Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tgmind)      Join Date: Dec 2014       12-20-2014, 2:24 PM Reply   
First off I'm super impressed with how helpful everyone has been in my first post looking for boats within my lake limits of 3100lbs and 21'. Thanks! The sanger 210V got a lot of recommendations and I found an 08 with 121 hours for $24k. The guy said he bought it new in spring of 2010 and it sat on the lot for the first couple years. The pics look good. Some discoloration on drivers seat but looks nice otherwise. Has been stored is shed since 2010.

The problem is that its 600 miles away and winterized so pretty much have to buy it sight unseen. Also, He says it needs a tune up and that its cold blooded but runs and drives ok after it warms up. Tells me the dealer said it needs an air/fuel valve? possibly but mechanically everything looked good. Has PP and the stage 1 ballast. Stereo does not work. Says it stopped working after he washed it.

So the big question, is $24k a good enough deal to take a risk on a boat with this description that I can't look at or drive before the sale? I don't have the option to buy a Sanger locally as there seems to be very few in the midwest. I also want to buy a boat this winter so test drives are most likely out of the question anyway.

Thanks for your opinions.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       12-20-2014, 2:32 PM Reply   
I wouldn't rick it man. Bringing a Sanger to the Midwest with that many problems already. Boat market is thin here right now. I'm always looking. But that boat doesn't have a name in these parts and will be harder to sell.

I'm not against Sanger by any means but where we are stick to the big 3 and tige and you will be much happier.

There is a reason he is selling that boat that cheap. I wouldn't want that much trouble with my first boat.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-20-2014, 2:56 PM Reply   
If it's a stock stereo from Sanger it's not great anyway so no worries there. That's really low hours. I think mine had more in it's first year so it has probably sat for a summer or two without running which is really not a problem if it was stored properly. Which engine does it have? The Scorpion has a flat swim deck and is injected. The base engine is carbed and the swim deck is bowed up in the middle. The Scorpion is more valuable. The hull is really good on the V210 and it rides very well.

I can't give you a great guess on the price but now, especially without being able to test drive, you probably have some good opportunity to haggle on price. If he gets his money before Christmas and has all that extra space for the winter you are doing him some favours. Sangers are sold new with the trailer.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       12-20-2014, 3:05 PM Reply   
"Stereo does not work. Says it stopped working after he washed it."

I believe that there are too many questions about the veracity of the owner's explanation of issues in a 2008 boat to take the risk ... without being able to test drive it ... and ... without being able to have a boat mechanic crawl all over it. To me, parts of the owner's story sound suspect.

My 2006 has none of those issues. And then this .... 'stereo does not work after washed' .... ??? What?

Heck, in the days when I didn't watch the weather forecast, I've been caught on May and June days in a torrential rain and lightning storm so fierce we all wished we were ashore.

One day was particularly nuts. On the way home, there were multiple car pile-ups on the highway. One accident was particularly bad. A patrolman had arrived at the scene. And then another car plowed into the patrolman and wiped him out. The highway patrol just shut the whole highway down for perhaps a 20 mile stretch, so that ambulances could drive on the wrong side of the highway.

But after all that, my stereo's fine. It was drenched like a wet rat.
Old     (tgmind)      Join Date: Dec 2014       12-20-2014, 3:18 PM Reply   
It has the Scorpion Motor. I was wondering it those were injected. Sounds like a nice upgrade.

I feel you guys on it being suspect. A little more info.. He says he put 70 hours on it the first summer wake boarding. Blew his knew out beginning of the next summer and has just been using the boat for cruising since. Says he's trying to buy some land and since he doesn't use the boat much anymore wants it gone so he can use the money. He's including all of the gear with it so that corroborates the story of getting out of boating. Comes with surf board, wakeboard, tube, ropes, jackets etc.

The other boat I'm looking at is 2006 X-1 with 240 hours and its $40k but they said they would take $35,000 bottom dollar. With this in mind it seems like I could have a newer, similar quality boat for $10k less. What is my worst case scenario if it needs work to get it running perfect?
Old     (tgmind)      Join Date: Dec 2014       12-20-2014, 3:34 PM Reply   
Oh and he said its had the same gas in it for two years but he tries to top it off to keep the moisture down and uses seafoam regularly. Also says it been winterized every year. I sound like I'm trying to convince myself its okay to buy. I'm a sucker for what SEEMS to be a good deal. Sometimes it is and sometimes its just a huge PITA.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-20-2014, 3:46 PM Reply   
Go for it, sangers are simple boats and petty much bomb proof. 24k is a good deal imo
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-20-2014, 3:48 PM Reply   
Oh and fyi post 2000ish you can only get the V210 With an injected motor. The model with the hump has the 350mag motor which is still injected.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-20-2014, 4:02 PM Reply   
Spend the cash and have a shop in his area with a good REP. do a pre buy inspection. He should have no problem working with you if you are paying the bill for the inspection. If he does have a problem with it then I would keep looking.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-20-2014, 10:54 PM Reply   
I'd take the V210 over the X-1 even if the X-1 was under 30. Agreeing to pay for an inspection is a good idea. You'll know what's wrong and if he thinks it's minor he won't mind as it does not cost him anything past some time.
Mercruiser has more certified shops than any other engine manufacturer so it should not be a problem getting anything fixed. Thanks for correcting my mistake Darren. Listen to him. There are far fewer Sangers where he lives than there are in the MidWest. The Scorpion is still the more desirable engine.
Old     (tgmind)      Join Date: Dec 2014       12-21-2014, 5:02 AM Reply   
Great Idea Harold!!
Old     (wyotige)      Join Date: Dec 2014       12-21-2014, 6:42 AM Reply   
I spent hours fixing up my first boat because I couldn't afford one new right out of the box. I wouldn't be afraid of this at all but I'm also not afraid to tear into things and fix them. I'm sure there are plenty of boat mechanics that have worked on that same motor in your area even if Sanger doesn't have a presence there. No offence, but I think Boarder's logic is flawed regarding resale, people will do their research before they buy and find out its a great boat and won't be like all the rest in the Big 3. For what it's worth I own a Tige. I would pay for a mechanic to take a look at it though and pull the engine codes and get actual hours. Good luck.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-21-2014, 7:18 AM Reply   
Also have someone look at and confirm the hardware under the boat is sound. A bent shaft is not something you would want to fix either.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       12-21-2014, 9:19 PM Reply   
Definently have him take it to the shop of your choice pay for a inspection. If he hesitates tell him to piss off.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       12-21-2014, 9:20 PM Reply   
But as art said they are raZlly easy to work on in most cases
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       12-22-2014, 8:09 AM Reply   
Where are you located? Im selling my Centurion Hurrinane for 23k, I'm in California. Found out last month we're having a baby so I'm taking a break from boating for a while. 21' so it will meet your lake limit.
https://www.onlyinboards.com/2002-Ce...nia-46457.aspx

Last edited by fouroheight68; 12-22-2014 at 8:12 AM.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-06-2015, 7:55 AM Reply   
at some point, the value of a vdrive boat in good shape with low hours takes precedence over the name on the side of it. and with a little TLC sounds like you could have a great ride. Bought my v230 from a dealer 4 hours away. drove to look at it and brought it home. I think you'd be fine on this one. try to work him down a little for things like stereo, etc