Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-08-2018, 1:54 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure this topic has been discussed, but not recently so I figured I would ask. I have 2 boats,
1 boat get's 50-60 Hrs a Year and the other boat gets 200 Hrs a year. Both boats are running conventional oil, My thought was that if I switched to Full Synthetic oil thi the boat that gets 200 Hrs a year I could avoid a Mid season Oil change? Example I like to change oil at the 100 Hr mark but that dosen't always happen, Do you think I could go 200 Hrs on full Synthetic? if so Whats involved in switching from conventional to Synthetic, And you do have a brand you could recomend
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-08-2018, 4:14 PM Reply   
jeez, aren't you the guy that blew out the impeller trying to postpone the mfg suggested service intervals. Didn't learn anything.

skip the synthetic and change your oil...IMHO
Old     (SoulSurfer)      Join Date: Oct 2016       11-08-2018, 7:18 PM Reply   
100 hour oil change interval and stretching to 200??? Yikes! I feel like I'm pushing it if I go 50 without a change!
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       11-08-2018, 8:29 PM Reply   
All the manufactures specifically say in the manual that using synthetic does NOT change the interval times.
Personally, I change oil every 40hrs. The loads we put on these boats is not "normal" to an engine IMO and for how cheap new oil, filter are....and fact that it only take 30mins, seems silly to me to expect that your engine will appreciate that, nor will you be repair with reliability and longevity. Especially for a boat you are putting 200hrs a year on, you want it to be reliable. Change the oil sooner and spend 1hr of the 200 taking care of the boat so it will take care of you.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-08-2018, 9:08 PM Reply   
Finally. Grant is going ghetto on something. Have you considered getting a boat boy to do this crap for you?

Last edited by Bakes; 11-08-2018 at 9:12 PM.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-09-2018, 4:51 AM Reply   
Regardless of whether oil is syn or dyno, its not the base that wears out and needs to be changed. Rather, its the additives that become ineffective and the contaminants that need to be flushed out.
Old     (Spotless)      Join Date: May 2016       11-09-2018, 6:02 AM Reply   
Grant, one should never extend interval without oil analysis. By the time you fill out the paperwork and ship it you could have changed the oil. Fuel mapping on boat engines are notoriously rich which changes viscosity quickly. I'm with others here, change it at 50 hours. Synthetic is great but you can make a good old oil seal start leaking by switching if it already has a lot of hours.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-09-2018, 6:38 AM Reply   
Grant is finally getting old and lazy LOL

just messing with you.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-09-2018, 7:01 AM Reply   
scottb7's little dig was pretty funny.

I always thought 50 hours was low but I wonder if the manufacturers do this because boats tend to sit for extended periods and it ensures a yearly contaminants flush. Heck I believe 50 hours is average in the boating community. Perhaps a one time test at 100 hours would give you some direction. I would be curious of the results.

I do the 50 to 60 hours because it forces me to pull the boat and perform a "big" cleanup. My boat stays on a freshwater lift and I am not one of these people who are always polishing the diamond but it does show just as well as any other boat.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       11-09-2018, 7:51 AM Reply   
I change mine every 40 or so hours. However, I've always thought this seems excessive. If a car averages 25 mph (includes sitting at red lights, stop signs, and traffic) and a conservative synthetic oil change happens at 5000 miles, this equates to 5000 miles / 25 miles per hour = 200 hours. Most European auto manufacturers recommend 10,000 mile oil change intervals which would equal 400 hours of driving at an average of 25 mph (again, including stop lights, stop signs, and traffic). Why do we need to change boat oil every 50 hours when we change car oil every 200 hours?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-09-2018, 8:46 AM Reply   
Tre,

You failed to factor rhe excessive load of pushing a boat through the water, compared to a car rolling across pavement. This results in higher RPM. Not to mention the fact that boats are single speed. This is why heavy equipment uses time, not mileage. its more about the work done, not the distance traveled.
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       11-09-2018, 9:40 AM Reply   
Indmar put out a bulletin a few years back stating boats that under heavy use IE Surfing, needs 25 hour oil changes. I change mine every 25-20, sometimes push to 35. If you get a 12v pump it takes me minutes to drain it, slap a new filter on & fill it back up. I just suck it out after we get off the lake, let it sit for an hour so it's not too hot & it comes out like water.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-09-2018, 6:45 PM Reply   
There was a forum on here a couple of years ago. Ryanw209, did an oil analysis of his sanger v215 ( which he slams) and he took it in at 50hrs. they said the oil was basically brand new and that you should go to 75hrs per oil change, and then bring it in. here's the link - http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797014

My friend's nautique dealer said 75hrs is good as well. 50 is just overdoing it.

If you think about it probably a third of the time the boat is at idle, listening to music or cruising speeds with no weight. 50hrs will come up fast.

Idk about you surfers though, reving your boat to 5k rpms then id probably listen in indmar.

Acutally tre is kinda right, instead of car lets use a truck for instance towing a boat. Towing a boat on the freeway is give or take 3000 rpm which is pretty close to a boat. Do you change your oil more often in your truck because you tow the boat more often? most probably don't, you're more worried about your transmission.

the best thing to do is do an oil analysis at 50hrs - 100hrs, and see what they say, im sure each engine is a little different. Then go up from there, could be saving $100s in oil which is more cash for gas!!
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-10-2018, 10:45 AM Reply   
Well...you are supposed to change your oil in your truck more often of you tow a bunch.

Anywho, oil changes are so simple. Seriously. Probably even more so on your direct drive vs a v drive where the oil filter can sometime require a little flexibility. Just seems a little silly to not change it every 50 or at least every 75 hours. You have already saved $120k by driving a classic direct drive, if anything, I would focus more on maintenance than less. Your gonna work on your boat. Either in the garage with tunes playing or on the middle of the lake with all your buddies wondering if someone is going to stop and give you a tow before it gets dark.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-10-2018, 2:42 PM Reply   
I use this little pump thingy, works super well.
https://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Turf-Oi.../dp/B000GU0MMU

One thing to consider is the moisture in the oil you get from the marine environment. I've always changed at 50 but without oil analysis you don't really know.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-11-2018, 7:58 AM Reply   
I have the Jabsco oil extractor. It works great. And I agree changing oil is no big deal. I was just trying to apply the same logic auto company’s say. 5000 miles for conventional oil and 10000 miles for synthetic oil. Also I agree, load and speed have to have a effect on stress the motor experiences.
Example if you have a fully weighted boat that all it does is pull riders yes 50 hrs sounds right.
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-11-2018, 12:04 PM Reply   
We surf %95 of the time. I run rotella T5 semi synthetic and at 75 hours the oil is at it’s tested to be changed level. Full synthetic may buy you a little more time but I deem 75 hours max and 50 on conventional. Even if not weighted heavy. Cheap insurance!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-20-2018, 12:54 PM Reply   
Grant, I synthetic on almost everything. It has two significant advantages over conventional. First, it flows better cold and gets to surfaces faster. Second, it withstands heat much better and breaks down at higher temperatures. It also stays on a surface better so it has a slight advantage on starts or after long rests.

You need to change the oil if it is breaking down or if it is oxidized or if it is dirty. Boat oils don't tend to get too dirty, but the air in CA right now might change that. The oil won't oxidize much in one season. The synthetic probably won't break down in 200 hours, unless you are stressing it with surfing or other high load activities. You would probably be okay. That said, I have seen car engines taken apart where the oil was constantly changed at short intervals and they looked mint after more than 100,000 miles. Actually better than new. I've also seen them trashed after use with broken down oil for short periods. Is it worth the risk?

If it were me I'd not worry about the oil change if it was used nicely on synthetic for 150. At 200 you might want to change at 100. The safest is to have an analysis done at 100 and see what has happened. A major brand like Mobil 1 would be better than an off brand like AmsOil. Good luck
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-20-2018, 6:36 PM Reply   
How does a Oil assement work?

You drain a quart and send it off and they tell you how your motor is?
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-22-2018, 8:51 AM Reply   
Exactly. Go to black stone labs I believe .com and they send you a free kit and you pay to get the results once they’ve tested. Make sure to let it start draining and then catch some mid way through and if you catch it in something else make sure it’s nice and clean and not clean with chemicals that may give a false read.
Old     (thejean)      Join Date: Aug 2018       11-24-2018, 8:35 PM Reply   
I run synthetic on my boat and not because I want to extend the interval (I still change at 50 hours) but synthetic is easier on the catalytic converters and also is a less resistant to break down due to time (as opposed to dirt or shear). I also like that it’s a bit thinner which helps a bit with wear upon startup after sitting for a week or two not running.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-25-2018, 8:14 PM Reply   
Oil looked good today
Attached Images

Old     (WakeWise)      Join Date: Jun 2014       12-18-2018, 7:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Oil looked good today
Is that Tulloch? Great pic.