Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (lacofdfireman)      Join Date: Aug 2014       06-08-2015, 2:06 PM Reply   
I have a friend looking for a boat to surf behind. He doesn't have a large budget but found an 04 Tige 24v with a 330hp scorpion motor and 300hrs for $30k. I know nothing about Tige so wanted to ask how this boat would be to surf behind. He is not looking for a competition size wake but just something to learn on with his kids and on a smaller budget. Also the boat does not have any Fat Sacs. How much would it cost to add Fat sacs and what sizes and where would you put them? Also do you plumb them in or use an external pump? My Axis A24 has it all plumbed in so I don't have any knowledge of how other systems work as this is my first and only boat I have ever owned.

Any opinions appreciated.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-08-2015, 2:34 PM Reply   
ask the same thing here: http://tigeowners.com/forum/forum.php
Old     (stingreye)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-08-2015, 2:45 PM Reply   
One of the top surf boats for the money. I really like the 22V wave but I am biased as I own a 24V.

Plenty of people liked it at Wake9's Polar Bear and it was up against much newer boats:
http://wake9.com/polar-bear-2013/recap.php
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-08-2015, 2:59 PM Reply   
I'd say boring at best.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-08-2015, 3:25 PM Reply   
I rode behind one every now and then during my stint in Florida.... surf wake was great, wakeboard wake left a little to be desired.

For fat sacs it depends if he wants a fully automated setup on switches or manual and toss a pump over the side.... I would say bare minimum $500 for bags and pumps.... if he wants it done up and auto, assuming he can install himself, figure $1800-$2000 +/-

....side note, its amazing how much some people talk even though they have nothing to say.
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       06-08-2015, 5:22 PM Reply   
I have an 05 24V and am also on Tige owners, so any questions you have specifically for this boat, feel free to shoot. I surf with custom sacs in the surf corner, 1800lbs and 600 in the front. We fill both front and whatever side we are surfing. For the 30k range, I don't know a better surf boat that you could find. Honestly, having TAPS lets you make small adjustments to the wake (or wave) as you wish. For 30k, if the boat is in good shape, I say jump on it. Not having ballast kinda sucks, but adding it is not a huge ordeal, and nice that you don't have to tear something out to put in what you really want. Head over to Tige Owners, find CHPTHRIL (Mike) and hit him up for ballast. I cant remember exactly how much the custom bags cost, but I think there were 650 or so for each one, remember each sac is 1800lbs. These boats, being so big, need the weight to push them down in the water.
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       06-08-2015, 5:25 PM Reply   
One more thing, I was drawn to a 24v for another reason besides the wake it could make. I have kids, and I want them in what I feel is going to be a safe boat, now we aren't out on a huge lake so weather is not a major factor for us, but when it does get choppy, and it does, I feel 100% safe in my 24v. Its huge, and has no problems plowing through waves to get me back to our slip. Safety, like I said was a big key for me, if my kids were scared to go out on the boat, what fun would it be.
Old     (ctxaggies)      Join Date: May 2010       06-09-2015, 11:00 AM Reply   
Sorry to thread jack, but how is the 24v wakeboard wake from 16 to 21 mph? My wife and her friends like to ride slow, and not be completely washed out. I ride 20-21 mph. I've heard the 24v may require >23 mph before the wake is clean, and that a 22v may be better suited for us.

Last edited by ctxaggies; 06-09-2015 at 11:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-10-2015, 7:56 AM Reply   
With zero ballast the wake isn't terrible below 20. But with weight the wake is washed till about 23.
Old     (Riley212)      Join Date: May 2015       06-10-2015, 10:05 PM Reply   
The 24v is probably one of the best surf boats out there, but takes a lot of ballast to get it there, 2-3000 lbs. Once you get it dialed in it is hard to beat, you might even like it better than your a24.
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       06-10-2015, 10:57 PM Reply   
damn, 3000 lbs? I wanna see the wave on that one. I run 1800 in the surf corner and 600 up front. That's plenty. I guess that's only 600lbs off of 3k. haha.