Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-19-2011, 6:47 PM Reply   
I was getting the boat ready for the season today and manage to tear my vinyl, made me sick to my stomach. I’m going to get a price from the dealer to replace, but as this is the biggest piece on the boat, it’s not going to be cheap.

Anybody have any experience with having vinyl patched, like the liquid patch? How does it look, how does it hold up?
Old     (slappie75078)      Join Date: May 2010       02-19-2011, 8:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_young View Post
I was getting the boat ready for the season today and manage to tear my vinyl, made me sick to my stomach. I’m going to get a price from the dealer to replace, but as this is the biggest piece on the boat, it’s not going to be cheap.

Anybody have any experience with having vinyl patched, like the liquid patch? How does it look, how does it hold up?
Brian, I know that crappy feeling.

I had my vinyl back deck engine cover repaired 5 years ago and it is just now starting to discolor a bit. I think it was less than $100 to get done and still isn't noticeable except to me, even with the discoloring.

I say go for a repair if you can find a good guy. Ask some of the boat shops around town who the best one is.
Old     (konaking)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-20-2011, 11:46 AM Reply   
What boat are you running ? Depending on the year you may be able to get a new skin from the dealer. Prices fro mine were no to bad. I think I payed about $120 for one of the larger rear seat skins from Tige at the time. I think most manufactures only 4 or 5 years back though
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-20-2011, 8:35 PM Reply   
It's an '08 VLX. I am going to call the dealer this week to see what my options are. The piece I put a hole in is the rear back rest, it's by far the biggest piece in the boat. I'm expecting it to not be cheap.
Old     (konaking)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-21-2011, 6:19 AM Reply   
Sorry good luck. Maybe a repair will be the way go. Let us know what you do.
Old     (tailgate)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-21-2011, 7:47 AM Reply   
Brian, might try Patty @
Mend N Color Vinyl Services
(817) 577-1513

I used her to fix a cut in my vinyl and I cant even tell its there unless i really look for it. Took my boat to her one weekend and she did it while I waited...
Mine was a cut rather than a puncture though... I think there was a thread on DWB for her as well.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-21-2011, 3:29 PM Reply   
Have it repaired. That is not a big deal or big expense. Most detail shops can repair that for around $100. You will know it is there if you look close, but noone else would ever notice it once repaired. There will be mobile guys out there that will come to your house and do it probably too.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-21-2011, 5:23 PM Reply   
I've used a Dr. Vinyl franchise a couple times, great service (come to home or lake) only someone who knows where to look can find the repair. Minimum charge $75 covers something like the tear in the picture
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-21-2011, 5:40 PM Reply   
x 2 on Dr. Vinyl. We have used the a handful of times always with good results. The $75 min. should cover that little nick.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-21-2011, 5:50 PM Reply   
I had a couple spots fixed too. I work at an auto dealer so I just had our guy do a couple sposts for like $50. He did a great job, I'd recommend that as an excellent solution. If you know anyone at a dealership or even the guy you bought your last car from they can probably put you in touch with their guy.
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-22-2011, 10:08 AM Reply   
Called my dealer. To replace they said I would be looking at $500, about what i was expecting. I'm going to let their vinyl repair guy patch it for me, should be $65-$100. Hopefully i can just live with it.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-19-2011, 12:41 PM Reply   
hate, would your guy do a small repair on my boat? I have a few nicks in my vinyl...
Old     (chexi)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-19-2011, 3:59 PM Reply   
If you are in DFW area, I would recommend:

Kelton Fuller
Phone: 682-667-5899
Email: dfw@fibrenew.com

He fixed a 3 inch cut in my engine cover. It was a royal blue color that was extremely difficult to match, but he did eventually match it. Looks perfect. It feels a little different, not as slick, but that I understand is always going to happen.