Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Mindy)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-11-2011, 11:05 PM Reply   
I'm super excited to get a new board/bindings this year. I found a Demo Day coming up in my state that I plan to attend. I called the shop that's putting it on, but the girl who answered the phone didn't really seem to know too much about it. I have never been to anything like that and was hoping you all could give me an idea of what to expect. I'm pretty new to the whole wakeboarding scene, I want to have fun and find the best setup for me and not worry about making an ass of myself!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-11-2011, 11:14 PM Reply   
call the shop again and ask for the manager. he/she should know if there's a demo day coming up.

demo as many boards and bindings as you can. most shops that charge to demo will apply money spent demo-ing can/will be applied towards the purchase of new gear. don't let a salesperson sell you on just one brand. check out different brands if they carry more than one. if you have any questions or if you think the salesperson is messin' w/ you, post your question(s) here. also, try not to be too concerned w/ feminine vs. masculine graphics.

welcome to the sport and have fun.
Old     (b33nine)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-11-2011, 11:45 PM Reply   
I'm assuming you're referring to AWS's demo days coming up? I know last year they didn't demo any pro model boards, and after talking to them on the phone earlier this week it sounds like that's the plan for this year as well.

I would think a demo day event would be a lot more successful if they were demoing the high end gear, but I'll defer to their expertise because they've been in the business for a long time and are really good at what they do.

Would love to try the difference between about 3-4 pro model boards currently, but this event doesn't sound like the opportunity for it.
Old     (Mindy)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-12-2011, 12:01 AM Reply   
Sounds like I better call again. I've checked out lots of gear online and read all about what I think I'd want to try, they are what you'd consider "pro model" that I was looking at I guess. I was just hoping that people could tell me what a Demo Day would be like in general. I didn't even know if you used your own boat until I called! I'd asume you should bring a note about what angles you ride your bingings at...stuff like that. Also, is it realistic to want to try four setups, or do you usually just get one or two to try?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-12-2011, 12:07 AM Reply   
at demo days, shops/wake companies usually bring out a bunch of boards/bindings for people to try. some demo days have boats for people to ride behind. if you're there all day and the turnout isn't too big, it's realistic to try out 3-4 different set-ups.
Old     (Mindy)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-12-2011, 2:41 PM Reply   
Hey, thanks for the advice. I called again and spoke to a different person at AWS and got a lot more info. And to Brandon, they let me make an appointment and sign up to ride the top of the line women's boards. So you probably can ride the pro model boards you are looking at too; he said the reps were coming and that you could pick pretty much anything they had in the warehouse. Now I just have to figure our all the girly stuff, like what I'm going to wear hahaha