Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (BlondeDragon)      Join Date: Mar 2014       02-25-2015, 4:29 PM Reply   
A while back I posted a question asking about good knee braces for wakeboarding. My knee injury is not as bad anymore and I'm thinking, at least at the moment I don't need to worry about spending tons of money on a brace. My knee is getting stronger so it feels a lot better. I saw somewhere that KT tape works great for giving a bit of extra support and I was wondering if anyone had tried using it before. I think that something like that may prevent another injury (if put on properly) without having a big brace. If anyone has used this or a similar product I would like some input if it's worth trying. I don't get to go wakeboarding until May due to weather so I have even more time to strengthen my knee as well. I was just wondering for future reference.
Thank you
-Onnie
Old     (Therapy10)      Join Date: Oct 2011       02-25-2015, 4:57 PM Reply   
I use kinesiotape often (physical therapist) and think it helps with certain types of knee pain but is far far far from supportive or preventative of common knee injuries while riding. Buy it if it helps reduce pain while riding but not for prevention.
Old     (BlondeDragon)      Join Date: Mar 2014       02-25-2015, 6:06 PM Reply   
That's good to know, thank you
Old     (clutchind)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-27-2015, 5:15 AM Reply   
KT tape works to help stabilize but if you have leg hair it's not the most comfortable product to remove. I have deteriorating cartilage in both my knees and have used custom CTI braces in the past to help distribute impact. They work excellently but are bulky, a pain to have lying around the boat, and a pain to travel with due to the room they take up in luggage.

Recently stumbled across Enerskin products that combine compression with Silicone tape. I haven't had the opportunity to wakeboard in them yet but have used them at the gym and snowboarding and I feel it's the perfect medium between full knee braces and KT Tape. It's more supportive than KT Tape yet lighter, more maneuverable, and more space saving than traditional knee braces.

http://www.enerskinamerica.com/shopmens/?category=Men