Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (wakeboy01)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-21-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
Does anyone have any feedback on these boats? Anyone own one? Mechanically sound? Wake size? Etc.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-21-2009, 10:16 AM Reply   
Any used boat can be abused or treated right, as well as most boats share components such engines, transmissions, V-drives, stereos, gauges, etc. To answer you question, a Tige can be a very solid, mechanically sound boat.

Wake size: what's your intended use, surfing, boarding, skiing, tubing? That hull was pretty much a ski hull, but Ive heard they're not too bad for boarding with some weight, but the quality of the wake really comes down to the perspective buyer's expectation.

Post up on www.tigeowners.com, there are a few peeps with that boat and could probably answer your specific questions about the wake.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-21-2009, 10:23 AM Reply   
Tiges were one of the last to go over to fiberglass stringers and I stayed away from the older ones for that reason. People have different opinions on wood construction though.
Old     (wakeboy01)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-21-2009, 11:01 AM Reply   
AtTheLake do you know what year they transferred from wood to fiberglass for future reference?

TigeMike primarily wakeboarding but I do slalomn maybe 2 times a year. Good to know the hull was a ski hull. I'll probably shy away from it then.

Thanks for the info guys
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-21-2009, 12:00 PM Reply   
Just think of where we wood be today if Christopher Columbus had wood stringers in his boat, he might have made it to India as he intended

I'll take a boat with wood stringers over one with bolted down seat boxes and screwed in windshields or one that the hull and deck are screwed together under the rubrail like a couple are still doing $.02.

If you're looking for boats of that age because of budget, they all had wood and the hulls were pretty much a ski hull design.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-21-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
Back in '97, Centurion stringers were no wood, and beleive MC, BUs, and Nautis did not have wood stringers either, but will let others chime in to keep me honest. Not exactly sure when Tiges switched over, but it was after 00.

Like I said, there are different opinions on wood, but will say that glass/composite stringers are standard in all inboards today and will just leave it at that.
Old     (wakeboy01)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-21-2009, 12:36 PM Reply   
Well I'm new to the market. Always wakeboarded behind a 1999 19'6" mastercraft. It had a soft wake but served the purpose. So I'm getting feedback on the different types of boats I'm coming across in that budget.

If I'm going to spend $10k-$15k I don't want to have to replace the stringers on top of that.

I've read a little bit about Tige and have heard mixed reviews. I think the best thing in my budget right now is an Air Nautique...

I appreciate the feedback guys
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-21-2009, 12:44 PM Reply   
So, why did manufactures move away from wood?
Old     (wakeboy01)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-21-2009, 1:34 PM Reply   
If the boat wasn't maintained decent the wood stringers could rot and cause all kinds of problems if that's what you are asking about
Old     (shepsigkap)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-21-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
We have a 98 Tige PRE 2100wt and I'm a big fan!! I still ski - even though it usually only once in the morning if I find perfect water - and wakeboard along with everyone else. We are all begining to intermediate wakeboarders so the wake with a sac under the rear seat works for us. It doesn't compare to a V-drive wakeboard boat though. They are designed for different purposes though. As far as versatility it is perfect for us!

Our next boat will most likely be a new Tige 22i when the time comes. I prefer the handling of a direct drive boat over a V-drive - and of course I still won't give up my ski :-)

Tige makes a great combo boat but if you're looking for a pure wakeboarding and wake surfing boat I wouldn't go with the 97 Tige you're looking at. My $.02