Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       10-11-2017, 8:21 AM Reply   
I've been riding a 2009 CWB Transcend and it has been the best board I've owned by far. I've ridden the heck out of it and it is finally falling apart and time for a new one. I picked up a Hyperlite Kruz and so far I don't like the board. While it handles well and landings are soft, I don't get anywhere close to the amount of pop I got with the CWB Transcend. I've had to adjust my riding style on the Kruz to put more weight on my front foot as I hit the wake. This gets me about 80% of the pop I can get on the Transcend but really throws off my balance in the air. I'm thinking this is happening because the Kruz is a continuous rocker and the Transcend was a "subtle 3 stage" rocker. I'm thinking about the Ronix One to replace my brand new Kruz but have head the Ronix One lands very hard and I typically like lots of straight up pop but I still go out into the flats. Anything else I should look at? Do you think I'm not getting the pop I normally get because of the continuous rocker on the Kruz or is my technique somehow off? That said, I've been consistently getting massive pop on my Transcend for the last 7 seasons. I've been wakeboarding for nearly 20 years but I'm by no means an expert.

Last edited by tre; 10-11-2017 at 8:24 AM.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-11-2017, 8:46 AM Reply   
The transcend is slow--super slow. You aren't going to find a board that lets your feel like your are taking a raley cut, but still only go straight up. I would try slowing the boat speed, shortening your rope and bending your knees more.

When the Transcend was designed guys were still riding 25mph at 85ft. Riders today are riding 22 at 75--boards are built around that now.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-11-2017, 1:14 PM Reply   
I'm on the CWB Mode and it's the first continuous board that I've really liked. It's so wide that it kicks like a 3 stage, it's worth trying if you came from a subtle 3 stage. I always promote the try before you buy if it's an option. I tried the Dowdy and that board slapped me around like a beginner, when I hooked it up it was amazing but I struggled so much with getting a consistent pop, I was eating off axis falls for breakfast lunch and dinner.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-11-2017, 5:14 PM Reply   
What you want is ahumanoid with 3” of continuous rocker... why not get both

I’ve actually experienced this. A slow 3 stage board lets you cheat weight over your back foot. You’ll learn to adjust a bit though

Last edited by simplej; 10-11-2017 at 5:17 PM.
Old     (Alby)      Join Date: Oct 2017       10-19-2017, 2:31 PM Reply   
Have a go with the H/L Shaun Murray 2017 (or the 2018, same shape). I had a go 3 weeks ago and...WOW... super soft on landings, huge pop and very forgivable!
See the specs, 3 stage subtle rocker as you've been used, very light!
I'm going to place the order for the 2018 model, still haven't decided if 139 or 144 (I'm 5'8" - 165).
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-20-2017, 7:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
The transcend is slow--super slow. You aren't going to find a board that lets your feel like your are taking a raley cut, but still only go straight up. I would try slowing the boat speed, shortening your rope and bending your knees more.

When the Transcend was designed guys were still riding 25mph at 85ft. Riders today are riding 22 at 75--boards are built around that now.
That is a great point and one I never considered. I would imagine that going back to shorter ropes and slower speeds has impacted board design. That's interesting.

I also used to love the Transcend and I struggled for a while to find another board that made me feel at home.

Try the CWB Reverb. For me it pops like the transcend, while still being fast with little friction on the water. The tip and tail aren't super wide (just like the transcend) and it has the perfect amount of bite with the fins removed. Everyone I know that tries it, ends up riding one. IMO it's by far the best CWB board in the line.

Last edited by jarrod; 10-20-2017 at 7:17 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-21-2017, 11:17 AM Reply   
I’d give the Ronix One, time bomb a try. It’s my favourite board of all time and although I usually land in the flats, I’ve never found the landings hard. The pop and control is superb with this board.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       10-21-2017, 12:32 PM Reply   
Give a strong consideration to the OBrien Rome if you like a 3-stage rocker! Cory T also has a new pro model for 2018 called the Exclusive, and while I like riding a continuous/progressive rocker, I've heard great things about his new shape.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-22-2017, 10:03 AM Reply   

Continuous rocker has no pop??? You make me laugh, man! Was you at this altitude with Transcend?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-24-2017, 10:11 AM Reply   
Totally agree. That deck hasn’t literally zero snap. Sure I know pros go humongous on continuous boards, but it’s al about feel and timing . The kruz really has no snap or kick ( like most continuous boards ). Pick up the Hyperlite Relapse and never look back. I rode a transcend for a long time. Trust me.........Grab a Relapse and enjoy the forgiveness and pop
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-24-2017, 10:59 AM Reply   
I ride a continuous rocker and love the way that it rides. It's super consistent, and that consistency has given me the confidence push much harder off the wake. The result of that has been much more vertical height on my jumps, than before.

Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-24-2017, 11:15 AM Reply   
Unless you can demo boards, good freakin luck. I had a 3/5 stage rocker board and loved the pop, but it was indeed hard on the landings. Got a continuous rocker board and ended up after tweaking my timing at the same height - i won't claim it was higher, maybe it is, maybe it isn't - i don't know, with much softer landings.
Old     (imoore)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-24-2017, 12:25 PM Reply   
I ride the one Timebomb and it is the best board I have ever had! It has a ton of pop especially vertically for extra hangtime. Sometimes it has so much pop that it shoots me into the flats, but it's always a smooth transition back to riding. The construction of the timebomb makes the board glide above the water, more than any other board I've ridden before. I definitely recommend it. If you're near Oregon hit up Active Water Sports. That's where I got my board and they let me demo it before I bought it. If you don't live near there they ship out boards and give you 30 days to try and if you don't like it you can swap it for anything else.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-24-2017, 2:25 PM Reply   
you guys really sound like kooks
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-25-2017, 8:32 AM Reply   
Kooks have more fun...
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       10-25-2017, 3:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
Kooks have more fun...
Spot on
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       07-23-2018, 5:04 PM Reply   
Figured I'd update this thread. I ended up getting a Ronix Darkside and I love it. I never grew to like the Hyperlite Kruz. When I ride the Kruz, I feel like a complete beginner (falling, can't get pop off the wake, constant wipe outs). I picked up the Ronix Darkside and immediately felt at home. Great pop off the wake, nice and stable, handles chop and waves, etc. Love the Darkside. One of these days, I'll list the Kruz on craigslist. That board was a complete bust for me.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-24-2018, 4:50 PM Reply   
It's most likely about the board speed and less about the rocker. When you go from a slow board to a fast board, your timing for the pop is going to be off. It means that board isn't for you. Like the great Joe Umali once said, if you have to get used to a board, it's not for you.

The Dowdy board example mentioned above hits home for me. I tried going from the Reberb (best board ever) to the Dowdy and couldn't even get over the wake. The board drug through the water and I could never get the timing down.

Find a board that rides like the Transcend. I loved the Trancsend and then loved the Reverb. You might try that.