Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tgmind)      Join Date: Dec 2014       01-01-2015, 4:24 AM Reply   
Due to lake limits(21', 3100lbs) seating, interior space and quality I have decided to buy either a Malibu 03-04 wakesetter VLX or 05-08 V-Ride. Its my understanding that these boats are on the same hull and very comparable but I was hoping to get some opinions from people who have been in both. It seems the older VLX has some extra features but not sure if its enough to offset the age. Thoughts?
Old     (Pinkston)      Join Date: Jul 2014       01-01-2015, 7:12 AM Reply   
What are you seeing between the 2 for money wise.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-01-2015, 8:32 AM Reply   
there almost identical, some small differences in towers, small interior things but not much else. i had an 06 vride and my buddy had an 02 vlx at the same time, that why i ended with a vride
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-01-2015, 8:32 AM Reply   
The vlx has a slightly nicer interior than the vride... Stitched dash etc, but the vride is still pretty nice (much better than the early axis boats for example). The vlx came with more engine options like the hammerhead, whereas in the vride 99% of the time you will see the LCR motor and very occasionally the monsoon. The vride is more frequently found with only center ballast, and not the factory above the floor hard tanks in the rear lockers. By now most people would pull those tanks in favor of bags anyway, but if the tanks are already there it would simplify a ballast upgrade a bit. Vride is more likely to have the illusion tower. Which LOOKS cool (iconically Malibu) but functionally is inferior to the Titan 3. In 2006 they went to malibucruise from perfect pass. So the old perfect pass boats can be upgraded to a GPS system, but not sure about the malibucruise boats. I think the very late ones came with the floating wedge vs the original style manual wedge.

For me if I were buying I'd be looking for the one in the best shape that has a Titan 3 tower, wedge, monsoon or better motor, and the 3 tank ballast setup. That could be a vride or it could be a vlx... Would really be more about condition and price IMHO. And really, the LCR motor is plenty for these boats.

Last edited by shawndoggy; 01-01-2015 at 8:35 AM.
Old     (tgmind)      Join Date: Dec 2014       01-01-2015, 6:12 PM Reply   
Thanks, I was thinking they were pretty much the same but glad to have some confirmation. The Vride I'm seeing are in the high 30's and not many VLX to choose from just one super clean 04 with 945 hours for $29,900. The VLX has all the goods Shawndoggy is talking about but I'm nervous about the hours.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-01-2015, 6:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmind View Post
Thanks, I was thinking they were pretty much the same but glad to have some confirmation. The Vride I'm seeing are in the high 30's and not many VLX to choose from just one super clean 04 with 945 hours for $29,900. The VLX has all the goods Shawndoggy is talking about but I'm nervous about the hours.
think about that... a 10 year old boat with about 100 hours a year. Sounds like a boat that someone liked to use, and if it's clean that means they cared for it too. Subject to a mechanical inspection including a compression test and leakdown test, I wouldn't be scared of those hours.

I think you should be able to beat the seller up with the hours though. Fact is MOST people will discount heavily for hours, and you should too. This time of year with that many hours... 26-27k.

IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc.
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-01-2015, 7:09 PM Reply   
The boats are identical in performance so it really comes down to options. I personally love my Titan 3 tower and would recommend it, but you are obviously limited to whats available.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-02-2015, 10:57 AM Reply   
You should be able to pick up a 05-06 with a titan 3 tower for in the low to mid 30s price range. I know that MN Inboard had one that had 600ish hours on it that was priced in that range earlier this year. The illusion X boats seem to sell for more cash even though the tower is inferior in performance. I personally have the titan 3 tower on my VLX and think it looks just as good. Its January so you have time to shop and can leverage the winter effect for some discounts.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-02-2015, 11:44 AM Reply   
http://redding.craigslist.org/boa/4824233709.html
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-02-2015, 1:42 PM Reply   
thats quite a drive for him to go get that boat. but i do like that alot. i'd pick that up in a heartbeat if it were in the midwest.
Old     (tgmind)      Join Date: Dec 2014       01-03-2015, 3:20 PM Reply   
Yep that one in redding is great but just too far. I'm going to make the 3.5hr drive to see this one in a few days. http://arrowheadboatsales.com/Page.a...etter-VLX.aspx

What tower is this?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-03-2015, 3:59 PM Reply   
I think that is the skylon tuna tower.
Old     (tgmind)      Join Date: Dec 2014       01-06-2015, 6:45 AM Reply   
Well, I made a deal on a 2004 Wakesetter. I love the colors simple Black and white. Has a Skylon tower, Monsoon engine, heater, MLS 3 ballast system with upgraded pumps and bags. We agreed on $24,500 ahead of time since its a 3.5 hour drive. Original owner and the guy says he was meticulous about caring for the boat and assures me It will be evident when I see it today. So even though it has 940 hours I think its still a good deal. I'm going to test drive it today and dealer will perform compression test and re-winterize the boat before I tow it home. Crazy time to buy a boat. Tomorrow our high is 9 degrees. I hope its as nice as he says and I can put this baby in the garage tonight otherwise the search will continue.

Thanks to everyone with your help choosing a boat. Your comments and suggestions have been extremely valuable.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-06-2015, 7:07 AM Reply   
good pickup and a good price. Hours wouldnt concern me. you wont be driving the boat a ton to get to a spot to ride on lotowana
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-06-2015, 7:18 AM Reply   
the tower is the skylon SWOOP tower not the tuna the tuna is all one piece. 3.5 hours is a short drive for a boat if its as clean as it looks.

Join us for WTW KC at smithville this year!!! another 'Bu in the WTWKC family hopefully.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       01-06-2015, 11:30 AM Reply   
we sold our 08 vride in august, after owning it for 4 years. I don' know if we just kept really good care of it or what, but I was more satisfied with it then the 3 '00-'04 VLX's I've spent lots of time in. Our illusion tower was in great shape, never had any issues. We had the 340 monsoon, fully plumbed rear sacks, 537 prop and dual gorilla fins. It performed great and never had one issue. For the minimal difference in an 03-04 vlx and a newer 07-08 vride, I'd go with the 4 year younger boat every time. I also think the 08 vride got upgraded vinyl due to the rest of the line up being upgraded.

Does the vlx have wrap around seating behind the driver? Some vlx's didn't,not sure what year they added it.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-06-2015, 7:53 PM Reply   
So if one could afford an '08 V ride, would most here just get an '05 VLX instead if we are talking same money?
Perhaps the tower would be better improved in the '08 Vride.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-06-2015, 8:36 PM Reply   
2005 VLX with T3...boise.craigslist.org/boa/4790059444.html
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-07-2015, 5:22 AM Reply   
an 05 VLX wont fit on the OPs lake. strict 21' limit as measured thats a 21'6" boat while the Vride is still 21' long
Old     (tgmind)      Join Date: Dec 2014       01-07-2015, 6:36 AM Reply   
August, The only nice 08 Vrides with the options I want are $37-$45k 8+ hours away and I was seriously considering them but in the end I liked saving $12-17k and being able to drive the boat before buying. The VLX I bought is in really great condition and had all of the options I was looking for.
It does have the wrap around seating with ice chest underneath.
Old     (geterdone)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-07-2015, 8:02 AM Reply   
Kyle
Congrats on the boat. It was good meeting you.
Attached Images

Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-07-2015, 12:48 PM Reply   
welcome to the Bu family you should check out

themalibucrew.com

all the info you need on that pretty, new to you VLX
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-07-2015, 1:12 PM Reply   
I wanted to buy that boat 2 weeks ago, so I called and the gal who answered said she would give the message to call me back, so I am assuming the Arrow Head Boat Sales Douche Bags must of returned your phone call much later as you are now enjoying my boat.
Congratulations on winning the lottery of phone call backs.

Last edited by rexlex01; 01-07-2015 at 1:14 PM.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       01-07-2015, 2:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
August, The only nice 08 Vrides with the options I want are $37-$45k 8+ hours away and I was seriously considering them but in the end I liked saving $12-17k and being able to drive the boat before buying. The VLX I bought is in really great condition and had all of the options I was looking for.
It does have the wrap around seating with ice chest underneath.
the wake setter decal looks better than the 08 vride decal by a mile. congrats on the boat.

37-40k for a vride is robbery. I bought my in mint condition, 70 hours, 4 years ago for much less, from a dealer, with 18 months warranty. however, the nada value in those 4 years actually went up about $900.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-07-2015, 2:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlex01 View Post
I wanted to buy that boat 2 weeks ago, so I called and the gal who answered said she would give the message to call me back, so I am assuming the Arrow Head Boat Sales Douche Bags must of returned your phone call much later as you are now enjoying my boat.
I dreamed about the boat and telepathically contacted the seller THREE weeks ago, so think of how I feel!
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-07-2015, 2:29 PM Reply   
I bought mine in 06 brand new for 36k. now they are as much as when new crazy.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-07-2015, 3:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
I dreamed about the boat and telepathically contacted the seller THREE weeks ago, so think of how I feel!
I can't imagine how much of a tool you FEEL!
Old     (ArrowheadBoatSales)      Join Date: Oct 2013       01-08-2015, 7:43 AM Reply   
Rex-
I saw your post online about calling our showroom. Do you remember calling on a weekend or weekday? I am curious to find out how your call was mishandled. You are welcome to email or call me directly anytime with feedback. My mobile phone is 479-601-5300 and my email is JJ.Bauman@ArrowheadboatSales.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

JJ Bauman
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-08-2015, 8:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowheadBoatSales View Post
Rex-
I saw your post online about calling our showroom. Do you remember calling on a weekend or weekday? I am curious to find out how your call was mishandled. You are welcome to email or call me directly anytime with feedback. My mobile phone is 479-601-5300 and my email is JJ.Bauman@ArrowheadboatSales.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

JJ Bauman
I already called and left a message with Megan and no reply. Why would I call again when the boat is now sold. DUH!! Little late don't you think?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-08-2015, 8:20 AM Reply   
He's trying to fix a customer service issue at his shop, help him out and let him know when you called.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-08-2015, 8:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
He's trying to fix a customer service issue at his shop, help him out and let him know when you called.
I called on Dec. 22nd
Old     (tgmind)      Join Date: Dec 2014       01-08-2015, 6:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartt3 View Post
welcome to the Bu family you should check out

themalibucrew.com

all the info you need on that pretty, new to you VLX
Thanks! I setup an account today.
Old     (tgmind)      Join Date: Dec 2014       01-08-2015, 6:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Hopefully you will find something better and you will be glad you missed this one.
Old     (tgmind)      Join Date: Dec 2014       01-08-2015, 6:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
I feel the need to stand up for Arrowhead even though I have only had one transaction with them. I can only imagine it was an honest mistake based on the way I was treated by them. Cory really went above and beyond for his customer selling this boat and was very helpful and responsive to me from start to finish.

I wish I had a dealership like them near me.
Old     (tgmind)      Join Date: Dec 2014       01-08-2015, 6:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougr View Post
I bought mine in 06 brand new for 36k. now they are as much as when new crazy.
Doug, Man I wish I would have bought around 06. Seems like anyone who purchased around those years has done amazing on their resale value. Very cool to have a boat that long and have it retain its value.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-09-2015, 7:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Hopefully you will find something better and you will be glad you missed this one.
You can be sure my check will not have Arrow Head Boat Sales written on it.

Its hard to find dealers that are professional these days instead of ignorant and dysfunctional. Any recommendations?

Last edited by rexlex01; 01-09-2015 at 7:53 AM.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-09-2015, 9:30 AM Reply   
Hey Rex, you called one time, 2 days before Christmas, and didn't get a call back on a boat that's now sold. Now the owner of the dealership came on here because he wants to rectify things, even though he knows the boat you were interested in is gone. Seems like a reputable dealer to me. What more would you want him to be doing now to fix things?

He has staff, and staff can and will make mistakes. I don't think that makes his dealership "Ignorant and dysfunctional".
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-09-2015, 10:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Hey Rex, you called one time, 2 days before Christmas, and didn't get a call back on a boat that's now sold. Now the owner of the dealership came on here because he wants to rectify things, even though he knows the boat you were interested in is gone. Seems like a reputable dealer to me. What more would you want him to be doing now to fix things?

He has staff, and staff can and will make mistakes. I don't think that makes his dealership "Ignorant and dysfunctional".
My thoughts exactly. It's not ideal, but they are a small business probably busy wrapping things up before they all go to spend the holidays with their families. Cut them some slack man.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-09-2015, 10:33 AM Reply   
Yea, I was busy also, wrapping things up with my own family before our 3000 mile trip (with the truck for towing instead of the car) for the holidays and was hoping for a call back sometime between the 22nd and Jan 5 so that we could see it/ pick it up on the way back even though it would have been 7 hours out of our way. I would not have wasted all that Truck gas for nothing. Figured they must have sold it and got home and checked WW and wow!!
Old     (wyotige)      Join Date: Dec 2014       01-09-2015, 10:55 AM Reply   
Sounds like you made a decision to drive the truck rather than your car without having all the information needed. Again, not the dealer's fault. In fact, I can't believe myself, as well as the others that have commented, have to educate a grown man. Unreal!

Hats off to the dealer for the followup. From the sounds of things you escaped a boat owner that would have thrown you under the bus if there were future problems/issues with a sale. Count your blessings.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-09-2015, 11:40 AM Reply   
You don't have all the facts from the extended conversation on the phone with the sec.
It was a timing factor with the truck as well. Again, not having all the facts.
I also tried to contact the dealer again and left a message with no reply yet.

Last edited by rexlex01; 01-09-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-09-2015, 2:24 PM Reply   
How did you get a new 06 for 36K. I bought my 04 used in 06 and the guy I bought it from paid 50K OTD. Was it a repo
Old     (geterdone)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-10-2015, 12:03 PM Reply   
2007 Malibu 21 VLX 300 Hours
Attached Images

Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-10-2015, 7:35 PM Reply   
^^^^ what's the point of this post. That boat doesn't meet the requirements of op. Are you just showing off your boat
Old     (geterdone)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-12-2015, 7:10 AM Reply   
The boat is for sale. Kyle bought the 2004 that met his requirements.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-12-2015, 8:54 AM Reply   
Did you say "For Sale"? By Dealer?
Old     (gdog)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-14-2015, 5:02 PM Reply   
Kyle,

Congrats on the boat purchase. I know the boat and it is immaculate. Enjoy!!!! I do not know what happened with "StillLooking" and the phone call but from my experience Arrowhead is a stand up dealership from the sales staff all the way down to the service department. I wouldn't hesitate to call JJ or Cory if you are in the market for a boat or need some advise.
Old     (tgmind)      Join Date: Dec 2014       01-17-2015, 4:59 AM Reply   
Thanks gdog. The condition of the boat is impressive. Congrats on your new purchase.
Old     (gdog)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-17-2015, 6:42 PM Reply   
Thanks Kyle. Let's hope we have an Early Spring.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-19-2015, 10:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Thanks gdog. The condition of the boat is impressive. Congrats on your new purchase.
Did they throw in some tower speakers?
What is your location?
Might I suggest getting some BB hot sauce to keep that shiny black hull in good shape.
http://www.amazon.com/Boat-Bling-HS-.../dp/B006GWVBQ8
Old     (tgmind)      Join Date: Dec 2014       01-20-2015, 4:33 AM Reply   
Yes they did include tower speakers. I'm in Kansas City. Thanks for the hull care suggestion,
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-20-2015, 5:00 AM Reply   
I agree props to the dealer for following up on the issue. Not having all the details, but I know in my experience waiting on a call back is not your best option. I would call back every day just to check on if the person i need to talk to is available. On a positive note its January so there will most likely be more deals that come about before the spring price jump!
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-20-2015, 1:30 PM Reply   
I emailed the link above but still no reply.