Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-07-2008, 5:52 AM Reply   
Any of ya'll had an issue with copyrighted song on YouTube? I uploaded a surf vid this summer and got an email yesterday saying the song was copyrighted and the artist (Jimmy Buffet) had requested it be deleted..
I found that kinda odd.. Would think a youtube vid not having any commercial value would be an issue... I know I have seen tons of youtube vids with copyrighted songs in them..
weird..
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-07-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
It does have commercial value on YouTube because people come to their website because of the videos. It may not be of any value to you (unless you included some kind of sponsor or hyperlink), but it definitely helps YouTube. I'm more curious as to whether or not Jimmy Buffet himself is browsing YouTube and looking for copyright violators! :-)
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-07-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
No kidding Dave! It would be cool to know Jimmy personally viewed a video of mine and asked that I remove his song. Huge JB fan, so I would change it out of respect with no complaints.

But we all know that this probably is not the case. Most likely a record company bot that ID's unlicensed content.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-07-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
I think Nate is correct on the Bot thing.. I am guessing that when you load a video and it is compressed they have software that sort of sequences it like the Verizon software that allows you to play a song to your phone and connect to their vcast system and it will recognize the song and tell you what it is.
I got a warning back in the summer that was similar that came the next am after uploading video that cited that the song was copyrighted but was ok to use as long as it was not commercial.
I also tried to upload a video to photobucket.com with music in it and it would not upload due to copyrighted music..
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       12-07-2008, 2:18 PM Reply   
same thing happened to me with a sublime song :-(
Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       12-07-2008, 3:48 PM Reply   
same to me on margaritaville by JIMMY BUFFET.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-08-2008, 1:48 PM Reply   
I got the same issue from both youtube and facebook. I didnt think it was a problem since Im not making money off them. I even give song credits. Kinda sucks.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-09-2008, 9:51 PM Reply   
Technically, once you upload the videos to facebook, it becomes that site's property, and to prevent themselves from being sued, they have to take down the video. I've had that issue from facebook, but never from youtube.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-10-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
I had my summer 2008 wakeboard video removed from YouTube and Facebook. The song was summertime by sublime and I was kinda disappointed because I put so much time into it and then it gets deleted but whatever.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-12-2008, 1:02 PM Reply   
what if you leave some background noise in behind the music? would that make it so the bots cant find it? like how skateboard videos always leave in the natural sound underneath the music.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-15-2008, 4:05 PM Reply   
I don't think so. I tried changing the pitch of it slightly so that maybe it wouldn't be directly linked to the actual song but it got removed right after upload.
Old     (mikevlx)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-01-2009, 5:56 PM Reply   
i had mine copyrighted too, nut they didnt ask me to remove mine, they just advertised a tiny bit next to my acuall vidd. i didnt really mind, hey, they must have at least watched it..
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-02-2009, 11:51 AM Reply   
same thing happened to me