Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-16-2014, 6:59 PM Reply   
Non endangerd BUT protected birds are nesting under the Old bay brigde that they are trying to tear down. The state says they are gonna have to spend 30 million to speed up the demolition so that these dumb ass birds won't nest "in Febuary" below the bridge that they are tearing down.

All I can say is What a waste of $ when you see this kind of crap and wonder why the city's or state can never balance a budget.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...on-cormorants/
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-16-2014, 8:44 PM Reply   
It's a waste of money when we build high rise bridges down on 70 at the coast where no one goes. It's a waste of money whenever the state does anything. My he 30 is undoubtedly outrageous, but I don't understand how people bitch about youth playing video games and not getting outside while simultaneously not giving a damn about everything outside enough to take a little responsibility and deal with all the crap we do to this land we think is so amazing. Always need some **** to complain about.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-17-2014, 7:35 AM Reply   
I know a guy that builds bridges around this area. He was telling me about the bird problem around here and if they get delayed on a project and these birds come in and nest under a bridge they are repairing, it screws the whole project up because they can not disturb them. I always thought when you see those big plastic tarps hanging below bridges under construction it was for the benefit of the employees. Its actually to keep the birds out.
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-18-2014, 12:36 PM Reply   
Years ago the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk was wanting to install a new tower drop ride that exceeded the height restriction of the area and appealed to the City Council. The opponents were arguing that birds would fly into the tower. One of my favorite rebuttal quotes came from a site engineer:

"We are confident that successful bird species will be able to avoid colliding with the tower"

The ride is in place today.

Last edited by Shawn; 11-18-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       11-18-2014, 1:35 PM Reply   
You should be happy. That's 30M that won't go to the illegals.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-18-2014, 2:37 PM Reply   
Although I'm not a big proponent of handing out money to human trash. But my first thought was $30 million could go a long way in helping out homeless people in San Francisco rather then relocating some birds. Another example of animal needs outweighing human needs. I understand the ecosystem is a balancing act but come on