to get going on the fiberglass. I hate working with that stuff and I don't have any gloves handy. Even when I buy the nitrile gloves my hands are too big and they don't fit. What do you guys use for fiberglassing?
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-30-2010, 8:22 AM Reply   
Just picked up the upholstery,

Unfortunately, I need a betl sander so I can level out the floor a little before putting the carpet in. Here are some pics. I cut out two small blocks to aid the in installation of the ballast system. I patched the hole over the ski pylon, and I think I just decided to patch the hole over the bilge pump so that I don't have a big opening in the floor. I found a new upholstery guy since last time. Its penny seat covers in Orem Utah. For everything in the pictures + 6 yds of carpet it was $1,100. The work looks really good too. Installed the new steering cable. What a pain in the but. You should have seen me laying down on the engine with both my arms and head stuffed down the little space behind the engine trying to tighten the nuts. Oh, and one pic of the tow vehicle.
Attached Images

Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-30-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
Wow that was a smoking deal on vinyl.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-31-2010, 3:38 PM Reply   
Ok, Changing the plans a little. Just talked with the tape guy. Going with a full wrap on the bottom half. It will be a matte black, like some are putting on bmw's etc. Should look sweet. Ordered a 20" and a 9". Floor is patched. Ready to put in carpet. Need a couple of thru hulls for the ballast still.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-19-2010, 7:13 AM Reply   
Pics coming today. Been working like mad. Carpet installed, upholstery installed, got her in the water yesterday for a ride. Had a hole in one of the fiberglass mufflers and needs some plugs and an impeller.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-19-2010, 7:58 AM Reply   
New Carpet Install, New upholstery Install. The matt black wrap should be here in a couple of days. Included some pictures of the new house.
Attached Images

Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-19-2010, 8:22 AM Reply   
Glad to see it all come together! What a beautiful view you have too!
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-19-2010, 9:39 AM Reply   
amazing job man... give us a total cost
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-19-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
Looks great!
Old     (ltwake)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-20-2010, 1:33 AM Reply   
looks very nice!
Old     (konaking)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-20-2010, 5:52 AM Reply   
Nothing like being that close to the lake. Vinyl looks great. I am in the process of having some of min done right now.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-20-2010, 6:45 AM Reply   
Boat looks GREAT man. Congrats. Nice place you have too..

Homeboy does NOT look happy in that one pic!
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-20-2010, 7:52 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. Can't give a total cost as the changes aren't done yet. Can't wait until the wrap gets here. Supposed to arrive tomorrow. Also I bought new plugs yesterday, also needs a fuel oil separator, fuel filter, impeller and I need a fiberglass muffler as mine appears to be broken and was spewing fumes and water into the hull. Hope I don't have to pull the engine to get it out.
Old    ScottRobinson            04-20-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
Where did you get your wrap from? or getting it from I should say.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       04-20-2010, 12:36 PM Reply   
Rob ~~ Congrats on the project coming together! Keep the pics coming...

Name:  3babbf079079213d7f7c1be30ee3d682.image.81x80.jpg
Views: 2485
Size:  1.8 KB
www.wakeology.com
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-20-2010, 12:43 PM Reply   
SKull Shifter!
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-21-2010, 8:10 AM Reply   
Buying the wrap from the tape depot. I bought two stips, they come in 108' lengths. One is 20" the other is 9". Paid $75 after shipping.

Nick. You like the skull huh? I've put one in my last 5 boats. My kids love it. If Autozone ever stops selling them I'm screwed. They only cost $12, but I think they're fun. Also, don't know if anyone noticed but I added a cup holder at the very back of the boat. I figure its a great place to store the soap/binding lube.

As for making it run right, I'm looking at the fiberglass muffler and it looks like its gonna be a biotch to get out, hopefully I won't need a cherry picker to lift the engine to yank the thing. Anyone done this? Boat also probably has some bad gas, need a fuel filter and water fuel separator. I'm dropping in the new plugs today.

Lastly, progress on the boat would be much faster but the skid steer in the pics has been broken but it took most of my time. Finally back together now so the landscaping can continue.