Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-29-2014, 8:20 PM Reply   
Hey guys. So currently I have 2 w6s powered by an arc ks1200. I have 3 pairs of rev10s and 3 pairs of xs650s. Point is I want more bass. I've been contemplating getting some 13w7s but have also just thought about getting another w6 and a bigger amp. What do you guys think. The w7s are real real pricey and I have heard they are better suited for cars then boats. Am I wasting my time getting another w6? I've never heard a w7 in person just have heard what people have said about them. Opinions?
Old     (01centurion)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-30-2014, 5:46 AM Reply   
Do u have a custom box made for your subs or just reg box's u can buy for a 12? Also where do u have the subs?
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       05-30-2014, 6:32 AM Reply   
I can't compare the two but I have one 12w7 in my boat and I love it, this is it's4th summer and still going strong. I get asked all the time where the rest of my subs are.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       05-30-2014, 9:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp513 View Post
Hey guys. So currently I have 2 w6s powered by an arc ks1200. I have 3 pairs of rev10s and 3 pairs of xs650s. Point is I want more bass. I've been contemplating getting some 13w7s but have also just thought about getting another w6 and a bigger amp. What do you guys think. The w7s are real real pricey and I have heard they are better suited for cars then boats. Am I wasting my time getting another w6? I've never heard a w7 in person just have heard what people have said about them. Opinions?
IMO, the JL Audio W7 is the ultimate reference SQ subwoofer. And if correctly powered it is a jackhammer too. Car versus boat applications??? Okay, here's the difference. The W7 provides more in the way of controlled excursion which if you have the additional power can provide more output. However, no woofer from any brand can give you more controlled excursion without some small reduction in internal efficiency at lower power levels. In the enclosed cabin of a car, it doesn't really matter. More excursion quickly translates to more output and deeper bass. But in an open field boat it is simply easier to obtain more output via more surface area versus excursion. So it boils down to this. If you are satisfied that you have reached a reasonable conclusion with maximum cone surface area and you have the extra power with all the current delivery support (batteries, chargers, etc.) then the next logical step is increasing excursion with the W7. It's just not the first step.
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-30-2014, 10:32 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input. I'm gonna go ahead and get them. As far as a box goes do you recommend sealed or ported? They will be in separate boxes. One in the storage locker and under the dash.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       05-30-2014, 11:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Thanks for the input. I'm gonna go ahead and get them. As far as a box goes do you recommend sealed or ported? They will be in separate boxes. One in the storage locker and under the dash.
If you have the space then the larger ported enclosure, and ported is much larger, will generate more output and better bass extension.
If sound quality is high on your priority list then I really don't like separate and asymmetrical subwoofer locations with different loading functions, like one that is direct-radiating and the other that is concealed within and vented from a compartment. But for more rattle and rumble it's fine.
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-30-2014, 5:42 PM Reply   
Hey David. Could you recommend a ported enclosure. I've found quite a few that are "built to jl specs" but not sure if there's a brand you recommend
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       05-31-2014, 9:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Hey David. Could you recommend a ported enclosure. I've found quite a few that are "built to jl specs" but not sure if there's a brand you recommend
For the back of a hatchback? Maybe. For a boat? No way to an off-the-shelf solution. I want different construction materials, different construction techniques, a shape that fits the boat precisely, and a half dozen other important considerations that I can only get from a custom made enclosure.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-31-2014, 8:41 PM Reply   
I like David's answers!
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       06-07-2014, 10:09 PM Reply   
Well i got some custom boxes being made right now should be done wednesday. If anyone is in the market for arc amps or some w6s hmu! gotta get rid of them.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-08-2014, 6:22 AM Reply   
Your w6 v2 or v3
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       06-08-2014, 8:07 AM Reply   
V3s they are way better then v2s. I've got those in my truck
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-08-2014, 9:07 AM Reply   
Whats the difference between the v2 and v3?
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       06-08-2014, 10:39 AM Reply   
It's a beefier sub then the v2. Idk exact specifics. Maybe David can chime in
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       06-08-2014, 11:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffymahoney View Post
Whats the difference between the v2 and v3?
Not many audio companies, perhaps only a handful, understand woofer technology the way JL Audio does nor have the design and testing abilities of JL Audio.
The W6 v2 and v3 are essentially the same amount of beef.
There is no added benefit without some alternate trade-off in woofer design.
The version 3 provides a little more performance in a little smaller enclosure at the cost of average efficiency. So they just tweaked their priorities a bit. Nothing gets low like a W6v3 in a compact box.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-08-2014, 5:06 PM Reply   
Yep I have a 12 W6V3 in a sealed box powered by an Arc Ks 1000.1 and it pounds. Cant say enough good things about the JL sub the sound is so clean
Attached Images

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-08-2014, 6:33 PM Reply   
I wonder if my 12w3 box would handle a w6
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-08-2014, 7:17 PM Reply   
depends on if your box is sealed or ported if it is a sealed box I would say yes. the W6 actually needs a smaller box than the W3 so you would need to add some filler to the box but not much
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       06-08-2014, 9:06 PM Reply   
JL recommends sealed boxes on 12w6v3 i think because they built it more for sound quality not absolute slumpin. I went ported because it was in a boat application. They are really loud. Louder then the v2s in sealed boxes I had last year. I like teeth rattling bass so thats why I decided w7s instead. I had these w6s in my boat a month. They are basically new.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       06-09-2014, 7:48 AM Reply   
The JL Audio W3, W6, and W7 all have a similar speaker 'Q' so they all work in both a sealed and bass-reflex enclosure without a lot of bias.
Of the three, the W7 favors a sealed enclosure but just slightly, although that's not the curve I would select in an open boat. For the most linear response I would select sealed for the W7 in most enclosed vehicles because I need to splice the woofer/enclosure response with the response of the cabin. Not the case in a boat where you need all the acoustic leverage you can get.
The new W6v3 requires an unusually long port in a bass-reflex system. That's a minor obstacle when you are still netting a slightly smaller enclosure.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-09-2014, 8:54 AM Reply   
Any clue if this would work for the v6?
Attached Images

Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       06-10-2014, 6:08 AM Reply   
That box looks a lot better then the ones that I've got!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-10-2014, 8:12 AM Reply   
My buddy custom made it. It's pretty nice. Hits hard with the 12w3. I wonder how much harder with the w6??!
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       06-10-2014, 8:51 AM Reply   
If the box was designed for the W3 then you could get by with using the old W6 but you really need a new enclosure for the new W6.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-10-2014, 10:10 AM Reply   
Whats the model number of the old w6?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-10-2014, 10:11 AM Reply   
What would I gain by switching?
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       06-10-2014, 10:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffymahoney View Post
What would I gain by switching?
Assuming you mean from a W3 to a W6, the largest difference is added excursion.
The easiest way to develop more bass is with more cone surface area and more enclosure displacement. After that, added excursion is a distant second. To double the excursion it will take at least double the amplifier power. So with 500 watts there isn't enough gain to be considered an upgrade. But with 750 to 1000 watts it makes a big difference.
A balanced system is key. A W3 with an honest 500 watt amplifier at 12.5 volts is a tough value to beat. You can get more but never as cost-effectively or efficiently.
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       06-10-2014, 10:47 AM Reply   
Old w6s are v2s. New are v3s