Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (crispywake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-12-2016, 1:16 PM Reply   
I'm getting a set of new bindings as my previous ones are falling apart. I'd saying I'm starting to try to get into an intermediate level from novice. I can clear the wakes easily, starting to work on 360s and inverts, and have really started pushing myself a lot more lately.

I've been riding on Hyperlite Focus bindings and a State (2013) board. I'm going to stick with open toe for now as I need a general boat binding that will fit everyone, and probably get a new board and closed toe binding for myself next year or so. I don't ride cable at all, boat only.

I'm thinking of getting either the Hyperlite Team OT 2015 bindings or Ronix Network 2015 bindings. There are deals on both ($150/$180 respectively, from retail prices of $290/$350 respectively). I don't want to go too crazy and spend a ton as I plan on getting nicer more personal equipment soon, so I'm good with this price range.

I've seen the Hyperlite Team is a softer binding (and possibly more park oriented?), and the Ronix Network is much stiffer. I'm not really sure what my preference is to be honest. I've liked my Focus bindings (as long as the laces eyes don't rip out which has now happened twice, first one warranty replaced, now I'm replacing) but don't have anything to compare them to, and no friends with bindings that fit for me to try different stiffnesses/flexes.

Any suggestions, thoughts, or tips are greatly appreciated.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-13-2016, 11:54 AM Reply   
I prefer stiffer bindings. I've heard it's better for your ankles but I like them because I feel like i have more board control. I don't know if most people will be able to comment on the specific bindings you want as most people on here are riding high end closed toe bindings.

If you're going to get a more personal set soon then I would go for the stiffer bindings and see how you like them compared to what you already ride.

Have fun!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-13-2016, 12:37 PM Reply   
I personally like flexible bindings. Easier to poke out grabs and a little more freedom. It's possible that I'm sacrificing ankle support, but the only ankle injuries I've ever seen are where the foot is yanked out, or half way out of an over-tightened binding. I also believe that under the right circumstances, the energy from a bad crash is going somewhere, and the knees are the next place in line.
Old     (crispywake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-13-2016, 1:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
I personally like flexible bindings. Easier to poke out grabs and a little more freedom. It's possible that I'm sacrificing ankle support, but the only ankle injuries I've ever seen are where the foot is yanked out, or half way out of an over-tightened binding. I also believe that under the right circumstances, the energy from a bad crash is going somewhere, and the knees are the next place in line.
What do you mean by over tightened bindings? I always yank my laces as tight as I can get them and my feet never come out even if I take an edge or land yanking on the board. Am I doing it wrong?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-13-2016, 1:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispywake View Post
What do you mean by over tightened bindings? I always yank my laces as tight as I can get them and my feet never come out even if I take an edge or land yanking on the board. Am I doing it wrong?
Just another preference. I synch the lower laces down, but the upper is just snug. I would prefer to come out if I'm really catching an edge that hard. As opposed to tearing an ankle apart.
Old     (crispywake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-13-2016, 1:54 PM Reply   
Ok, thanks for the advice guys. It sounds like it all comes down to personal preference, which I'm just really not sure of myself. I wish I could ride on some other bindings but none of my friends with nicer bindings fit me (I've got big feet). I ordered both the Hyperlite Team OT and Ronix Network bindings and will just have to try them on dry and return whichever I decide to not use. Hopefully I can get somewhat of a sense, although Im guessing it will be difficult to really get a feel for it without riding on some water (which I then couldn't return them).
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-13-2016, 2:36 PM Reply   
Fwiw, I've ridden quite a few different bindings and the HL teams are some of my favorites of all of them. I've ridden the open and closed toe and tbh the open is one of the best bindings I've ridden, hard to beat for the price. They are extra responsive and I never felt that they were overly loose, I put those through a beating last season and they treated me very well. Good luck in your search, but just in my opinion, id go HL teams.