Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Hyperryd)      Join Date: May 2014       07-16-2015, 6:36 AM Reply   
I am considering a boat that is a bit of a barn find. It is a 2006 X-Star that has been stored since its first season. It has under 20 hours on it so it is essentially a "new" used boat. It was shrink wrapped, winterized and stored in a shop the whole time. My concerns are mechanical. I know I would need to drain and flush fuel, change all fluids and get new batteries. My question is what else could I be getting myself into. I'm in California so freeze isn't an issue. It is an incredible boat, but I don't want to make any offers until I research it a bit. It isn't for sale anywhere so I'm not in a rush.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-16-2015, 6:41 AM Reply   
Anything rubber is prone to dry-rot. hoses and belts should be inspected and I would anticipate that even if they look good now, they might go bad on you within the first 20 hours running it.

Water pump impeller should also be replaced.

If you're getting a good price on it and it's in great shape cosmetically, then I would go for it but with the understanding that you might be working some bugs out of it for the first season.
Old     (all2matt)      Join Date: Apr 2015       07-16-2015, 6:41 AM Reply   
rubber parts would be my next questionable items (impeller, hoses, etc.....)
Old     (BurnMac42)      Join Date: May 2015       07-16-2015, 7:01 AM Reply   
Not a 100% comparison but the dealer I bought my boat from got a Supra that had been sitting in a field for almost 4 years....they swapped the fluids, battery, etc and it fired right up...
Old     (Hyperryd)      Join Date: May 2014       07-16-2015, 7:16 AM Reply   
I had thought of the impeller but forgot to list it. I didn't really think about the hoses. I'm hoping for an easy exchange of fluids and impeller and an easy start. I just want to know the worst case scenarios so I don't get blinded by a "new" boat that could be anything but.
Old     (tjb1080)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-16-2015, 7:21 AM Reply   
Sounds like a good find.
Would love to see pictures.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-16-2015, 7:22 AM Reply   
ballast hoses and impellers
bilge pump hose

gaskets should all be good. all should be cheap and easy. sounds like a nice find.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-16-2015, 7:28 AM Reply   
Stored inside after shrink wrapping. It should be like new. The hoses will be great unless there is a lot of ozone near it. If the engine belt was loosened off it should be perfect, if not it should still be good. Change the fluids, lube everything, turn the engine over by hand a few turns, move all the cables all the way.
Break it in like a new boat and change the oil again after another 20-30 hours. Cool find. The story behind it might be sad, or interesting. When pricing, just remember it's a 2006 if you ever want to sell it so the low hours are not the key factor on price.
Old     (jwweathers)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-16-2015, 7:48 AM Reply   
I agree with Art. If it was wrapped, most of the soft parts will be fine. The ethanol fuel sitting in the fuel system can lead to problems, but you won't know that until you get it running. Perform all of the regular maintenance items, and you will most likely be good to go. Keep one thing in mind, though. When an engine has been sitting for that long, the oil will settle. So, before you fire it up for the first time, remove the spark plugs and pour about an ounce of oil in each cylinder. Then, crank the engine over by hand until you get tired. Do not skip this step!
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       07-16-2015, 7:55 AM Reply   
I would be concerned about the rubber hoses as well but, besides the impeller, the next thing I would worry about is fuel varnish in the fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel lines and injectors. At best you'll probably have to run some sort of fuel system cleaner and replace the fuel filter a few times. At worst you're going to need to replace all those parts, and possibly the fuel injectors too.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-16-2015, 7:56 AM Reply   
Don't forget about the trailer. The tires are most likely need to be replaced and I would pump some grease in the bearing buddies right away.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-16-2015, 7:57 AM Reply   
This is the WakeWorld version of Chasing Classic Cars! What a find. Do me a favor and let me know if you decide not to buy it . . . .
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-16-2015, 8:15 AM Reply   
bad fuel: locate the fuel filter and take it out. connect to another hose and run it out the drain plug. add air pressure to the fuel tank at the filler with a compressor. this will force all the fuel out of the tank. add some good gas, drive it around the block a few times and drain the gas again. install new filter and reconnect lines. you'll have to prime the fuel rail likely. Then you should be ready to crank
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       07-16-2015, 8:52 AM Reply   
Besides what everyone else has said, the only real worry I'd have is the cylinder walls. If they did not fog the engine during winterization then they may have a slight bit of surface rust. Just add a small amount of oil to each cylinder and turn over by hand before ever starting the engine like mentioned above. Before tearing off the shrink wrap (assuming its still there) I would inspect for holes that rodents could have made or gotten into. Having a critter living inside for a period of time could play havoc on wiring, interior, etc.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-16-2015, 9:20 AM Reply   
Only other thing to watch that wasn't mentioned would be any of the engine seals drying out from sitting so long. If you got the boat for a good price all of the other issues mentioned above are minor to replace before firing it up.
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-16-2015, 10:33 AM Reply   
If they went to the trouble of shrink wrapping it the boat was probably winterized as well. Surely the owner will know if it was winterized. I would say if the price was $5000 or more below what it would be worth running go for it. Hoses, belts, impellers, etc are easy and cheap fixes but I would set my expectations that the first summer would be working out the kinks in it so you're not frustrated with it.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-16-2015, 10:29 PM Reply   
If the boat was pickled basically brand new, I wouldn't worry about any of the rubber parts. They were new and have seen no sunlight, moisture etc.
What makes this rubber wear out more sitting under that shrink wrap than my boat sitting in my garage 350-360 days a year? .........Nothing! And nothing is dry rotted at going on 10 yrs old, nor was it going on 15 yrs on my old boat.
You will be getting a new boat if it's all what you say it is.
Need batteries, trailer tires before any big trips. Only issue may be if injectors get messed up with the old gas but even a good chance of no issue there, IMO.
Fwiw, the ballast intake hose on my 06 X2 was cracked and crispy a coup,e years ago. Replaced it after it broke trying disconnect it. Only hose on the boat with this issue and a buddy has the same year X and his is fine still afaik.
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-17-2015, 8:40 AM Reply   
I'd pop the distributor cap off just to verify no moisture got in (doubt it, but it's easy). The trailer should have oil on the bearings with sight caps, but do check the back side of the tires for signs of leakage. The fuel filter on this one is on the pump, they're known to fail. I'd look for crack on the alternator/water pump belt. From sitting the thermostat could be stuck, so if it goes above 160F once in the water shut down and head back in.

I also guarantee the impeller is toast.
Cheers,
DC
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-17-2015, 8:42 AM Reply   
Oh yeah also pop the panel under the driver front seat to verify the underdash wiring looks good.
Cheers,DC
Old     (jbird)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-17-2015, 9:50 AM Reply   
I'd worry about engine internals! An engine being stored should still have it's oil changed once a year to avoid the corrosiveness of acidification! And obviously it should've been cranked at those times to eliminate flat spots on bearings! Have a mechanic check it!
Old     (Hyperryd)      Join Date: May 2014       07-19-2015, 9:06 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. I appreciate all of the input. We will see if this is even possible. The owner hasn't given me a price yet. I'll keep you posted.
Old     (davidggriffith)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-19-2015, 1:10 PM Reply   
John please pm me if you don't buy it I'm really interested
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       07-20-2015, 8:34 PM Reply   
And now some pics please!
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       07-21-2015, 4:19 AM Reply   
Make s:re it has an ecm and isn't actually an epic.....