Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-29-2013, 7:12 PM Reply   
A brand new Wetsounds equalizer just hit and is available now from your local Wetsounds dealers.
Master volume control.
Separate tower and in-boat zone controls.
Independent bass level control that will sum with either the tower or in-boat zones.
Maintains the dual zone 4-band equalizer and PA system.
Discrete six-channel output drivers.
Superior pro level construction.

David
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-29-2013, 7:39 PM Reply   
What is the retail price? Any pics?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-29-2013, 7:45 PM Reply   
Same $299 price.

http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/WS-420.html

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       03-29-2013, 7:47 PM Reply   
What are the differences in the 420SQ and the 420? From your brief description the only thing that jumped out was the bass volume control that sums from either tower or in-boats. Hopefully WS will do their typical press release soon with pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       03-29-2013, 8:02 PM Reply   
I like it alot. It looks like you could set the sub, tower, and inboats, then run off the main. To bad I just got my "old" one last summer
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-29-2013, 8:24 PM Reply   
Yeah, looks like there it's a master volume control now. I usually control the volume from my phone, so that wouldn't benefit me much. Looks like a better scheme than the ws420, but probably not much reason for most to upgrade.

I assume this replaces the old ws420 instead of being a separate option.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-29-2013, 8:29 PM Reply   
Kind of looks like they added all the features of Exile's ZLD that everyone loved and kept all the features that made the Wetsounds 420 so desirable. Looks to me like a great solution to the tough decision we have had to make between the ZLD and the 420. I am sold as I was just contemplating on which one I was gonna use for my latest install. Glad I waited

The only downside I can see is that faceplate being so busy. My clumsy hands can barely text.

Last edited by xstarrider; 03-29-2013 at 8:31 PM.
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       03-29-2013, 8:57 PM Reply   
Is there anywhere you can buy the new 420SQ online?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-29-2013, 9:06 PM Reply   
This is the way I see the Wetsounds EQ front panel.
The WS420SQ has 9 front panel stations.
The ZLD has 9.
The Clarion EQ has 11.
The Audio Control 3.2 has 11.
All are 1" X 7" 1/2-Din EQs.
So the Wetsounds faceplate isn't really more busy. It offers twice the features in the same real estate with the concentric controls and no additional control locations.
Also, the Wetsounds EQ has a larger face width with more faceplate overhang to the sides for easy flush-mounting. That little extra faceplate width may make it look like the controls are pushed more to the middle but that perception isn't accurate.
All the Wetsounds front panel functions are very useful. There is no variable lowpass crossover that would be redundant with that which already exists on every sub amplifier and is somewhat redundant with the bass level control.
The paragraphic bass control is gone which is a good idea since most users did not really understand it's benefits and usage, although I liked it.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-29-2013, 10:01 PM Reply   
Seems weird that they would change it when it was so awesome to begin with?

Though I will say it should work a lot more logically now. Man that's a lot of knobs.

Last edited by shawndoggy; 03-29-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-29-2013, 11:15 PM Reply   
meh... still no bluetooth. I'll keep waiting.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-30-2013, 4:09 AM Reply   
DBC, there are aux input devices that will receive Bluetooth. The Scosche BTAXMS will plug straight into the aux in on the rear of the 420 - it's around $50.

Thanks for the post David!
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-30-2013, 5:22 AM Reply   
I am glad to see they added the master volume control and a bit larger knobs but i almost wish they would have put the sub volume and mic volume together and seperated the tower and in boat volume into 2 larger knobs as at least for me, those are the controls I fiddle with the majority of the time. I agree with 9 iron, would be nice to see bluetooth added.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-30-2013, 5:37 AM Reply   
If you look inside the WS420SQ you will find that the circuit board is absolutely packed. Remember that this EQ is dual zone EQs, a PA and has more discrete output drivers so there is no room leftover. However, the appendages that can plug in are endless.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-30-2013, 6:07 AM Reply   
Looks like my old 420 is now for sale!
Old     (alex_hunter)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-30-2013, 6:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post
Looks like my old 420 is now for sale!
Mine too!!
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-30-2013, 6:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e_m View Post
If you look inside the WS420SQ you will find that the circuit board is absolutely packed. Remember that this EQ is dual zone EQs, a PA and has more discrete output drivers so there is no room leftover. However, the appendages that can plug in are endless.

David
Earmark Marine
There is always a way to pack more $hit into a smaller package
Attached Images

Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-30-2013, 6:46 AM Reply   
That's right. I think I'll hold out for the Samsung EQ.
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-30-2013, 7:50 AM Reply   
Just in time for my new boat - shipping now I hope. I like the master volume and isolated sub control. I do wish it had bluetooth. but i've already bought an aux unit for that so I guess I can plug it into the back of the unit.

And I'm pumped that you kept the mic - we use it all the time.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-30-2013, 4:19 PM Reply   
I had 3 420's on backorder from a couple weeks ago. They shipped out early this week and guess what? They're the new ones!!!! They look awesome!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-30-2013, 4:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyb View Post
DBC, there are aux input devices that will receive Bluetooth. The Scosche BTAXMS will plug straight into the aux in on the rear of the 420 - it's around $50.

Thanks for the post David!
Yeah, I'm aware of the various discrete Bluetooth options. But I was hoping for an integrated solution. I just ordered a new Malibu, and I skipped the $250 Bluetooth option because I plan on doing an aftermarket stereo with an EQ (bypassing Malibu's head unit entirely).

I'm still scratching my head... Bluetooth is ubiquitous in almost every new automobile, aftermarket stereo, phone, tablet, pc, etc. etc. It's an easy (and cheap) add. And I don't buy the crowded circuit board excuse. I'm in the motherboard business... I sit through feature and design meetings every day. It just seems like they cut a corner here. They could have added it, but decided not to for some reason.

Don't get me wrong, it looks like a nice unit with definite improvements over the old one. I had high hopes when I opened this thread, but lacking Bluetooth I'll probably stick with Exile.
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-30-2013, 7:51 PM Reply   
Wetsounds has a stand alone Bluetooth unit that should be out soon
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-01-2013, 9:48 AM Reply   
Yes it's official. Press release out soon.

The WS-420 SQ is out and shipping now. I planned it pretty well as we just sold out the last of the WS-420 and all back orders were fulfilled with the new SQ version. I was able to completely re design the unit from the ground up and still keep the costs the same. So WS-420 SQ is still $299.99

Some updates on the features.

-master volume control as a lot of our customers were asking for it as they no longer use a head unit so the unit makes more sense now to be a standalone unit.
-true 3 zone control. (only true 3 zone controller on the market) Tower, Boat and Sub are all independent level controls. You can truly dial it in exactly as you want. With discrete outputs for the best sound quality.
-re designed cosmetics. larger master volume and larger sub control and mic control. we kept the ring/knob on the tower and boat due to space. We view the new unit as most will adjust the tower/boat and sub to how they want them and use the master. With the sub being the second most touched control after the master. Most will not be always tweaking the boat and tower so we are Ok with them being a little smaller.
-New board design 100% ground up. new op amps, new output devices, new line driver (dual gain adjustments inside the chassis on the board for those who really like the tweak)
-New dual zone equalizer. Still has our tried and true dual zone equalizer however I tweaked the output and output range so it is easier to use and not as sensitive.
-lower noise floor with amazing sound quality
-tweaked microphone output so less sensitive of feedback

As for the Bluetooth comments. Adding a BT unit onto the board is not as easy as finding the space. There is a whole host of other issues with noise and range to take into account. (trust me, I know all about it) We are always testing and always building prototypes. I will not release something until it is right.

We will have an inexpensive add on BT module. It is a high end sound quality 12 volt unit and not a battery powered portable desktop type system. It is designed to add on to any head unit or to the WS-420. Right now the best sound quality and range is keeping it a separate piece. More information to follow.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-01-2013, 3:04 PM Reply   
Top: WS-420
Bottom: WS-420SQ

Name:  Wet Sounds WS-420SQ (Large).jpg
Views: 5126
Size:  66.8 KB
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-01-2013, 3:10 PM Reply   
Nice pic Ben!

Pretty cool seeing it like that. I should dig up one of the first gen ones as well.

FYI: New WS-420 SQ has blue and red illumination. To change it, pope the cover off and move a jumper on the board. Ran out of room and relaize most pick a color and leave it that color so having front panel ability isn’t necessary.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-01-2013, 4:54 PM Reply   
A little far but...
Attached Images

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-01-2013, 5:33 PM Reply   
Do we have to specify which unit or will the default of a 420 order be the new unit and the old style is no longer available. I ask because my dealer is the one doing the ordering and they are not so up to date on the WS releases. I am about to put through an order and just want to make sure i get all the gear (and the correct gear) in time before I go under the knife. Wasn't planning on an EQ but hey how can I pass this new unit up. Mine as well wire it all at once
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-01-2013, 6:01 PM Reply   
All orders will be the new WS-420 SQ. Older version is no longer in stock so your all good

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-01-2013, 6:03 PM Reply   
great surprise, I will have three very happy customers !
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-03-2013, 12:23 PM Reply   
How does the sub volume control work???

David stated - "Independent bass level control that will sum with either the tower or in-boat zones"

Tim stated - "true 3 zone control. (only true 3 zone controller on the market) Tower, Boat and Sub are all independent level controls"

I guess I am not clear by what David means by "sum with tower or in-boats". Is the sub volume on its own or is it controlled by selecting it to be part of the in-boats OR the towers. Today, it is only part of the in-boats, correct?

I assume it is a totally separate control similar to the Clarion EQ where it has its own sub level (I realize that the Clarion is only a 1 Zone EQ).

Thanks

Sorry for the question but
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-03-2013, 1:02 PM Reply   
The sub volume is independent and not tied to the volume level of the in boats like the previous model. The entire output of the 420SQ is based off of the Master VC.

I think what David meant is that now you could play just the tower speakers and the sub if you wanted instead of having to turn up the in boats in order to hear the sub.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-04-2013, 7:57 AM Reply   
The WS-420SQ is a 3 zone controller. So 3 completely separate volume controls zones controlled by the Master.

So you can have tower all the way up, sub all the way up and in boats off. Sub all the way up with towers off and in boats half way etc...This way you can set the levels of the zones anyway you want and then control them up and down with the master. All other eq's are based on a fader. That will fade more to the front(tower) or rear(boat) This does not give you complete custom control over exactly what you want the zones to do. so with discrete outputs. You can dial the system in to however you want it exactly.

Speaking of the WS-420SQ. Check this out. Wet Wire is now shipping. we designed a signal kit specific for the 420. It is a 6 ch RCA. Single rca jacket with 6 ch RCA on each end. The end into the 420 has a union with the split 1 foot away. The other end has a 3 foot whip. so the union is 3 feet away, allowing you to run the RCA to all your amps even if they are spaced apart. This makes it a one cable run for the 420 to the amps. In the signal kit, we also have a single RCA from head unit to 420. And we have a really cool primary wire that is power/ground/remote in one jacket. so you can run this one cable back to the amps and make sure the head unit and eq are sharing the same power and ground and remote. This will help eliminate noise and also makes it very easy to run. We sell the cables on their own as well if someone is not running a head unit and just needs the 6 ch RCA.

The Wet Wire RCA are quad shielded and double twisted for the highest grade you can buy for signal and noise rejection. All the heads and machined brass and over molded compact with integrated strain relief.

Wet Wire also has a full line of speaker wire, combination wire with speaker and RGB LED wire in one jacket, power/ground wire. Fuse and Combination distribution blocks that can be 2 ANL or 4 mini ANL fuse, 4 ground, 2 mini ANL fuse with 2 ground, RGB wire in one jacket, dash mount 3.5 aux jack, dash mount passive volume control, and circuit breakers. all is marine rated. The wire is fully certified for CEA-2015 and BC-5W2 marine rating. All wire is 100% oxygen free tinned wire with a super soft flexible jacket.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Attached Images

Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       04-04-2013, 1:45 PM Reply   
Looks great Tim! Prices? I wish I knew about a couple if these two days ago when I ordered my new 420, I coulda saved some money on all the shipping costs I've been racking up. Lol
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-04-2013, 3:24 PM Reply   
Is the last pic a upgraded version of a pac lc1?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-05-2013, 8:55 AM Reply   
wakesounds, sorrybud! I have been hustlin to get it all up, I am getting all of this on the site as we speak. As you can see it is a ton of sku's so getting all of it up there has been a task.

cowboy, the Wet Sounds VC is our passive volume control. It operates just like a pac LC1. It is a fully passive volume control. Can be used on it's own or we have a lot of guys in ATV's use the 3.5 jack to VC and run a ipod with no head unit in their side by sides.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (k59)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-06-2013, 8:48 AM Reply   
Damnit! I literally just bought a new WetSounds WS-420 about two weeks ago from my dealer to replace my old one that WetSounds couldn't warranty out because it was "water-logged." Wish I had known this one was coming out! Tim-anything you can do to get me into the new one? I literally had it installed less than two weeks ago.

:-(
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-07-2013, 8:23 AM Reply   
Is the wetwire stuff going to be sold thru wetsounds?
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-07-2013, 6:51 PM Reply   
Don, through dealers or Wet Sounds direct.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-08-2013, 4:32 AM Reply   
Replaced my WS420 (first edition) with the WS-420SQ this weekend. It's pretty nice to have a main and separate sub zone independent of the interiors. Also just finished up changing out my 10 to a xs12. So much more boom. I wasn't planning to replace the eq but the mic input went out on my old one.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-08-2013, 7:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm525 View Post
Is the wetwire stuff going to be sold thru wetsounds?
Wet Wire is our own wire so sold direct from us or from any of our authorized Wet Sounds dealers. Power and signal flow are one of the most important aspects of a quality system. This is why we use XS Power batteries and why we have now have our own wire. So we know if you use the right battery with the right wire to our amps and to our speakers. The outcome is going to be awesome.

We are also offering an extended 1 year warranty when running Wet Wire to Wet Sounds amps and Wet Sounds speakers when installed by an authorized Wet Sounds dealer.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-08-2013, 9:06 AM Reply   
Here is a pic of the WS-420 signal kit. Comes with the 6 ch RCA for tower/boat/sub output and a 2 ch RCA for the input from head unit. Also, comes with the single jacket primary wire. So you only need to pull one cable from deck to 420. And two cables (6 ch rca and primary cable) over to the amps. Makes it a lot easier than 4 separate RCA cables and 3 separate primary wires. The Starboard kit is $159.99 and the Port side kit is $184.99. Both kits come with 7 meters of the 6 ch RCA and primary cable. And the Starboard kit comes with a 1.5 meter 2 ch as this kit is designed for the radio unit being on Starboard side where the 420 is being installed. The port side kit comes with a 7 meter 2 ch where the radio is in the glove box or port side and signal has to go over to the 420 and back to the amps.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Attached Images

Old     (oldstv)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-08-2013, 1:31 PM Reply   
I need this kit. I have a 22MXZ with an all stock system and want control over the tower speakers primarily, so this looks like it will work perfectly. How hard is it to get the wire from the helm over to the amps?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-08-2013, 2:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstv View Post
I need this kit. I have a 22MXZ with an all stock system and want control over the tower speakers primarily, so this looks like it will work perfectly. How hard is it to get the wire from the helm over to the amps?
The MXZ is a cakewalk. You will find cables etc already running from the helm over to the port mid-ship locker right behind the bow tank and its drain pump. Lift up the carpeted cover and you will see.
Old     (oldstv)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-08-2013, 2:41 PM Reply   
It is about time I bought something that is easy to work on.
Now I need to get this ordered.
Old     (oldstv)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-08-2013, 2:48 PM Reply   
Is there a brain for the head unit on the other side of the boat? I am trying to decide which kit I need.
Old     (moto817)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-08-2013, 4:18 PM Reply   
Ok I must be missing something but I can't find Wet Wire online anywhere. Interested In them but is there an online retailer or can I check them out on the wetsounds site ?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-08-2013, 4:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstv View Post
Is there a brain for the head unit on the other side of the boat? I am trying to decide which kit I need.
Yes, the Rockford Fosgate Black Box is located on the amp wall, along with any OEM installed amps, in the port side mid-ship locker. You will need the extended kit if you plan to locate the WS-420 at the helm.
Old     (oldstv)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-08-2013, 6:37 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help. I will be ordering first thing in the am. Any suggestions on where to buy?
Old     (davidggriffith)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-08-2013, 7:38 PM Reply   
Moto wetsounds haven't put up there wet wire line on there website yet
Old     (moto817)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-09-2013, 6:52 AM Reply   
Damn ok thanks , trying to get the system done before cie , hopefully they're available soon !
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-09-2013, 6:58 AM Reply   
I want to order this kit I have a 2013 MB 23wb. Can't wait. I don't see it listed on Wetsounds website yet.
Old     (DQ)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-09-2013, 7:29 AM Reply   
They are available now, just send them an email at info@wetsounds.com. I always get an answer or call back when I send them an email. Great service. Good job on this Wet Sounds. Product looks great

Last edited by DQ; 04-09-2013 at 7:32 AM. Reason: mispell
Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-10-2013, 7:54 AM Reply   
I love my WS-420, but when will it have the karaoke functionality? (found this meme online, thought it was worth sharing!)
Attached Images