Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Joregon)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-23-2016, 12:16 AM Reply   
I'm new to WW and a soon to be first time boat owner. I'm in Oregon and trying to find a decent winter deal. I've skied for years on a friends 01 ski nautique and I'm ready to buy something for the family. Mainly I'd like to find something that will hold more than 8, in case we invite friends. Since I can always ski on the Nautique, I'd rather have something that is decent for surfing/wakeboarding but can be used for skiing for beginning skiers. Seems like the X9 below would be a good fit. Here are a few of the boats I've looked at online and a few in person. Any opinions anyone has about these boats that are on my shopping list would be greatly appreciated.

Btw, is it me or are boats more expensive in Oregon?

I looked at a 03 Centurion but the seats were beat up and no radio. they were asking $12.5k which seemed too high considering what i'd need to do to fix it up. Also, the interior seemed a bit cramped
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/bod/5839901016.html

I looked at a 99 sanger but it was pretty rough looking (screws popping out of the floorboard) and he was asking $18k. I also didn't like the fact that he said "always garaged" in his ad despite telling me it has been on the water all summer.

I've got my eye on this X9 and want to look at it next week.
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bod/5841790087.html

While browsing around this Moomba also caught my eye but I don't know anything about them. I've never been on one.
http://www.greatwakesmarine.com/prod...b-1d100aa95177

A centurion avalanche about the same price as the moomba:
http://www.greatwakesmarine.com/prod...8-2b2ce381cebf

Ultimately this 2002 X30 looks to be my favorite but it seems to be a bit outside of my price range:
http://www.greatwakesmarine.com/prod...8-fa67a8827dec
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       10-23-2016, 8:40 AM Reply   
As much as I like that era of X-9's I'd say save up a little more and get yourself in the 25-30k budget. It's gonna open up your options tremendously and you won't have to go back to the early 2000's to stay in your price range. I looked a boat at great wakes and will give you my opinion. They buy off Craigslist and/or auctions and flip boats without doing much to them.....passing on the cost to you. Everything seemed to have something needed done.....upholstery repair, hardware broken and missing, and only performed basic cleaning. Once I got to looking beyond the basic cleaning I could tell just how dirty and neglected a couple of boat were when they bought them. If they would have invested a few dollars and some time into the boat I was looking at it would have been sold.....because I wouldn't have seen all the little things wrong/dirty and become suspicious. They also didn't even offer to fix any of the small stuff I found after driving 4 hours with 35K to hand them waiting in my truck. Not saying they're a bad business....just saying they don't invest anything into the boats they buy. You can buy the same thing off Craigslist they do......for much cheaper.

Be willing to travel. I've found all my stuff between Portland and Sacramento. If you can up your budget a bit you can get into a 05-07 V drive that'll still be in great shape. Someone's not gonna want it in their garage all winter and will have it priced to sell. Hit the sites every day....you'll find something.

Brian
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       10-23-2016, 8:56 AM Reply   
A little newer. Big enough to fit your family but small enough to maybe ski behind without a big wave. Just a quick example from one minute of searching.

https://boise.craigslist.org/bod/5739172396.html

Plenty big.....skiing will suck LOL.

https://bend.craigslist.org/boa/5778915328.html

Last edited by bstroop; 10-23-2016 at 9:00 AM.
Old     (Joregon)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-23-2016, 9:27 AM Reply   
Brian, thanks for the thoughtful reply! I hadn't thought of looking at Boise. good idea. Thanks for the advice about Great Wakes. Are you in the Portland area? It is winter time so I can afford to be patient. I've looked at that centurion you linked but a friend of mine is a bit down on centurion's. He's claiming that they aren't that well built. I have no idea actually.
Old     (Shane10p)      Join Date: Jul 2013       10-23-2016, 11:47 AM Reply   
Hey John , congrats on the hunt for a boat ! I have a really clean Malibu VLX with some nice upgrades. It also has the diamond hull and big motor so will still ski pretty decent. We actually sold Brian his current VLX he has so hopefully he has good things to say about us . Give me a buzz with any questions.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/boa/5842645554.html
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       10-23-2016, 3:29 PM Reply   
I'm down south in Klamath Falls John. I did buy my VLX from Shane and everything was great and I wouldn't hesitate to again. I actually just passed on one of his boats to a buddy of mine.....unfortunately it was black and that was the only stipulation his wife put out there LOL.
Old     (PotatoShack)      Join Date: Aug 2013       10-24-2016, 6:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstroop View Post
I'm down south in Klamath Falls John. I did buy my VLX from Shane and everything was great and I wouldn't hesitate to again. I actually just passed on one of his boats to a buddy of mine.....unfortunately it was black and that was the only stipulation his wife put out there LOL.

What lakes do y'all ride on around Klamith Falls? My wife and I were up there this summer and didn't see one boat on Klamith lake.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       10-24-2016, 7:22 AM Reply   
I'd be looking for a Vdrive if your going to have 8 passengers often. No offense to anyone but it would have to be a Vdrive with wrap around seating . Also something to remember is the level of skier your going to be pulling . If the skiers are novice level and are the type that wanna get up for a few minutes just prove they still can I wouldn't put much emphasis on the boat being being really great at skiing . Good luck in your search i hope you have many fun summers in whatever you pick .
Old     (Joregon)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-24-2016, 7:30 AM Reply   
Rick, I'm going back and forth on the DD vs VD but I'm definitely leaning towards VDrive. Most people who I'll take out will be novice for sure. I just wish more people would list their awesome boat for an awesome price for me to buy.

I see lots of Centurion's out there in my price range but I seem to like the MasterCraft boats a bit better. Maybe its just marketing thats pulling me that direction. There seems to be too many different types of boats for me to figure out what the differences are between each.

Thanks for your input!
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-24-2016, 7:43 AM Reply   
Centurion is your boat if you want to surf. You should be looking for a avalanche with c4 seating. You seriously need to go look at some of the boats you like in person. Not sure why anyone would tell you centurion is not well built. The older ones do not have the nicest vinyl but the boat is built like a tank.
Old     (Joregon)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-24-2016, 8:33 AM Reply   
Harold, I've looked at a few but I haven't fallen in love with anything yet. I do like the seating arrangement of the avalanche c4. I like the looks of this one except for the swim step and no PP: http://corvallis.craigslist.org/boa/5811924504.html

edit: or this one: http://bend.craigslist.org/boa/5778915328.html

Last edited by Joregon; 10-24-2016 at 8:35 AM.
Old     (tweeder)      Join Date: Aug 2015       10-24-2016, 9:57 AM Reply   
Why not expand your search to the Bay Area and Sacramento area of California? There are a lot of boats out there. As someone else said uping the budget to 25k would do wonders. But I can find some good examples in CA.

You can get an early 2000's Sanger V-210 for under 20, they're on CL. That would be the top of my list for your wants. But check out all the major brands out there, you will find something out there.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/boa/5826514563.html

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/5835629289.html (my favorite)

Last edited by tweeder; 10-24-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old     (Joregon)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-24-2016, 10:43 AM Reply   
I could expand to CA but I'm unsure how to do that logistically. Can I hire someone to check it out mechanically? I'm not sure how I would go about that. Is that common?
Old     (tweeder)      Join Date: Aug 2015       10-24-2016, 10:51 AM Reply   
Its pretty common practice when buying any used vehicle to have a reputable shop/dealer give it a pre-purchase inspection before buying. Also make sure the owner is willing to do that and a lake test/demo before even making the trip. With boats it is a lot more common for people to travel to find the right boat. There are a lot of guys here that have done that and probably could give you a few pointers on what to do/look for.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-24-2016, 11:04 AM Reply   
What side do you want to surf the avalanche in bend has the walk through transom so it will be harder to set up for goofy than regular. The avalanche when weighted properly will produce a pro level wake. As for the swim platform that is easily changed out for a newer fiberglass platform. I would also agree with the above statement about sanger both will out surf any of the others you have listed. I'm sure you will find once you start surfing like many others have found out it is all you will do for the most part so my recommendation would be to buy the best surf boat you can afford as it will save you in the long run having to upgrade boats again.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-24-2016, 11:12 AM Reply   
Pic of the wake behind my friends avalanche
Attached Images

Old     (Joregon)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-24-2016, 11:19 AM Reply   
That looks pretty bad-ass! Great picture angle! I'm not goofy so that would work for me. My ski buddy, however... well he can learn to be ambidextrous. I agree with you that we rarely wakeboard anymore. My kids will but surfing is pretty much what we do with the big kids.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-24-2016, 11:40 AM Reply   
As you can see it is a avalanche with the walk through if surfing regular is what you will do most the avalanche in bend would be worth a look or this one up here in Portland
http://www.onlyinboards.com/2005-Cen...gon-60830.aspx
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-24-2016, 11:40 AM Reply   
These guys are in Oregon too. http://www.nwboatsports.com/
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-24-2016, 11:46 AM Reply   
The pic I posted was taken by Robert Garcia of wake 9 at the west coast open running beside us in a chase boat so not a funny angle to make the wake look bigger than it is. All the avalanche needs is a enzo sack and boom you are surfing. The one in Bend already has a FAE installed so no fumes an no engine noise.
Old     (Joregon)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-24-2016, 11:47 AM Reply   
Harold, is that your avalanche? Would it be worth skiing on at all? I know it wouldn't have a course wake but for open water short line how would the wake be?

Edit, just saw your reply. What is FAE?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-24-2016, 11:49 AM Reply   
Dave NWBS is my dealer and I would have recommend them above all other if they had a good surf boat in the op's price range. I love those guys and have bought 2 boats form them so far.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-24-2016, 11:58 AM Reply   
No it is not my avalanche.we have a 16 Supreme S238 but it is being offered by one of our local guy's He is a regular on this sight AKA digs he is a stand up guy and is a wholesale dealer. He has been around this sight for years and I'm sure others here will say the same thing about him.as for skiing recreational yes but don't expect to be running a course. Centurion is a deep v boat so the wake will be on the large side but you will appreciate how smoth it rides in rough water
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-24-2016, 12:05 PM Reply   
FAE
http://www.freshairexhaust.com
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       10-24-2016, 12:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoShack View Post
What lakes do y'all ride on around Klamith Falls? My wife and I were up there this summer and didn't see one boat on Klamith lake.
Klamath lake is useless unless you're fishing. Shallow and full of algae in the summer.

We hit: Willow Lake, Lake of the Woods, Howard Prarie, and a little spot called Topsey Reservoir.

Shasta is still the favorite on a long weekend.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-24-2016, 1:56 PM Reply   
Harold - Thanks for sharing and the kind words.

John - I think you spoke to Shane about this already. If you are interested in taking a look, it is in my garage in Tigard. The plan was to hold this until next Spring and get $30k plus out of it, but I am closing on a house and need to free up some change so a good time if you are looking for a deal.
Old     (Joregon)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-24-2016, 2:02 PM Reply   
Diggs, I guess you and Shane work together? If it isn't too much trouble I'd like to take a look in a few days.... May have to wait until the weekend depending on my schedule. Shane has my number. Feel free to send me a text and I'll reply.
Old     (Kwclark)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-24-2016, 2:21 PM Reply   
That is a nice boat but no more than 18k. Once you cross 20k you are in Vdrive price range. You will need 3500 pounds of fat sacs and a cheepazzwakegate to surf that direct drive. The backseat must be removed and a 1100 pound fat sac will go there. 800 pounds on each side of the dog house and 800 in the nose. Pretty much leaves you no room for passengers. If you skimp on the weight your wave will suck. Any vdrive made will make a better wave and you will keep all your seating. hope this helps.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-24-2016, 2:26 PM Reply   
You are welcome Bro. It is a great first surf boat and the wake behind the avalanche is still hard to beat with a newer surf boat. I surf a 05 avalanche on the regular and love the wake it throws. On a side note does a sale come with beer and wings?LOL
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-24-2016, 6:59 PM Reply   
I live up near Seattle and I had the same issue as you trying to find a decent used boat. Either they are way overpriced and sit on craigslist for a year or they're priced reasonably and you have to show up the day it gets listed. Which is possible, just be patient. I wasn't patient enough and ended up buying a new boat. But anyway I also recommend staying away from great wakes marine. I was interested in a couple of boats they had but they took forever to call me back and when they did they stated that they do not allow test drives no matter what but that I was free to have it inspected by a shop. But they couldn't put it in the water. Gimme a break!
Old     (Joregon)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-24-2016, 9:16 PM Reply   
wouldn't let you put it in the water? That sounds like they don't have any confidence in their inventory. Or maybe they are too lazy. either case it sounds pretty rude. I did email them about one and they were fairly responsive. I'd rather buy locally though.

Thanks for the encouragement. I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into before I get something. Its a big purchase for me. I don't want to screw it up.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       10-25-2016, 6:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joregon View Post
Rick, I'm going back and forth on the DD vs VD but I'm definitely leaning towards VDrive. Most people who I'll take out will be novice for sure. I just wish more people would list their awesome boat for an awesome price for me to buy.

I see lots of Centurion's out there in my price range but I seem to like the MasterCraft boats a bit better. Maybe its just marketing thats pulling me that direction. There seems to be too many different types of boats for me to figure out what the differences are between each.

Thanks for your input!

I hope what I said didn't make it harder to decide lol But in all honesty I think I would rule out a direct drive and stick to Vdrive only especially if you ever plan to surf . The one Avalanche you posted with the weird swim deck looked very nice to me but I haven't been following the prices of them . I have to say a good friend of mine has an Avalanche and its been an excellent for him . I'm happy with my little Sanger V210 but I'm doing more cruising then anything these days . I have to say I think my boat rides better in the chop .
Old     (Joregon)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-25-2016, 6:57 AM Reply   
Rick, don't worry about your comments... I'm plenty overwhelmed already! I have tons of questions. One thing I haven't asked yet is the difference in gas use in the different boats. I read that the wider boats use more. Specifically, I'm wondering how the Avalanche does on gas. I looked at one last night (Diggs' boat) and it was pretty cool. I'm already wanting to de-winterize and get out on the water.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-25-2016, 7:27 AM Reply   
John the avalanche does ok on gas about 5 GPH when surfing.. For surfing you run listed so not as bad as a boat evenly weighted with twice the ballast and a suck gate stuck to the side. If you do decide to go with digs boat reach out to me. I have a couple leftover enzo style sacks and would be happy to give you one to get you started. The one I have is only 1300 LBS but will get you surfing for sure.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-25-2016, 7:29 AM Reply   
Also if you would like other opinions on centurion or more info on the avalanche head over to centurioncrew.com
Old     (Joregon)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-25-2016, 7:33 AM Reply   
Thanks Harold! I'll take you up on that if I go that direction. I'm hoping to have something purchased within a month. Money burning a hole in my pocket apparently.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-25-2016, 7:47 AM Reply   
Now is a good time to buy it will give you enough time to set the boat up the way you want and add some upgrades to make whatever you buy work better for you.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-25-2016, 9:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
No it is not my avalanche.we have a 16 Supreme S238 but it is being offered by one of our local guy's He is a regular on this sight AKA digs he is a stand up guy and is a wholesale dealer. He has been around this sight for years and I'm sure others here will say the same thing about him.as for skiing recreational yes but don't expect to be running a course. Centurion is a deep v boat so the wake will be on the large side but you will appreciate how smoth it rides in rough water
Tyler (Diggs) and Shane are both legit. We bought our tow rig (2013 F150 Ecoboost) from Tyler and would absolutely buy from him again. Yeah, officially he's a "dealer" but really he's a solid guy that has a partner that finds good deals on boats/cars/trucks and passes those on to their customers. they don't work in big margins and from what I've seen they won't even touch something unless it's clean and in excellent shape.

Tyler's the man.
Old     (Joregon)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-25-2016, 9:27 AM Reply   
Trayson, I recently bought a 2014 Explorer sport (with Ecoboost). Its the same engine isn't it (twin turbo)? How does it pull? I have yet to tow anything with mine but it seems that the only thing it won't pass is a gas station.

I've spoke with both Tyler and Shane in person and they both seem like stand-up guys. I'd feel comfortable working with them to buy a boat even though I haven't yet.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-25-2016, 9:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Trayson, I recently bought a 2014 Explorer sport (with Ecoboost). Its the same engine isn't it (twin turbo)? How does it pull? I have yet to tow anything with mine but it seems that the only thing it won't pass is a gas station.

I've spoke with both Tyler and Shane in person and they both seem like stand-up guys. I'd feel comfortable working with them to buy a boat even though I haven't yet.
The engine is strong. I can pull any of the mountain passes between PDX and Madras at 65 without going over 3500 RPM's. yeah, plenty of power with the Ecoboost. But like a friend told me: it's EITHER Eco OR boost, not both! We get pretty low MPG, but we've also got 20" wheels with 35" tires and a 6" lift. so MPG isn't really our biggest benefit. LOL.

The truck pulls great. I've had to do a couple panic stops in downtown Portland traffic, and it did what it needed. We upgraded from a 2009 Ridgeline that just wasn't up to the task of our 23' boat that weighs in at 6,250 pounds with the trailer. So overall we're quite happy. When we look at the gas costs in the grand scheme of things, the extra $500 to $1000 a year isn't a deal breaker for us. It's the wife's daily and she doesn't put that many miles on per year.

Old     (Joregon)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-25-2016, 9:58 AM Reply   
Looks nice! My tow capacity is 5,000 pounds, probably suspension related? I'll post a picture of my rig after I get a boat. I can't wait!
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-25-2016, 10:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Looks nice! My tow capacity is 5,000 pounds, probably suspension related? I'll post a picture of my rig after I get a boat. I can't wait!
I'd imagine suspension/wheelbase. Kind of like how a jeep Cherokee can be rated for 5000 but a wrangler with basically the same drivetrain is 2000 (or 3500 for the unlimited). That's all about wheelbase.
Old     (Joregon)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-25-2016, 11:06 AM Reply   
I wonder, will if I'll have issues if I use my 2014 Explorer to tow an Avalanche with a bunch of gear?
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-25-2016, 11:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
I wonder, will if I'll have issues if I use my 2014 Explorer to tow an Avalanche with a bunch of gear?
Chat with Tyler. He knows those rigs and of course the boat in question. He'd be a good resource.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-25-2016, 11:36 AM Reply   
Hey guys... Thanks Trayson. Yeah that motor will pull the heck out of any boat. Same motor as the F150 and a lighter rig. The boat is bigger than the Explorer though so I would tow with caution when you are taking big trips or mountain passes. Motor will do it and it is rated for it. Just don't get over confident with it.
Old     (Joregon)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-25-2016, 1:56 PM Reply   
Good to hear. My wife would kill me if we got rid of her new rig. I'll definitely be cautious.
Old     (Joregon)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-27-2016, 6:42 AM Reply   
I was curious if anyone had an opinion on the Centurion Air Warrior Elite C4? Seems like there are more Avalanche's out there. I don't even know the difference between the two? I did look at an X9 yesterday and the price was nice but I really would like the V-Drive configuration.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-27-2016, 7:14 AM Reply   
I believe the main difference is the length. I believe the air warrior is 21' boat and the Avalanche is 22'. The other difference will probably be having a walkthrough on the side of the motor. I will drop you a line this afternoon if the current sale on the Avalanche falls through.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-27-2016, 8:29 AM Reply   
Yes diggs you are correct it is 21 feet and 92 inch beam which is the width of the boat. The avalanche is 22 feet and 100 inch beam. The elite is just a mini avalanche
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-27-2016, 8:31 AM Reply   
As for the walk through the avalanche with out one will have a C4 designation
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-27-2016, 8:33 AM Reply   
Less boat equals less wake.if surfing is what you want to do the avalanche is what you want in your price range.
Old     (Joregon)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-27-2016, 9:14 AM Reply   
I knew that about the "C4" designation but not about the length/width. Thanks for the info! With that difference in size, would you expect the elite to drink less fuel or would it even be noticeable?

We will be doing a little bit of everything actually.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-27-2016, 9:20 AM Reply   
Not sure fuel consumption will be noticeable what you will notice is interior space the elite is small
Old     (Gavin17)      Join Date: Nov 2015       12-04-2016, 1:36 PM Reply   
Did you find a boat?

I was in your shoes 1 year ago and ended up w/ a great boat. Keep looking.

I don't think I'd worry too much about the ski wake if you want to take a crew of 12 or the fuel consumption. All wake boats drink fuel and you can recreationally ski almost anything. I ski my 23 LSV (wake hull) all the time. I wouldn't run it thru the course but like you I have access to slalom tugs for that.
Old     (Joregon)      Join Date: Oct 2016       12-04-2016, 2:01 PM Reply   
I did. I should have posted a follow-up message. I got a 2004 centurion elite. Seems like the best size for me and my family (and my garage). it's in pretty good shape but there's a few things that I don't know such as where to buy OEM parts.... Or reasonable replacement parts. Regardless, I'm pretty excited about it.