Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-07-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
When are we doing the ^^^^^^^^^
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-07-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
lets start now

I've got a pile of snowboard stuff.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-07-2008, 9:01 AM Reply   
I have some skis and some other stuff I need to get out of my garage
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-07-2008, 9:01 AM Reply   
I think you mean the christmas thread. It's a great idea, but last year saw a lot of people taking blatent advantage of it. It's just a nightmare trying to have some sort accountability to it so when someone gets something, they also offer something up.

I say we wait a little longer, but if you've got something you want to give away, by all means, fire it up!
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-07-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
We should call it the WW Swapmeet!!!!
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-07-2008, 9:04 AM Reply   
Yes the Christmas thread and I remember last year being a complete F-ing disaster

(Message edited by lovin_the_wake on November 07, 2008)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-07-2008, 9:17 AM Reply   
Under Classifieds there should be a whole forum on just trades/give-a-ways
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-07-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
I feel like there's people that dont even post on ww and just grab free boards at xmas time.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-07-2008, 9:37 AM Reply   
How about minimum amount of posts to be able to participate? That would keep the people who don't contribute from participating and taking advantage. Maybe something like 100 posts?
Old     (tversetti)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-07-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
I was not here last winter. How did the system work?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       11-07-2008, 9:53 AM Reply   
Nice, it's always worth a try to get this going every year!
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-07-2008, 10:06 AM Reply   
How about we start a thread with a list of people who have received something already so they can't double dip. The only problem i can see with that is people just waiting for bigger items instead of trying to jump on anything they can get for free. i have pretty much everything i need at the moment unless someone has some of the old x series mastercraft stickers. I have a grip of nautique stickers if anyone wants them.
Old     (metz213)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-07-2008, 10:29 AM Reply   
Anyone looking to trade a wake setup for a snow setup...(board and bindings)

Nick..if your interested..i would be willing to check out your snow gear
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-07-2008, 10:44 AM Reply   
I have a 155 Forum (PL wide)
Forum ATE bindings
Burton Freestyle boots Size 13
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-07-2008, 11:29 AM Reply   
we could send all our give aways to one person (whom we all trust) and that person could send it out equally? maybe someone representing wakeworld? just a thought...
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-07-2008, 11:58 AM Reply   
Maybe Mr. Williams.........
Seems like the best canidate to me
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-07-2008, 12:00 PM Reply   
That is a good idea but that is a lot for one person to deal with
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-07-2008, 12:06 PM Reply   
I think last year it just turned into a cluster F--k. If memory serves it became a mess when people started trading vs. just giving things away. Greed always ruins the best intentions.
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-07-2008, 12:44 PM Reply   
I have tons of board shorts to give away or trade for same size would be cool.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-07-2008, 12:45 PM Reply   
"Greed always ruins the best intentions"

Word ! ! !
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-07-2008, 12:50 PM Reply   
Personally, if your interested in trading or selling something put it on the classifieds and keep the freebies to one thread. Basic rule that could be enforced as long as Mr. Williams deleted the threads that didnt belong. We could all manage each other if we post rules at the top, and pm dave with responses that need nuking. That's just my opinion.

With that said I prob wont participate myself. Generally I give my stuff away during/throughout the year as I find peeps who need/deserve the stuff so I usually dont have much to offer.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-07-2008, 7:59 PM Reply   
i kinda started a thread for ideas to clean up the Christmas-give-away a while back. Like everyone else, I love to see Christmas cheer, especially when wake related... but hate to see it get taken advantage of. Looks like a few more ideas have spawned since then, like the minimum number of postings thing. keep it amongst the contributors of these forums sounds good for at least one of the rules!

one of the ideas i presented earlier was kinda like the idea of sending everything to one person. I have thought about turning everything into an auction where the proceeds go to toys for tots or some other charity... i know it is not quite the same, but it is the surest way possible i can think of no one taking advantage. If one person wants to get a lot of stuff, then they will be giving even more dough to charity.

Also i remember from the previous thread i started that there were a select few people that might have grabbed quite a bit of stuff, but were actually in need of it and really tried to contribute back as their circumstances could allow. (So if any of YOU read this thread, know that we are not trying to bash on you) the "rules" might want to work around these individuals OR at least be worded as to not offend to scare away those who cant give something back anywhere near the value of what they get... which really is the BEST point of the thread, giving to those who TRULY need it. It gets hard to distinguish the truly needy and not. and it is equally hard not to expect it to become more like trading, expecting the receiver to give away something of near-equal-value.

(Message edited by wakerider111 on November 07, 2008)
Old     (duffmangt)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-08-2008, 7:44 AM Reply   
how does it work in the first place? does someone just post what theyre needing and if someone has it and is willing to give it up they do? or does someone who has something posts it up and people go crazy askin for it ;P
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-08-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   
The second one KDuff
It gets crazy. I swear there are a bunch of people who sit and hit the refresh button all day.

Don't get me wrong, it's great. I've gotten some things off of it, and given away some things through it. Great way to share the stoke, just needs to be monitored .

I like the idea of a minimum post number, last year it seemed there were quite a few people who registered just to get things.

(Message edited by dirwoody on November 08, 2008)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-08-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
AND they have to have been a member BEFORE the thread goes up! i can see some sly punk posting a bunch of nonsense responces here and there to get 100 posts or something.

Being a member since,... ohhh say, this month (or earlier)... should be a good way to put a checks and balances on the minimum post count!!!}
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-08-2008, 9:19 AM Reply   
I am getting the popcorn ready for this one....
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-08-2008, 9:26 AM Reply   
anyone have any snowboard pants that they don't use/don't fit into any more. i'm a 30-32 waist. mine are starting to take a lil water threw them. will to pay if they're in good condition. I just can't make myself go spend 200 bucks on a pair when i'm not sure how much i'll be boarding this year.
Old     (duffmangt)      Join Date: Jan 2008       11-08-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
ryan, if you dont have luck here whiskeymilitia is constantly posting pants right now at 50-70 bucks brand new. i see at least 3 daily
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-08-2008, 12:00 PM Reply   
sweet thanks kduff.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-08-2008, 2:38 PM Reply   
Well at least we're getting an early start on the subject this year last year as soon as the thread was mentioned total chaos broke out lol I kept up with the thread last year just because I was bored at work and wanted to watch the craziness :-) but I have a bunch of stuff to get rid of not all of it is necessarily wakeboarding stuff but it's all either for water sports or for a boat
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-12-2008, 3:36 PM Reply   
Gave away several things at the beginning of the thread last year, but like other said. outta contro. I stopped checking b/c I realized I was never going to be that fast (or that lame) to get anything. love the idea, but it didn't feel like giving last year. More like feeding an 800 gorilla.

**AHAH!! What if... we make the thread unsubscribable. That might cut done on the snatchers..

I also like the idea of post count limits AND registration date limits.

Is age a bad one??
Not that i don't want EVERYONE to play, but the ABILITY to give I think is important. Not that some kids don't have a garage full of stuff, just not sure they should be giving it away... Maybe not a good idea, just throwing out ideas.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-12-2008, 3:37 PM Reply   
oh yea, lacefield. I'm a lil fatter than last time I rode. got some black 30/32s if ya want to discuss it.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-12-2008, 8:22 PM Reply   
I want to see it kept fair. Last year some guy with stickers kept taking all the good stuff and offering stickers up in return.
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-12-2008, 8:35 PM Reply   
I say we do present limit, 1 or 2. Just do it on the honor system.

(Message edited by element8456 on November 12, 2008)
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-13-2008, 2:16 PM Reply   
The past few years it seemed like it fell apart and people got greedy quick, certain requirements would deff help. No matter what it's always fun to watch though!