Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Waterholic)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-30-2014, 3:04 PM Reply   
I understand that my boat does not produce a quality wake or even much of a wake at all.(1996 speedster) And I have seen people get up behind smaller jet boats, with that said I still want to surf behind it whether its in the wake or farther out. I I'm looking to cruise and maybe do some small tricks.
Also I generally have heavier and taller riders with me and I'm the only one who has even tried wakesurfing . So small wake, newbies that are heavy and tall. I was going to order the hyperlite landlock or hyperlite broadcast 5'6 because my budget is 300 $. I was wondering if anyone else has any input on what board would be good or any other info that would be helpful.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-30-2014, 3:17 PM Reply   
You may want to mold your sport around the boat...I would look at wake skates if I were you....http://calmarinesports.com/wakeskate-1/boards.html
Old     (Waterholic)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-30-2014, 5:26 PM Reply   
I have looked into wakeskating, but the lake we live right next to is very very busy and the wind blows here a lot.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-30-2014, 9:14 PM Reply   
Hmm...with a boat that weighs about 1500lbs dry I don't know if you are going to get a really good wave..or even a usable one...a lot of people are putting more than 1500 in their boats just in water ballast alone...

Last edited by WakeDirt; 06-30-2014 at 9:18 PM.
Old     (Waterholic)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-01-2014, 9:53 AM Reply   
So true, but I'm really just looking at cruising behind the boat at a lower speed than you do wakeboarding.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-01-2014, 11:12 AM Reply   
Well you can always carve with a regular wake/surfboard, I just don't know if you will be able to go ropeless, but if that's not your intention... rock on, as long as you're having fun is all that matters! I wouldn't exclude wakeskating
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-01-2014, 1:09 PM Reply   
There are 3 parts to the surf equation.
  1. Boat (and the wake it'll put out)
  2. Board
  3. Rider Skill

To some degree 2 of them can make up for the other. In your case, I'd say put as much ballast as you can SAFELY and comfortably handle and try 9 to 10mph.

Find a board that is fast that doesn't require all that much push because your boat won't have much if any to contibute.

Then be as skilled as possible to have fun and make it a go.

I've surfed a Tige V-drive with NO ballast and was able to freeride just fine. So, you never know what's possible.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-01-2014, 1:17 PM Reply   
The broadcast is a "meh" board. I had a used one that I bought for $75. It was just kinda there. I sold it at the beginning of this season.

If you want a good all around board, get a Ronix Koal Fish. Here's a prior year blem for close to your budget:
http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakesurf-b...-2013-4-6-.jpg

Maybe get the 5' one for an all around size that everyone can use..
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-01-2014, 2:32 PM Reply   
Trayson you realize its a giant jetski right? I found this on a Seadoo Forum:
I experimented with that quite a bit. I nearly doubled the weight of my C2K with fat sacs, placing them everywhere and observing the results.

My conclusion is that it's much more dependent upon hull design than the choice of propulsion system. Jetboats have v-shaped hulls, generally a good thing unless you're doing something specific... like creating a symmetrical wake (for wakeboarding) or a surf wave (for wakesurfing). Wakeboats transition to a flatter transom/hull line which has a huge effect on the size and shape of wake that is created.

We ended up buying a wakeboat specifically because we couldn't get our jetboat to do what you're trying to do. You may be able to play around with it a bit, but I think you'll end up disappointed. It's just not what jetboat hulls are designed for.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-01-2014, 2:35 PM Reply   
Yeah, I am not saying that it's likely to yield success. However, I have had "fun" lineriding on a Yamaha jetboat. so if he's willing to settle for lineriding, then maybe all is not lost.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-01-2014, 2:37 PM Reply   
Or try what this dude did:

Well, let it be known, wakesurfing not only can be done, but works great behind a Seadoo SCIC. We in fact have two Seadoo Sportster SCICs that we use almost exclusively for wakesurfing - reason being we want to have fun with the kids at our summer camp and not worry about propellers. Here's a couple pics, one of which we are surfing on a 3" thick plank we found floating around.

So here's the method we stumbled upon that makes this possible (inspite of everyone in the known world saying it can't be done don't bother to try):

1) several people in the boat
2) one guy hanging off the tower with a windsurfing harness to lean the boat over to the side being surfed.
3) One 150lb fat sac or similar sized person on the back corner of the ski platform.
4) Use 6'0 regular surfboard (with rubber nose protector) not a wakesurfboard
5) Start out at 15 mph and let the wake form and stabilize, have the guy on the tower then hike himself out with both feet against the the boat but his body suspended by the windsurfing harnass - the farther out he hikes the better, then slowly drop your speed down to about 11mph.
5) Pull up hand over hand on the town rope until you are close behind the boat and thow the rope into the boat once the line goes slack
6) Learn to pump the board or reach down and take a couple of paddles by hand if you start to fall out of the wake.
7) When someone falls, the hiking guy on the tower swings back along side the boat so it doesn't tip over far enough to take on water.
8) If it starts to cavitate or steam too much out the back, you are leaned over sideways or front to back too far so adjust your weight distibution in the boat.

You'll be able to surf for miles once you get this proceedure down, and will blow everyone's minds who thought it couldn't be done and/or spent $60k on a propeller wake boat thinking that's the only way they could wakesurf.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-01-2014, 2:43 PM Reply   
^^^^^^^^^ lmao
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-01-2014, 3:18 PM Reply   
^^ dahell did I just read?
Old     (Waterholic)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-01-2014, 3:46 PM Reply   
I found a shred stixx board that is 5'6 used is that a good board?
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-01-2014, 3:51 PM Reply   
The brand is highly regarded. I have never ridden one, but they have a good reputation.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-01-2014, 3:53 PM Reply   
Good board, but I still think your boat will be issue...no matter what b oard you go with....unless you 'When someone falls, the hiking guy on the tower swings back along side the boat so it doesn't tip over far enough to take on water.'
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-01-2014, 3:55 PM Reply   
ha ha
Old     (Waterholic)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-01-2014, 3:59 PM Reply   
I know it wont be quality surfing but i'm hoping a good board will still make it fun. I have heard you need a board that floats well. I was going to go with the broadcast but then I found a used shred stixx for 300 and heard they are good. I know I will probably never be able to let go of the rope. Would the shred stixx be more enjoyable or a real surf board?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-01-2014, 4:15 PM Reply   
I think you may have the most fun with your boat circumstances on a board that can track decently but is still loose. This will give you the ability to do some surface style spins and slashes. A board that is full surf style will be fast but won't give you much freedom to venture past just carving while cruising around. A skim style board will just be way too loose to carve and learn how to make your wake size work for you. The Broadcast with the stock fins might fit this bill for you. Also another one to look into is the CWB nomad. It looks like a true surf style but I find it to ride more like a hybrid of surf and skim. I have no problem spinning 360s on the wave with it. I don't have any experience with the ronix or LF counterparts to give you any input on that. I do have a feeling that the shredstixx will be too much of a true surf style for what you are looking for in a board.

In the end all that matters is having fun on the water with your crew so with that said, any board you find will ultimately work for you.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-01-2014, 4:37 PM Reply   
Check my board reviews thread. The Ronix, "The Duke" may be what will allow you to free ride that boat. it is so floaty, it just kind of sits on top of the water and gets pushed along. It can't really spin or make sharp carves or anything, but is a cruiser and made exactly for your situation, big guys on a small wake.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-01-2014, 4:47 PM Reply   
I would get a really fast skim....maybe Victoria or Phase 5...my Piscus (the board Victorias are similar to) feels like it could be rode behind a seadoo...very fast and easy to move.
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       07-02-2014, 6:19 AM Reply   
Your probabl;y gonna need an actual surf board to ride in the mush of a wave your going to be able to get. The teenagers in our families ride on the opposite side of the surf wave with one of these - http://easternlines.com/cabo-8-soft-...ource=googleps

They are able to get up and ride while we are listed the other way and surfing with our wakesurfboards. These are the type of boards that surf camps here in florida use for newbies and tourists. You said in earlier post you just want to cruise this is perfect for that. The only drawaback is that they are so bouyant can be tough to get up - it is sometimes hard to push under the water and stand on. We have done standing starts from the platfrom with it pretty easily even for inexperienced riders.

Good luck and have fun
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-02-2014, 10:14 AM Reply   
Just for reference, in case anyone is thinking this is one of the larger versions produce later, here is the size of their boat. I would think the entire storage locker would have to be filled with a sack and also have everyone sitting in the surf corner on each other's laps. This would pretty much mean like 3 people getting very friendly in the drivers seat for a goofy wake and the driver stretching from the other side of the boat (not much of a stretch really) with everyone sitting on each other on the port side for a regular wake. I still doubt it could get much at all.
I was thinking it was one of the larger ones that is like the twin engine and looks like a wakeboat, then I saw one at the dock last night and thought, no way they are trying to surf on that wide 3 person waverunner!

If you can do it, more power to you, it looks like a space and logistics nightmare to get working, but the best advice I can give is to get a fast floaty board like those that have been mentioned and try to get the boat listed one way or another. Maybe get a bunch of pop bags, because those are small heavy, and you can tuck them in all kinds of tight spots to maximize how much weight you can cram in there.
Attached Images

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-02-2014, 10:19 AM Reply   
OMG. I thought it was like the "sporster" that has the dual engine or the v6. I think you could surf behind a speedster if you weighed like 50 pounds!

Wow. Give up the idea of surfing. Maybe you can do some "skurfing" (i.e. ride on a surfboard with a wakeboard rope being towed).
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-02-2014, 10:30 AM Reply   
^That's exactly what I was thinking. I was picturing something like the Challenger, Islandia, or even the Sportster. I was definitely not thinking that small.
Attached Images

Old     (Bnixon)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-02-2014, 10:31 AM Reply   
I wonder if you could fab up a diy surf system that would help it? If it extended down and out this effectively flattens out the releasing edge of the hull like a wake boat. Think about the supra system with the surf side tab extending down on the surf side and out on the other. Just a thought...
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-02-2014, 10:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnixon View Post
I wonder if you could fab up a diy surf system that would help it? If it extended down and out this effectively flattens out the releasing edge of the hull like a wake boat. Think about the supra system with the surf side tab extending down on the surf side and out on the other. Just a thought...
Sure, that can certainly be done. I put NSS style surf blades on my Supra Sunsport and it's a game changer. Tabs, blades, whatever can certainly delay the convergence. But if you don't have ballast for displacement, you're still not freeriding. I mean, if I go below 1800 pounds of ballast on my boat, the wake really starts to suffer. I don't see them doing a surf system though. It'd be like putting drag slicks and a big wing on a Toyota Yaris and taking it out for 1/4 mile runs. Just not what it's designed to do.

They'd have more luck getting a hydrofoil ski to have fun in rougher water.
Old     (Waterholic)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-02-2014, 1:00 PM Reply   
Our boat has duel engines and a 170hp. I know its small but I'm still hoping to do some cruising with a floaty boat even if it is just skurfing. I wonder if the shred stixx is a floaty enough board.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-02-2014, 1:15 PM Reply   
Really if you're not even concerned about freeriding and just want to basically carve it up lineriding behind the boat, it doesn't really matter what kind of board you're running. I wouldn't even look for a huge floaty board then, just look for something cheap you can get out there with.
I find that for line riding, the most fun you will have is on a skim. You can easily do spins, slash it up some, maybe get some airs and do some lip slides and stuff. Right now, because I'm well over the weight limit of a tiny wakesurf skim I bought, I can't freeride it very well. I do love getting on it though and carving it up and getting some practice in on some spins.
Old     (Waterholic)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-02-2014, 7:37 PM Reply   
thanks surf addict, thats what Im looking for