Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-24-2014, 4:51 AM Reply   
I had our new house's basement gutted due to a mold issue ... we're now rebuilding and not sure what do to with the ceiling.

We were able to salvage the drop ceiling from before but I plan on re-studding all of the exterior walls which will screw up the drop ceiling ... so, it might be easier to just scrap it.

From there we have 3 options:

1. New drop ceiling - I like it to be able access plumbing / electrical / HVAC if needed, wife hates it because "its ugly"

2. Drywall the ceiling - I don't like it because it hides everything and if we need to access any of our mechanical systems its a huge PITA, wife likes it because its pretty

3. Paint the Joists / everything black - I like it because it keeps everything open and gives head room, wife likes the "industrial" look so she isn't against it.

.... so I guess my question is, Are there any glaring downsides to painting the joists, ductwork, plumbing, etc etc all black or white in the basement like the photo(s) below?

The "east half" of the gutted basement:

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-24-2014, 8:51 AM Reply   
I agree that T-Bar is always nice for future access but doesn't look the best in a house. The top picture with everything painted black actually looks really good. The only downside to a black ceiling would be that it could make the ceiling look even lower than it is and won't give you as much reflection for the lighting. This is why most ceilings are always white.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-24-2014, 9:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
nd won't give you as much reflection for the lighting.
The basement (this main area) will be used as a theater with a small wetbar in the corner... so less light isn't a bad thing.

I would think as long as I tape off any plumbing valves (so I don't paint them in place), electrical outlet (to protect from overspray), and HVAC openings I'll be okay.

Pros - Cheap, wife approves, can still access all utilities in an emergency
Cons - ? ... worst case is we cover it with a drop ceiling if it looks like **** and I'm out the cost of paint.
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-24-2014, 2:34 PM Reply   
I like the idea of going with the painted-exposed ceiling look. As you mentioned above, going with a dark paint color will help camouflage all of the overhead MEPs. Here's a couple of things I could think of that you might want to consider though:

- Not sure if lighting was in your budget but I'd recommend replacing/upgrading your lights from the current 2x4 lay-ins. Just make sure whatever new fixtures you go with have housings/trims that can be painted to match the ceiling color.
- Similar to your current acoustical ceiling set-up an exposed ceiling will make for easy/flexible install of speakers/projectors as opposed to a hard lid ceiling.
- You can go ahead and paint your HVAC openings (diffusers/registers/grilles/etc..) to match the ceiling. It's best to remove them and paint them on the ground though.
- You might consider using a Dryfall type paint. I'm not sure how common it is in residential construction but it is very prevalent in commercial.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-24-2014, 3:36 PM Reply   
Definitely loose the drop ceiling. It's just awful. Cover what is unsightly. Paint everything else black. That would be my vote.
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-25-2014, 7:28 AM Reply   
The only downside I found in just paint is that there is no insulation of the theater to the upstairs. I originally tried it but found when I was watching a movie at decent volume it was just too loud upstairs. I ended up going with the gridmax system where instead of dropping the ceiling the frame screws directly to the joists and saves ceiling height. I wedged some 1" black acoustic tiles and it made a huge difference. I left the grid white and with the black tiles I thought it made a pretty cool theater look. I'll have to dig up pictures (old house) but below is what mine ended up looking like.
Attached Images

Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-26-2014, 1:20 PM Reply   
I like both of your top two pictures. I had to look twice at those pictures to see that they showed exposed, painted joists. Both pictures are of tastefully decorated rooms, and to me, that also makes the transition to understanding that the joists are exposed as being just another (tasteful) design choice of the homeowner. (It's just my preference, but I like the while a little better.)

If sound insulation is an issue, maybe you can adjust that with carpeting on the floor above.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-26-2014, 1:33 PM Reply   
Your question was, "Are there any glaring downsides to painting the joists, ductwork, plumbing, etc etc all black or white in the basement like the photo(s) below?"

I can't see how there could be. My parents house was built in 1972. My mom's parents house in ... whew ... the teens? My dad's parents house in the 1880's (although razed in about 1995).

All have/had basements with the joists and everything left bare (and unpainted). It is my belief that doing so has had no impact on shortening the lifespan of any utility. I believe that painting such things would only add the chore of dusting and/or cleaning.

If the grime cakes up beyond what you like, you can always hide it with tile after that.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-26-2014, 4:40 PM Reply   
What about a dynamat sound barrier or something of that nature for the sound transfer upstairs?
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-05-2014, 8:50 AM Reply   
I think the biggest argument I would have is that your concern about enclosing the ceiling just isnt' really valid.. All of the HVAC/Elec/Etc within your house is closed off. As long as you have things done right - there should be no reason you ever need "access" to a HVAC run. Yes, there is always the bigger chance for "what it" - but if you have a "what if" scenario (water, etc) - the ceiling is coming out anyways.. I understand the concern - but it's just not really substantied. Now, if you just want an open ceiling, so be it.. But If you're only doing it for "what it" scenarios - then it's easy enough and clean to just rock it.. Your house, your bucks - just saying that the disaster scnenario is rare and will require tearing **** out anyways..

Good luck!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-05-2014, 9:03 AM Reply   
Do your HVAC air runs hang lower than the floor joists? If so then they'll have to be boxed out before you rock them. Imnguessing yes since someone put in that gawd awful drop ceiling. I concur that you shouldn't worry about rocking it. By your same logic you may as well not have sheet rock anywhere in the house in case you have a problem. Personally, I'd finish it out but painting it and seeing if you can live with it is cheap and you can always rock it after the fact.
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-05-2014, 11:17 AM Reply   
That really depends on what you want to accomplish. When I built my bar / man cave in the basement I was not looking for a nice finished room. I really like the look of it but it doesn't do anything for sound. I had really low ceilings and if anything it helped the room feel taller.

Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       12-05-2014, 2:53 PM Reply   
"All of the HVAC/Elec/Etc within your house is closed off. As long as you have things done right - there should be no reason you ever need "access" to a HVAC run."

Generally that's right ... until ... given enough time, you'll be upgrading or doing something to or with your utilities. Leaving yourself access is not bad, and, maybe good. In my parents 40 years in the same home, they have:--

-replaced the two heater units which meant reworking of existing ductwork where they connect
(albeit, in some homes this would only affect a utility closet), and long before that (which was done just this year)
- added humidifiers, which meant T-taps into copper water lines,
- run an extra 220 V circuit,
- ran various other changes in the 110 V wiring,
- added a wet bar in one place and then just a sink in another, which meant re-doing copper plumbing,
- added cable lines for cable TV,

and so on. In the 40 years, it's been only once every 2, 3 4 or 5 years that my dad or some contractor has been working in the joist space. But I'm sure it was easier for them to do their planning because it was easier to see the whole network from the underside ... since it was left bare.

I like Mark's man cave too.
Old     (Jed)      Join Date: Aug 2013       12-19-2014, 9:17 AM Reply   
In the unlikely case of a basement fire. Having a sheetrock ceiling will make a huge difference on damage and total dollars lost......
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       12-19-2014, 12:51 PM Reply   
I really like the painted black in the first picture. And since the wife likes the look, and it accomplishes your goals, then GO FOR IT. the drop ceiling looks like a cheap conference room in a run down hotel. Please make it go away.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-19-2014, 1:27 PM Reply   
We are in the demo process currently.

Studs going up over the next few days, then the electrical is going in, once that is in along with my home theater wiring, I'll be starting the painting.

I think we're going to go for this look "blue glow" ..... through the use of lighting covers (like they did) and LED strips around the edges. I think it will help with both the bar and theater vibe too.

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       12-19-2014, 1:52 PM Reply   
Totally love it.

I put blue led's above my kitchen cabinets so that they glow blue onto the ceiling. it's really subtle and you barely even notice it when the lights are on. But at night it's really cool.

You can see the blue glow here sort of. but this pic is before we got the backsplash done, so I like the next pic better.

You can't see the blue glow as good here, but I like this picture a lot better because it showcases our stainless checkered backsplash which I love.

And just for kicks, here's the same kitchen before we transformed it. (painted cabinets white, added brushed pulls, replaced counters with Silestone quartz, new composite bottom mount sink with new faucet, painted trim around window black, new barstools.) Night and day difference.

Last edited by trayson; 12-19-2014 at 1:54 PM.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-19-2014, 3:45 PM Reply   
Trayson: I don't think that is his basement, just an idea of how he wants his ceiling to look when done. Wasn't sure if you caught that?

PS, HarmAn's are better than HarmOn's. lol.......cause I'm a Harman.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       12-19-2014, 3:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
Trayson: I don't think that is his basement, just an idea of how he wants his ceiling to look when done. Wasn't sure if you caught that?

PS, HarmAn's are better than HarmOn's. lol.......cause I'm a Harman.
Yeah, I caught it. But I thought that his vision for what he wanted it to look like was dead on ballz...

So you're Harman Kardon speakers and I'm a Harmony remote control. LOL

I guess way back in the day, my last name used to be the very Irish "O'Harmon". but along the way they dropped the "O".
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-02-2015, 10:06 AM Reply   
Started the painting last night.... it sucks. 1 gallon did about 100 ft^2.

Hopefully can get a few more gallons up there tonight and keep going.... but, yeah, isn't a very fun job.

Basement progress so far:

Bar side framing ( now 100% finished)

Storage side of the basement framed

Bathroom / Laundry framing ( now completed)

1 gallon covered this:
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-09-2015, 1:42 PM Reply   
Finally got it finished.... when all was said and done, it took 7 gallons.

Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-09-2015, 3:44 PM Reply   
"Started the painting last night.... it sucks. 1 gallon did about 100 ft^2."

^^^ You're doing great. My wakeboarding skills are declining but my ability to pay contractors to do such things like this for me are improving. Which is better !?!?
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-10-2015, 7:24 AM Reply   
Nick did you use the Sherman Williams dryfall? That stuff is great.
Old     (jcfox00)      Join Date: Mar 2009       02-10-2015, 7:37 AM Reply   
Looks good!

Another cheap option but a more rustic look is to put barn wood style paneling on the ceiling and use pole barn screws to get the use of drop down ceilings, but with just screws. $162 to do my whole basement.
Attached Images

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-11-2015, 7:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Nick did you use the Sherman Williams dryfall? That stuff is great.
I went with the cheapest flat black walmart had to start... $10/gal.

Then tried a Behr paint-n-primer combo, it was the exact same coverage and color, so I went back to the cheap stuff.

Quote:
You're doing great. My wakeboarding skills are declining but my ability to pay contractors to do such things like this for me are improving. Which is better !?!?
I'm getting ****ty at wakeboarding and am too cheap to pay people for most things.... I have the worst of both worlds.

Quote:
Another cheap option but a more rustic look is to put barn wood style paneling
Where di you get this from? We have a 44" x 86" hole in the basement we're doing a large sliding barn door (we have already) but the color isn't exactly what my wife wants... she would prefer something a bit more "grey" .... your panels look almost perfect and it would be super easy to just tack that on to our existing door.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-11-2015, 8:10 PM Reply   
Ceiling with drywall (at least hung)

Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-12-2015, 4:45 AM Reply   
what your plan for the top of the drywall ? molding?
Old     (jcfox00)      Join Date: Mar 2009       02-12-2015, 6:35 AM Reply   
Hey Nick!
I rode with you when you were in Minneapolis behind Nick's epic... good times! Hope Wisconsin is treating you well, looks like they do have electircity there!
I got them from Menards they come in 4' X 8' panels and I think they are the Aspen style.

http://www.menards.com/main/paint/pa...383-c-8168.htm

Last edited by jcfox00; 02-12-2015 at 6:43 AM.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-12-2015, 7:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Hope Wisconsin is treating you well, looks like they do have electircity there!
Haha, still using an outhouse though.... we're getting there, I miss Minneapolis a ton, but being back in my Wife's home town makes her happy, so life is easier.

Thanks for the link!

Quote:
what your plan for the top of the drywall ? molding?
Right now I think I'll paint and see how it looks with nothing... right now honestly I don't mind it the way it is. The other thought would be molding which I would probably have about 1" off the joists and LED strip the whole perimeter to have the edge of the room glow.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-12-2015, 7:34 AM Reply   
Quickly placed the projector in to see how the image would fill the wall we built to hold the screen... I think it will be about perfect. The picture is about 5" larger than my screen would be. I'm hung up on if I use my old nicer L/R/C speakers on the floor, or use some in-wall speakers I bought to keep the whole front of the screen "clean".

Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       02-16-2015, 9:54 AM Reply   
Really cool to see the progress you have made Nick. I love being able to follow projects along on here. But looks great already, cant wait to see some final product
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-17-2015, 7:20 AM Reply   
So for the AV setup, I have all my gear in another room in a tower/rack.... last night I ran an HDMI from that receiver to the where the screen will mount and have it attached to a plate, so that I can add a device from that room if needed.... like someone brings their laptop over or something, we can simply plug in there rather than dig through the AV gear in the other room.

I also got the wires for the sub run, new projector HDMI run (first was DOA), and cut the holes / test fit the speakers for my L/R/C speakers.

Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-17-2015, 11:33 AM Reply   
Nice. I have full surround installed, but when we are just chilln I don't like that much volume. Installed a soundbar with wireless subwoofer and it sounds fantastic. Now the only time we turn on surround is for movies, fights and big games otherwise the soundbar works like a champ. Plus with the BlueTooth it is great.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       02-17-2015, 1:17 PM Reply   
Looks great so far. One suggestion I have but it might be an after thought now since drywall is in already. I would run 1.5" smurf tubes from your central location to your wall boxes rather than an HDMI in the wall. A few reasons being you can add additional cords/wires at any time, replace the hdmi if it were to break or become obsolete when the next best form of media cable cable takes over, etc...
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-26-2015, 7:30 AM Reply   
I few more updated pics -

Some paint on the wall(s) and LRC speakers in ... and electrical is finally hooked up!

Wife wanted a little home gym so we came up with this. Its 14'x14', soft mats that have a "wood" look to them. Free weights and treadmill should be showing up this week

Screen in ... its a 106" Projecta motorized screen and I have an Epson 8350 projector for the image.
The rest of the AV gear is:
* BIC LRC speakers, klipsch sub, Bose for the rears.... kinda a hodgepodge but sounds pretty good
* Pioneer vsx-824-k receiver .... hdmi out is split 3 ways, 1 to the gym, one to the projector, and 1 to another TV in the bar/theater room
* PS3 / Direct TV / HTPC / FireStick for sources ..... also 1 HDMI input at the front of the room if someone wants to plug in
* Harmony Home Ultimate running the show

..... all the sources are in another room to keep the clutter away from where we'll watch / play

Best part is, the black ceiling is working exactly as expected.... with the screen up and walls finished, the black ceiling just sort of fades away and you don't even notice its there.

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 03-26-2015 at 7:33 AM.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-26-2015, 8:21 AM Reply   
Love it
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       03-26-2015, 1:46 PM Reply   
Nice job! that is going to be one awesome basement to have. Have you thought about painting the screen mount black to really have that movie theater look?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-26-2015, 2:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Nice job! that is going to be one awesome basement to have. Have you thought about painting the screen mount black to really have that movie theater look?
Yeah, I'm torn... It would be nice to have it black, but I don't want to risk getting paint in/on/around the screen itself, the motor, or the sensor. I might just keep my eye peeled for a 120" fixed frame screen and hop on that for down here.

Then I could move this one to our bedroom.... I have an extra 720p projector I don't use, so that might be a good home for it.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-26-2015, 3:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
Totally love it.
I read his "blue glow" and "LED" comment and immediately knew your comment on this thread was impending.

Besides that, I like how everything is turning out. I like how you didn't take the mold as a downer, but took it as an opportunity to do another project.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-26-2015, 4:02 PM Reply   
Paint those inwalls to match. You can take your wall paint in to a paint store and have it put in spray cans.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-27-2015, 7:24 AM Reply   
Got the bathroom framed up last night ... once tub/shower is hooked up drywall can happen in here and then, finally, flooring!

Also in the Bar / Theater room got the "bar" TV hung and wires run
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-27-2015, 8:40 AM Reply   
the framing around the tub looks funky, or are those just your furring strips?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-27-2015, 8:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
the framing around the tub looks funky, or are those just your furring strips?
Rather than doing traditional 16" on center vertical studs, we did horizontal stringers around where the tub/shower will attach.... this way we can add as many screws to connect the tub/shower to the wall(s) as we need/want rather than just one every 16". Since the cubby we framed up is just for the tub/shower I figured we could built it specifically for that purpose.
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       03-28-2015, 5:08 AM Reply   
don't know if it's true or not, but been told here in WI, not finishing the ceiling means that the tax man cannot count a "finished" basement as liveable square footage. nice on the tax bill. have seen several basements that are carpeted/rocked and finished but exposed wood ceiling.

looks good. like the blacked out ceiling.
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-28-2015, 8:14 AM Reply   
Nick get a roll of matte black vinyl for your screen housing. No worries about paint and completely removable if you want to later on in life. Scott I believe that you are right but if you never pull a building permit, which who is going to see upgrades in you basement, you will not be reassessed. If you can get to the backside of you walls definitely run smurf tube. Things change so quickly, remember s-video, component cables etc hdmi will be replaced at some point.
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       03-28-2015, 2:57 PM Reply   
not sure about kaukauna, but here, stories of the assessors going door to door to inspect those with unfinished basements I have heard.

biggest reason why mine is still a blank canvas. taxes are stupid-high here already....

and my douche out of work contractor neighbor would turn me in for sure for doing a reno without hiring him
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-28-2015, 4:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
don't know if it's true or not, but been told here in WI, not finishing the ceiling means that the tax man cannot count a "finished" basement as liveable square footag
That is what I was told by our town building inspector too... he is good friends with my mom so assumed he wasn't bluffing. That was our hope, gut because of the mold, re-assess to bring the taxes down, rebuilt but with the open ceiling to keep it "unfinished".

Quote:
looks good. like the blacked out ceiling.
Thanks! It turned out better than I expected.
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       03-29-2015, 11:22 AM Reply   
nice thing is if you ever sell, pay a few grand to put up a ceiling at time of listing and sell as a larger house

next owners tax issue.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-30-2015, 6:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
nice thing is if you ever sell, pay a few grand to put up a ceiling at time of listing and sell as a larger house
That's the plan! We made sure to move all the plumbing and electrical into the joists and use recessed lighting, so when its time, it will be pretty easy to slap drywall up there.

Hopefully this week will be:
Plumb in bathroom
Drywall bathroom
Get laundry room ready for drywall
Get floors prepped and ready for flooring install next week
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-30-2015, 6:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Nick get a roll of matte black vinyl for your screen housing.
This is a great idea, Thanks!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-03-2015, 7:13 AM Reply   
Got the projector hung last night.... had to be ready to watch the Badgers get to and win a National Championship.

Old     (ImLon2)      Join Date: May 2015       05-13-2015, 2:04 PM Reply   
Great Build, and looks great!! Tagging along for the ride on this one!!

I found this tread while searching the web for "painted black ceiling". the height of my basement is a little over 7', and I have it split off into a a huge Sport Bar with a large sitting area, a bathroom, and a bedroom. My original thought was to do the drop ceiling that uses the grids that mount to the floor joist (only lose 1") after I had everything fished and knew I would not need access the the joist for running new wires ect. I'm really glad I did not drywall, because I have already changed how I had things hooked up and that would not have been possible had I of done drywall at the time I was building this area. Last year I finished the bedroom and bathroom with the drop ceiling I had planned on using in the bar... Till I put it up in those two areas, I'm glad I started with those rooms first. I hate it, and it makes you feel like you are in a box, since the ceiling is only 7'. I really like the look of the black, just wish I would have thought about this a few years again when I started finishing the basement, not when I'm almost done.. This will not be an easy task. The good thing is I plan on repainting the whole bar/sitting area..

How large of an area do you have an how much paint did you use?

I also like this picture you posted with the glow of the Blue LED's How do you think they made this work? This would look great with all my bar signs.

Again looks great, and keep the pictures coming!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-13-2015, 5:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
I also like this picture you posted with the glow of the Blue LED's How do you think they made this work?
Looking at the picture more, the ceiling maybe painted a blue color....

If you were going to sink LEDs above, I would add crown molding, keep it 1" from the joists and then point them in towards to the center of the room.

Some updates on our basement:

Bathroom is all drywalled - flooring going in this week (same is living area) ... then vanity / sink and paint will go in .... still not sure of a good color.

Laundry drywalled

Ready for flooring -

I started laying the floor yesterday .... finished the theater/bar room last night, and half of the laundry room. The floor is called "Floorte" from Shaw, its a vinyl plank but has a PVC backing to it so it is 100% waterproof.... I wanted waterproof because of the walkout to the lake and the fact our dogs potty training isn't ideal. Hopefully can get the rest done by the weekend then start putting trim on. Then last but not least I can get all the cabinets / counters for the bar in.

View out from the upstairs living room
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-13-2015, 5:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
How large of an area do you have an how much paint did you use?
The main area is ~22 ft x ~25ft and for that size space I used like 7.5 gallons..... it was awful. I tried to do a gallon or two a night for a week straight. I just used the cheapest base paint Walmart had ... then had them ad "FLAT ONYX BLACK", it was $10/gal. I used a Wagner sprayer to get it up there. The hardest part was using a big spotlight / floodlight .... the problem was the light was so bright the blacked washed out and looked like wet even if it wasn't painted yet. I eventually got a LED headlamp to help see what was / wasn't done.

It was pretty easy in the sense I had no walls or floors to watch out for.... but the sprayer was pretty accurate but there was definitely oversrapy.... I would plastic off the walls and floors.
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-14-2015, 11:19 AM Reply   
Looking great.

Do you recall the price per foot of the flooring? Can't find any posted online. Thanks
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-14-2015, 11:39 AM Reply   
We paid "Flooring show special" pricing ... so my guess is we didn't really get a deal, but it sounded fancy.

I think it was $3.49 ft^2.... the benefit is there was ZERO floor prep needed. Just tongue-n-groove and it floats, but can be tight to walls and cabinets can go on them unlike other laminates. Being waterproof was also the biggest selling factor.

Here is a PDF the store I bought it from sent me
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-26-2015, 10:13 AM Reply   
Floors finally 100% down

Cabinets / Counters for the wet bar going in ... still needs another coat or two of poly on the counters, plumbing hooked up, and doors/drawers installed

With the fridge in place

....hopefully tonight I can get the bathroom vanity built (Ikea) and hung so the plumber(s) can come back for the last time.

My wife volunteered us to host an engagement party in 2 weeks, so I've got a lot of work to do and fast.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-26-2015, 10:37 AM Reply   
A little side project I finally finished up too was making a MAME arcade table - I have a 24" monitor in an old Ikea coffee table. The better part of 20,000 old video games on the table. It also runs full windows 7, so it will work great for fantasy football stats too.

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-27-2015, 11:04 AM Reply   
Things taking shape:
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-05-2015, 7:14 AM Reply   
Starting the trim .... found some old weathered "barn wood" from a guy in our town .... 10'x6" were $1.50 !!!!! So after I rip them to 3" its only like $.08 /ft !

Also hung a large barn door to cover the hole to the unfinished side of the basement, and the bathroom is starting to come along too.

The light / vent for the bathroom also has built in bluetooth speakers .... figured nice for music during a shower, but the best part is if someone goes into the bathroom I can play fart sounds via bluetooth and embarrass the hell out of them!
Attached Images