Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (agendawakepark)      Join Date: Aug 2014       02-13-2015, 6:34 AM Reply   
You heard that right, a cable in Charlotte, NC! As we move closer and closer to this becoming a reality I have a couple questions that I would love to get the "masses" opinions on.

First (and a big one): Which do you prefer, clockwise or counter clockwise for cable rotation?

Second: Unit rails or custom rails? Or a mix of both? What unit rails would you like to see in this park?

What other amenities that you would like to see in this park?

Thanks!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-13-2015, 6:50 AM Reply   
So this is really going to happen aye? You should post this info here https://www.facebook.com/groups/485084248203007/

1. I have no preference on cable direction. I've ridden both and as a goofy footer I really don't think it's a big deal.

2. A mix definitely. Rooftops are awesome, barrel rails are awesome and transfers are a must.

In terms of amenities, I think you shouldn't worry too much about getting fancy. Just give it a good wakeboard scene vibe. I've been to Jibtopia, Hexagon and McCormicks a bunch and I can tell you that Jibtopia is the most fun park to visit. The vibe is AWESOME. Casey remembers names of almost everyone that shows up, Clark, Alex and Andy are the masterminds behind the park and they all push for an inviting and chill atmosphere. Hammocks are hanging up everywhere, they have a bar with food, onsite camping, skateboard miniramp, etc... Just a fun place to hang out. While I love Hexagon (all the riders and operators are cool as hell), showing up at a family beach to wakeboard just doesn't inspire a wakeboard-scene atmosphere. Again, that's not to say I don't like it. I appreciate the **** out of what they do, but without a doubt the place would have a bit more "cool factor" in a dedicated location. McCormicks fits right in the middle, in terms of vibe. They're not quite Jibtopia (nobody will ever be the same as Jibtopia), but everyone that's at the facility is there to wakeboard and ski, and I think that is awesome.

I hope this statement won't offend anyone at the above facilities... I sincerely enjoy ALL of them and would recommend everyone visit them all!
Old     (jcon44)      Join Date: Aug 2012 Location: denver, NC       02-13-2015, 8:20 AM Reply   
Do you guys have a locational already picked out? I'm curious to know what part of town. Thx,
Old     (hrwboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-15-2015, 4:53 PM Reply   
I really hope this gets off the ground and going soon as it will be another big step for the NC wake community!

As far as clockwise or counter-clockwise I don't think it matters much. I feel like I notice the cable manufacturer and the cable height much more when I ride a new park than the rotation direction. I suppose for beginners there are, in general, more regular riders so a clockwise turn may be easier.

I feel like riders differ so much on what they enjoy in a park but one thing that definitely makes the parks I've ridden stand out are the unique rails that I don't really get to hit anywhere else. I'm a fan of Unit rails but in particular the rails that you don't get to hit at every park. For example, the Henshaw at OWC, the full Pat at Hexagon, the Kaesen at whichever Cali park (that looks like a blast!), the C rail at BSR, the iceberg at Wake Nation Cinci are all pretty unique. Some big transfers are always fun as well!

I agree with boardjnky4 on creating a good wake vibe where everyone feels welcome and comfortable to be riding there. Jibtopia, OWC, and Wake Nation Cinci all have comfortable changing rooms as well as showers and bathrooms which is always a plus for customers.

Really looking forward to another park in NC! Would love to be involved with this so feel free to shoot me a message on here or on Facebook!
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-16-2015, 9:14 AM Reply   
I would like to see attractions built around the park to get more people seeing the sport, and more people trying it out. As a rider, I hate long lines, but as a business guy, I would love it if I had a stake in the business.

As more and more cable parks are popping up across the United States, I believe new cables need to differentiate themselves beyond just having the best rails and water features. I don't know how much money this project has backing it, or what connections you have in Charlotte, but I've always said that if someone could build a shopping center with beaches and boardwalk filled with restaurants and shops around a cable lake, it would easily become the most profitable cable in the world.