Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-29-2009, 4:41 PM Reply   
Upgrading from the Sea Ray at long last and have some questions
How's the wake?
Did these come with ballast from the factory?
Any wake pictures?
Anything else we should know?
Thanks!
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-29-2009, 5:17 PM Reply   
lets see some pictures
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-29-2009, 5:17 PM Reply   
Post up on www.tigeowners.com , there are a few peeps that own those. Is it a direct-drive or V-drive?

They did offer ballast as an option, so it depends on whether the original owner/dealer ordered it or not. If it doesnt have ballast, no big deal, get some sacs and a pump and roll with it.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-29-2009, 7:36 PM Reply   
So much has changed since that boat was made.Even if it did have ballast I would remove it and install a more modern setup.Same goes for the prop if someone hasn't already changed it.
Old     (saltare_inverts)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-29-2009, 7:57 PM Reply   
If it is a vdrive the wake is meaty and not too wide. Very big wake with ballast. I do remeber the tower being a bit loose and some rattling. I think that would be a easy fix though. Other then that it was great to ride behind and drive. It will be worlds better than the Sea Gay, oops I mean Sea Ray.
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-29-2009, 8:01 PM Reply   
did they make a direct drive riders?
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-29-2009, 8:05 PM Reply   
dhtige,I think the riders was just a option package based around wakeboarding.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-29-2009, 8:13 PM Reply   
Im gonna take that back.In 99 and 02(the year of my boat)the riders was the wakeboard version of the 21v or 23v.The ltd was the cruiser version.
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-30-2009, 6:37 AM Reply   
my 22i came with a tower on it, and taps. 99
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-30-2009, 6:52 AM Reply   
My buddy bought one of those new in 1999. It was a great boat. Its a Riders Edition 21v wakeboard specific boat. There was the Riders Edition and then a special edition Fox Riders Edition in 2000 I believe.

It was kinda heavy which gave it a decent wake. They came with no ballast just TAPS. His tower wasn't too bad, but Tige did go through several tower changes on that model from 99-02. I forget what prop he had, but it did have a decent holeshot, but that Tige was one of the fastest v-drives I've been in. It had a snap in carpet and everything inside was glassed. A very solid boat, IMO. In that year 99, I believe that was one of the best wakeboard specific boats on the market.

I believe I have some pictures of the wake on another computer and can post up if you need them.

My buddy just sold his last summer and he already misses it. He got an MC CSX and loves it for diving, but not so much for everything else.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-30-2009, 6:59 AM Reply   
Yes, it's a V-drive. Got a 350 Merc for 315 HP. Looks like it's in great shape. We're picking it up either this or next weekend, whenever the dealer gets done with the work he's doing to it (hinges on engine compartment, things like that) It shouldn't take them long.
Here's some pics - I'll get more when we go get her and take some of the wake, stock and loaded.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-30-2009, 7:01 AM Reply   
OH - and as for the prop, I have no idea what it has, but here's a pic from the rear, you can see a bit of it, but I can't make out much, maybe one of you guys can
Upload
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-30-2009, 7:04 AM Reply   
Wow very clean! I will say that Tige is the best riding boat I have ever been in. Also I am jealous of the swivel seat. I have an 02 X star and would kill for a swivel seat funny how Tige was doing that in 99 and MC still did not have it. Tige is a great boat get on the tige owners site. Some of the best guys and they know a lot.
Old     (soonerwake85)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-30-2009, 9:21 AM Reply   
Darin, I have a 2000 tige riders and have had a blast with this boat. I dont believe they come with stock ballast becuase mine had an aftermarket pump and ballast set up when i bought it. Perfect pass works great and the taps plate makes it easy to tweak the wake with more weight in the boat. Holds 10 people comfortably, I think the max capacity is 12. The only draw back is the tower. Very loose and some rattling. Other than that it has been a great boat. I have put 300 hrs on her since May 07.
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-30-2009, 9:44 AM Reply   
Darin,

That is the same color scheme as by buddies old boat. Looks clean. Congrats!
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-30-2009, 12:45 PM Reply   
Thanks!
Working out the details right now, crossing my fingers it all plays out how we want it to!
Old     (lakelife)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-30-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
oh yeah, i saw that boat when i was looking around a few weeks ago! looks to be in awesome shape, and i like the classic white look...

good luck with the purchase Darin
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-30-2009, 6:52 PM Reply   
Thats a great boat. Congrats. We had a 2000 model same boat. Tower is going to wobble a little and we added perfect pass to ours but all in a great boat with a pretty good wake!
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       05-02-2009, 4:03 PM Reply   
That tower is a metcraft and yes it will wobble but not to worry when it breaks metcraft is real good about fixing it for you at low to no cost if their still in biz
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-02-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
that is a great looking boat.You will love it!Yes the tower is the con in this year just make sure you check the bolts often.They loosen up and thats when the things start to break.So make sure you inspect it regular for tightness and look for stress cracks in welds.Get over on Tigeowners.com there are some guys over there they made mods to fix the weak points that might be worth doing.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-03-2009, 12:50 PM Reply   
** EDIT ** Nevermind.

Didn't realize this was already purchased. My strong 'avoid' themed comments don't matter. I don't understand the point of posting 'What do you think of this boat' questions after a purchase has been made. More help & direction can be provided before a purchase decision has been made. Best of luck with your boat.

(Message edited by boomshot on May 03, 2009)
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-03-2009, 1:28 PM Reply   
They are pretty well built boats and ride great in rough water. The factory vinyl was thin didn't wear very well, but that one has probably been reskinned by now considering the great condition it looks to be in. Wakeboard wake is enormous, but hard to keep clean due to the spray pockets. Surf wake will be great. Easy to dip the nose if you're heavy in front, which you will need to be to keep the wake clean.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-03-2009, 2:15 PM Reply   
Hay The Truth,

Your BS "stay away from every Tige made" crap doesn't matter anyway! Your the only one that enjoys reading it. Besides, he was asking advise from people who ACTUALLY know something about the boat
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-03-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
^^ What Tige Mike Said- BTW TRUTH- Your profile is complete Horse-S**t Great attitude-best place for you might be under a rock at the bottom of a lake....
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-04-2009, 7:19 AM Reply   
Nice boat.

The tower is crap. Be sure to loosen the lower bolts a little when you lower it. I did not and it finally weakened the bolt head on mine and it snapped while I was on the water. I eventually replaced my tower with a 2005 Tige Tower (the fit was not perfect, but got a smoking deal on it).

I run 400 in each locker and 400 upfront. Could use a little more upfront, just have not got around to it. Wake is nice around 23, taps on 5-6. Only down side is goind around 17-18, wake is pretty washed out for my kids (not a flame, but I have been in other boats that were clean all the way down to 15).

Overall, I really like my Tige (have 2001 21v). It has been solid and provded my hours of enjoyment, hopefully your new boat does the same for you.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-04-2009, 8:13 AM Reply   
Seems like Tige needs a bit more weight up front than most other boats or at least what I have seen on Tige owners and here. More like 60% up front and 40% in back. You should be able to get good feed back on Tigeowners
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-04-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
Thanks everybody.
Would the Pro X integrated bow sac work in this, or would you just throw a sac in the walkway?

Keith - With the 400's in the lockers, how much storage space is there left back there?
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-04-2009, 10:11 AM Reply   
I run the integrated sac and a 500 in the walkway.Much more than that and the wake will get crushed.
Old     (wakesurfer08)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-04-2009, 12:03 PM Reply   
Darin,
Lets just go big and put 750's in the rear,integrated up front,another 400 in walk way and 400 about in the center!!!!!

Just kidding! But I did find you a good looking machine,You do have to admit..!
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-04-2009, 12:08 PM Reply   
With the bags filled, there is still room for vests, deflated 3 person tube, etc. Just going of memory, it comes up about halfway in height on the storage.

I have contemplated the integrated sack up front, but you will not be able to fill it all the way. I will have to check, but I think I was told it would get 1/2 to 3/4 full (weight wise it was fine). I have thrown a sack in the wall way, but that is typically where I sit my cooler so I do not fill it that often.

Word of advide if you weight it down much, take off with TAPS at 1, then set TAPS to you preferred level once you get on plane.
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-04-2009, 12:15 PM Reply   
Surf pic and wake pic (wake pic not the greatest, but can give you an idea)
Upload
Upload
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-04-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
Jeff - Yes, yes you did.
Keith - Thanks a lot, Not sure what exactly we'll be looking to do yet, I just want to have a good idea before I start ordering bags. In your surf pic, did you just dump the port side and run the norm otherwise, or did you throw a 500 on/under the seat to get it looking like that?
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-04-2009, 2:26 PM Reply   
We had 5-6 guys over there and the port was empty. To be honest, I can not remember if we had a 500 on the floor over there too. That was probably the best I have got out of the boat, can not remember the set up.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-05-2009, 7:13 AM Reply   
Planning to pick it up Thurs. Will post pics!
Old     (waketac)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-05-2009, 8:10 AM Reply   
We had one of these until last year when we changed to a 2007 X-Star.
With ballast the wake is on my Top5-wakes for sure. MAke sure to put a lot in the front and the middle. Skilocker in the middle is nice for a sack also.
Without ballast anything is pretty small but it was still pretty ridebale.

By the way, the tower is really flexing a lot side to side but our's did hold up really well and the flexing side to side wasn't really disturbing while riding.
Also a good surfwake portside with a big fatsack on the portside.
We put over 2.000 hrs on it from 2001 until 2008. With a lot of weight (somewhere around 2.700 lbs) we had some problems with the V-Drive. We had to rebuild it once.
Still a really good boat, nice wake, a lot of space, and usually pretty cheap to get.

(Message edited by waketac on May 05, 2009)
Old     (gordo)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-05-2009, 9:21 AM Reply   
We have owned this fine craft since new in '99. Usually people do not name Wake boats. I did after my kids. I named it "Jesse James". After 10 years and 700 hours of common ground between parents and kids, all I can say is what a great boat. We don't have speed control because we all learned how to drive properly, by feel. The wake is not huge unless you load up. We use a combination of water jugs and weight lifting gear(plates and dumb bells).

Upload
Old     (knelems)      Join Date: May 2002       05-05-2009, 10:38 AM Reply   
Hi Keith, Your sun pad looks like the same color 21V riders we just traded in,Pacific Blue/Yellow trim on white.
Old     (gordo)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-05-2009, 10:41 AM Reply   
Here is the wake not loaded up, just Taps and a few 5 gal. water jugs and some 45 lb. plates up front.Upload
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-05-2009, 7:28 PM Reply   
Here are a couple pics of our wake in a 2000 21V. Only had a few people and a 600 lbs sack in the floor between the rear seatsUpload
Upload
Old     (wakesurfer08)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-07-2009, 8:11 PM Reply   
Darin,
Thanks for the ride in the new boat,Gavin and I had a blast! The boat is in awesome condition..So post up the pic's from tonight. Oh and Gavins finger is just fine,he is bending it and no major damage.LOL Thanks again!
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-07-2009, 11:39 PM Reply   
I agree with tampa %60 front %40 rear.

I have a '98 tige 22v, so its not the same hull... however. i have about 1200 in the rear (840 of lead in the rear lockers, a 400 bag under the floor just infront of the transmission) and then 1300 in the bow (2 450's under the seats and 400 of lead in the nose).

#2500's with 4 people and a full tank is about all she can handle. I did reprop her and I ride 24 mph at 80.

it is NO "bonecrusher" nor does it compare to a loaded VLX, but I get compliments on the wake from everyone who rides it.

Good luck, and have fun.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-08-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
No problem Jeff, just make sure to clear a spot for her in the garage after Memorial day! Glad to hear the finger is OK!

My pics didn't turn out for crap last night, but I'll try and get some of the other ones taken this weekend and post them up.

Thanks for the advice John. Looking to get some 400's for the back, put one in the walkway, then one across the front seats if we really want to get after it. Probably won't sac it out too often as I really liked the un-weighted wake last night believe it or not.

I think she's been re-propped, it has an OJ 14x13 on it, is this good, or should we look at something else? Seemed to have great hole shot, but then again, we didn't have any weight in it either
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-08-2009, 1:03 PM Reply   
I put 400 on each side of the engine- plenty of room left for stuff- and 600 in the walk. The wake is rock solid and boots you really well. Running taps at 4-5 and Perfect pass at 23. Surfing- 800 on one side, Taps at 6-7 Perfect pass at 11.7 - VERY nice surf wake. I have te original tower and it's been fine- I loosen the bolts when lowering and raising and also carry an extra with me- I did break one 3 years ago, but the tower itsefl has been great. Very solid boat !