Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-05-2009, 1:11 AM Reply   
Besides having to pay taxes twice (I would assume) and shipping costs, what about warranty work at a local dealer if you didn't buy from them.
Old     (fic)      Join Date: May 2008       09-05-2009, 4:02 AM Reply   
If you contact your local dealer and inform them that you have found a boat that you are interested in , in another state they should be more then happy to assist you in the purchase and that way they get the boat count for their dealership and warranty is no problem.
Too many times a boat is bought from another territory without the dealer knowing and it cost that dealer money in lost incentives and discounts and they cant make that back in service.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-05-2009, 6:52 AM Reply   
As far as out of state purchasing goes, you waive the takes in the state you purchase from because you are from out of state. When the titleing gets done, you pay taxes on the state you liscence it in.

As far as warranty goes, I dont know for sure, but the taxes part I do know. I just went through this YESTERDAY :-)
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-05-2009, 8:51 AM Reply   
Yea, no double taxes.

If you are buying one with Merc components, almost any dealer services them. I don't have a local dealer for my brand in the area, so the dealer I keep it at doesn't care. That being said, i've never had a warranty claim.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-05-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
I will third the no double taxes. You just pay taxes in the state you register it in.
Old     (nauti4life)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-05-2009, 9:26 AM Reply   
Why not support your local dealer?????
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-05-2009, 9:37 AM Reply   
Love to support the local dealer but if I'm saving thousands lets face it out of state we go.The local guy will hopefully try to take care of me and earn some money in the parts and service dept and show me why I should stay with him. That way he can get some biz from all my friends that love my new boat.
Old     (fic)      Join Date: May 2008       09-06-2009, 6:28 AM Reply   
Why would you not want to purchase your out of state boat through your local dealer and still save those thousands of dollars? And why would your friends buy a boat from local dealer when they liked your boat if you told them you didnt buy the boat from his dealership?
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-08-2009, 11:00 AM Reply   
If I bought a boat from an out of state dealer even with the same boat brand dealer near me, I'd be scared to bring the boat in for service to my local dealer.....they will remember you, and they will be pissed. Don't expect any favors or quick service times.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-08-2009, 12:18 PM Reply   
I bought my boat from out of state, but they didn't have anything near what I was wanting locally at my dealer. I have gotten good service with the dealer, although it wasn't warranty work. My boat is a '99, so I was paying for the work out of my pocket.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-08-2009, 12:23 PM Reply   
As long as you give your local dealer a chance to match or come close to matching the price and are honest with them then they probably won't be super pissed. I would expect them to come close to matching an out of state dealer's price on an apples to apples boat unless the out of state dealer is just giving the boat away.
Old     (alotta_fagina)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-08-2009, 12:28 PM Reply   
If you don't support your local dealer, what makes you think they would want to support you? You bypassed/screwed/saved money - however one would see it - on the new boat purchase, why should they now have to show you why you should have bought from them? Your friends will follow your lead and buy one out of area as well, especially if they can spend less elsewhere and the local guy will still service it. Warranty claims are a losing deal for dealers, service/parts income is minimal. The original sale is how they survive. Your local dealer invested time and and money in a store, inventory, advertising, local events, and employed people in your community and those people have knowledge in their product that sold you on it in the first place. That investment was to earn the payback of your business. I would be quite surprised if you found your local dealer willing to take your boat in. The money you saved can go towards taking it back to the purchasing dealer in the way of gas/time will most likely be their answer. Its a tough go out there and everyone is looking to be a wise consumer, but give your guy a shot and understand the whole picture before you make a decision. That other dealer may be going under hence the deal, but if your local guy doesn't get your business either, then he's next! Now where is your service coming from?
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-08-2009, 2:37 PM Reply   
Garett-
I gave my local dealer the first shot on my last 2 boats (different brands) and gave them the opportunity to match the price. They just said I could not get it for that price. I bought both boats and you are right they held a grudge ageist me for even doing the regular service by giving me a date 6 weeks out. So I learned to do my own service and one of those dealers is now out of business.

I have always thought about the car business I buy fleet and have the local dealer do warranty work and I have never been treated like the boat guy did.

So for me saving $ 8,000 on the boat and learning to do the maintenance have saved me the deprecation and I have never recommended the local guys when someone asks about my boats.

I am in business and depend on word of mouth, I would think that the boat business is so small that they would have to do a better job on servicing any customer.
Old     (fic)      Join Date: May 2008       09-09-2009, 3:30 AM Reply   
If purchasing a different brand thats different, but as far as the same brand we many times have pulled a boat from another dealers inventory to make a deal for a shopper and everybody was happy, as far as a different brand we will do service on any but not there warranty issues.