Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-27-2010, 6:08 PM Reply   
Out with that sh*tty kicker system and in with.

WS650's all around including 8 in the transom.
Blue/red leds all around
1 12in Image Dynamics IDQ at the drivers hip
1 15in Image Dynamics IDQ at the drivers feet
ws420 w/ mic
Red leds in the transom
Red leds under swim step
Alpine head unite w/ wireless remotes in dash and transom.
2 new big trim tabs on either side.
Trim tab lights, which happen to be bright as hell
Still waiting on a custom Epic logo to cover the false wall under the dash.

Sorry for the poorly focused photo.

Also some pics of the 22 slowly coming back to life.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-27-2010, 6:30 PM Reply   
Please read this whole post!!!!

I thought and still think those boats are ugly. but I grew up around three event boats which look and preform totally diferent.

Looking at the epic it was very specificly designed to be a high end wakeboard and surf boat. It looks to me like a lot of thought went into this boat and a ton of r and d. two rudders, three wake plates ballast speakers at the back of the boat, the list goes on, anyhow ugly duckling or not this is actually the boat I would purchase If,#1 I had the money which this boat seems very reasonably priced and#2 if I were more into the wake sports than I am.

Its really growing on me. I wish they would work on the front end a bit, soften it up.
Old     (wakeandmx)      Join Date: Apr 2009       01-27-2010, 6:39 PM Reply   
They are growing on me too, Twitch thats bitchin, congrats.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-27-2010, 6:43 PM Reply   
He added two of the wake plates, it only comes with one.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-27-2010, 7:25 PM Reply   
twitch how does the transom stereo not get soaked. Looks Sick
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-27-2010, 8:22 PM Reply   
thanks guys, I used to not be a fan either, but I absolutely LOVE this boat. Its gonna stay for a while.

The transom gets soaked which is the reason we didn't put 4 pro 80's back there. The horn loaded speakers cant get wet. But these ones are fine. We made sure with Tim White that they would be okay getting wet. I am soooooo stoked for spring time! It is such a tease going to see it haha
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-27-2010, 8:35 PM Reply   
'diculous swagg...nicely done...

Do the two trim tabs make a big difference in the boat list &/or shape/size of the wake?

Did those led's come integrated on the tabs, or did you attach them? What brand r those led's on the tabs? They r bright!

Are you still running the system with the 2 kicker 750.5's or did u add or replace?
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-27-2010, 8:38 PM Reply   
Those other two trim tabs should be standard on all Epics. Looks great Twitch!
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-27-2010, 8:39 PM Reply   
Wow thats freaking awsome! If I only had $20k to spend on a stereo....
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-27-2010, 9:12 PM Reply   
Nice work Shane and Colin. The Donzi Classic is a beatiful boat as well.

Colin, you going to get even more crazy and put any wetwounds on the tower?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-27-2010, 9:38 PM Reply   
Looks great Twitch, I need to get out and check that bad boy out one of these days. I bet the system knocks a little too but you missed listing the amps.

I vote yes on the bigger double up on the tower.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-27-2010, 10:36 PM Reply   
Hahaha thanks guys. I completely spaced taking pics of the amps, I dont know how I could forget about em.

ICE, we are test dummies for these tabs. I think epic tried them but never produced them. I remember hearing that they had the tabs sittng straight out the back. Tha tabs sat below the hull and when you punched it the bow would submarine hahaha. For the trim tab lights, they are aftermarket as well. I cant remember the name but it might be Bennett.

Thanks Brett, that boat is nutz. I've been in it once with him and we hit around 70 and ending up bending the shiat outta the hydraulic arms on the drive. So its been in the hospital for a while. The x-18 we have is still going its a blast here's a short vid of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgSXSchn2Y0

I dont think we are going to do anything on the tower. That was kinda the whole reason for doing a bunch in the rear. I like having head room and I like how it is different. The sound travels farther that close to the water. We blew up Wapato point on Lake Chelan last year even with the kicker system.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       01-28-2010, 8:12 AM Reply   
Wow Twitch, that is very well done, love your Epic!!
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-28-2010, 4:27 PM Reply   
WOW Twitch, that's sweet.

What are you going to do with all the stock stuff? I'm keeping my Epic stock, but it would be nice to have some back up.

Have you tried the new tabs yet? How is it? Were you able to tie them into the original pump system? I'd love to hear more about them.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-28-2010, 4:41 PM Reply   
" Kicer" system. I thought the speakers in that year transom were clarion or something else? I thought only the newer epics had the kicker?
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-28-2010, 8:09 PM Reply   
Ours is an 07. I think they started using kicker in 06. Not sure on that though.

Thanks Joe, We havent tried the tabs yet because they just got installed. And I'm not sure how we sill be adjusting them. Everything that will be done isn't done yet. I'll be posting as many update pics as I can for you guys.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-28-2010, 8:33 PM Reply   
Twitch, i have always been curious on the transom audio vs the tower speakers. Any difference?
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-28-2010, 10:27 PM Reply   
I think the transom audio is a really good idea. You dont have all this junk up on the tower and you've got tons of head room. With the audio in the real it makes it much quieter in the boat if you only want the rider to hear it. Whereas if you have tower speakers you can still hear them in the boat. the sound seems to travel pretty far too. Like I said, even with the kicker system which was 4 speakers and 2 subs in the back you could hear pretty far away.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-29-2010, 3:45 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the updates. I'd really love to hear more about the tabs, when you get a chance.

Have you done any kind of wind dam up front? It's on my list for this winter.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-29-2010, 5:36 AM Reply   
thanks for the info boat looks AMAZING
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-29-2010, 6:44 AM Reply   
Twitch,

So this boat originally had the 2 kickers subs, tweeters and 6.5's in the transom? I guess you guys replaced the actual panels to mount the speakers? Just wondering because I assumed all you did was replace the existing 6.5's. I thought the first few years of epics came with just 6.5's in the transom.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-29-2010, 6:15 PM Reply   
nice job!

Quick question: did you buy the WS grill covers black or did you paint them?
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-31-2010, 11:38 AM Reply   
The tabs we had custom made and then put on by our shop. We havent really thought of a wind dam where were you thinking of putting it? The original set up in the back is how J. Brenner put it. So we have everything stripped out and a new face plate on to mount the 4 in the middle. We also had to kinda fix the existing holes for the speakers because they were all outta wack! haha one was like 1/4 inch lower than the other. It gives the boat character though. along with one stringer is lower than the other so the engine sits cockeyed. For the speaker grills I'm not sure what they were originally but we had them painted sort of a pearl black with silver flake so they really stand out with sunlight and the LED's.
Old    k0walski            01-31-2010, 8:46 PM Reply   
Looks good.

IMO the grill covers look a lot better in black
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-01-2010, 2:45 PM Reply   
Yeah I agree too, way better than the gray that they come in.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-05-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
Hey Man, love what you did with the speakers in back. While I don't have the cash flow to modify the fiberglass in back I was thinking of sticking with the 8" woofers, but replacing the 4 kicker components on the transom with the wetsounds 650's. I see that the mounting depth on the wetsounds is deeper than the kickers. Did you have to modify inside the engine bay for them to fit or are they mounted to a new piece of fiberglass which adds some height? If so is there any way you could snap some pictures of the backside from inside the engine bay? I would appreciate it! Also, did you switch out the kicker amps to wetsounds as well? How much and where did you get the wetsounds speakers from? Shoot me a PM....for some reason I can't PM you as it says you are an invalid user.
nic
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-05-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
I wonder what that many 6.5" bullets hallow points would sound like? Great looking boat and build
Old     (hockeysk8er222)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-05-2010, 8:17 PM Reply   
If you had to blast one song to show off every audio element of that boat, what song would it be?
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-08-2010, 2:55 PM Reply   
Hockey- Thats a tough one, I dont think I could chose! they all sound good haha. What song would u do?

Duffy- I've heard good things about those bullets. I've never actually heard them though.

Finallyyy... I have some pics of Shanes good work, heres the amps.
Attached Images

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-08-2010, 3:31 PM Reply   
Bullets are crazy loud for 6.5''s They are HLCD so they project sound. Great build!
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-09-2010, 9:28 PM Reply   
Thanx man, Im super stoked to get it on the water. Definitely gonna catch some eyes.
Old     (LanceM)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-10-2014, 7:10 AM Reply   
Where did you get the mountable 5 LED modules you are using that replaced the stock ones?