Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (03AirNautique)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-08-2014, 9:17 PM Reply   
Are the Wet sounds xs808's or JL 7.7's worth getting over 6.5's?

I have a basic system in my boat right now with 4 jl audio tr650 and the stock clarion 6.5 in the bow powered by an 400 watt 4 channel amp. I don't have a sub or tower speakers.

I was thinking of putting one of the sets of JL's in the bow and buying an 8" coax in the rear speaker location. I am hoping to get a little more bass with out adding a sub. I also realize that 8" speakers won't take the place of a deicent sub with 500+ watts going to it.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-09-2014, 6:50 AM Reply   
In a word, yes! Side by side, all powered the same, you will hear the difference in all 3. The 7.7 has more surface area then a typical 6/6.5" speaker and the Wet Sounds 808 has even more. This equates to deeper mid-bass, more output and more power handling. For the pair in the bow, be mindful of the mounting depth. The 7.7 is little deeper than the average 6.5" but the 808 is a monster! I would also consider staying with the same in-boat all the way around. Every speaker builder has his own signature.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-09-2014, 7:18 AM Reply   
As said above, the 7.7" is a dramatic increase in performance over any 6.5". The 8" is a bit larger and you can expect more output.
You also have a JL Audio 880 to choose from which is a full 8" coaxial (like the 808)....a true monster....and doesn't fit many coaming locations.
There are a number of speaker attributes that contribute to deep bass other than surface area, but surface area is typically the primary one and almost always the biggest factor in overall output.
The Wetsounds 808 and JL Audio M7.7 sound completely different from top to bottom. You have to hear both on a good system to judge. The 808 is louder. After that I can't predict which will sound better to you.
Both deserve much more power than a 6.5" would receive.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       03-09-2014, 7:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03AirNautique View Post
Are the Wet sounds xs808's or JL 7.7's worth getting over 6.5's?

I have a basic system in my boat right now with 4 jl audio tr650 and the stock clarion 6.5 in the bow powered by an 400 watt 4 channel amp. I don't have a sub or tower speakers.

I was thinking of putting one of the sets of JL's in the bow and buying an 8" coax in the rear speaker location. I am hoping to get a little more bass with out adding a sub. I also realize that 8" speakers won't take the place of a deicent sub with 500+ watts going to it.
the answer is yes like above……

Tuning is a huge factor when wanting to add more bass or to change the sound. you could try having the amplifier retuned first or just add what speakers you want and retune then…. the 808's and 880's will be harder to accommodate than the 7.7's in most boats…..