Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-24-2013, 10:09 AM Reply   
Here's a question I can't seem to find the answer to. Is there a battery with the footprint of a group 24, but larger vertically (i.e. "taller")?

My boat has a recessed battery well under the observer's seat, sized for two group 24s, which is kinda weak. Looking for upgrade options when the current batteries croak.
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-25-2013, 8:53 PM Reply   
Shawndoggy,
I think group 24 is one of the tallest of all the groups.
How many batteries are you running? Just the 2?
FWIW.. Deka 6 volt golf cart batteries fit in those wells..
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-26-2013, 9:17 AM Reply   
Yeah, just the two. We do very very little floating with the stereo on and if it is on it's at like 5-10% (conversational levels), so haven't really seen the need for a huge stereo reserve. Mine's been rewired with a blue sea add a battery kit and the stereo is all on one battery, with rest of the boat on the other. Both batteries seem to be holding up similarly if my charger is to be believed (both will still hold a 12.5v charge a few weeks after being on the charger).

Nonetheless, when the time comes to replace, I'd sure like to put the biggest batteries that will fit.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-26-2013, 10:05 AM Reply   
It looks like a Golf cart battery(group number GC2) is a little shorter in length and a little wider in width but not by much. The problem is with a traditional Golf cart battery you would need 2 to get to 12V. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure Deka makes a 12V golf cart battery although it might be an AGM(expensive). I will take a look and see if I can find it and get back to you. It you do go this route you may need to do a single group 24 or group 34 starting battery and a single 12v golf battery. You batteries might not match.
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-26-2013, 1:57 PM Reply   
Yes Deka makes a 12 volt golf cart battery but it is BIG. I think they are around 13-1/2" long. Too big for the MB battery wells I'm afraid.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-26-2013, 5:33 PM Reply   
Russ, you are right. The part number is GC12V but it is 3 inches longer than a group 24. Bummer.
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-27-2013, 1:38 AM Reply   
Hi Brett,

Sent you a pm if you have a minute at some stage.

Thanks
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-27-2013, 6:02 AM Reply   
Brett,

Does it matter if your battery banks are different?
Meaning the batteries in each bank are the same but the banks are different.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-27-2013, 9:13 AM Reply   
My old boat had different batteries on either side of the add-a-battery. One group 29 for the boat loads (starting, gauges, etc), and two group 27s for the stereo. worked fine.