Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 10, 2003

Old    1kanaka            11-12-2002, 5:33 PM Reply   
Question for those in living in upstate Cali:

How much winterizing does everyone do? Should I drain all the lines and etc? Freezing temps are minimal, if any. The next time I'll probably be riding would be end of April at the earliest. Also, I'm curious to know if anyone has had any problems by not winterizing. I got a checklist from WCC and I would like to do a much as I can. I'm considering taking my boat in to them since I don't think I can do everything they suggested.
Old    mtbmudmachine            11-12-2002, 6:02 PM Reply   
Winterizing in Nor-Cal??? Freezing shouldn’t a problem in Vacaville Ca, (your profile) I take it you keep your boat inside, (If you don't shame on you) I wouldn't worry about draining block water, Your not going to be using your boat for 6 month's Nov-April. So the only thing I would think you should do is keep the Bat's charged with a trickle charger. Some thing's you can do just to make sure is #1 taking the impeller out (relax the impeller) this stops the impeller from drying out cracking ECT. #2 change the Oil in April, I don't think oil goes bad by just sitting for 6 months but "just to be sure" It's a good way to start the season. If you are keeping your boat under a cover outside It's a good thing to put a de-humidifier in the boat keep the moisture to a min, I have also heard of people using a shop style light (the one with a bulb) in there boat with the light on as a de-humidifier, just becarefull it can burn thing's I don't winterize my boat, I just use it all year, "Dam" I got to take the boat out this weekend to make sure everything is ok! Sounds good to me
Old    1kanaka            11-12-2002, 6:57 PM Reply   
Thanks Grant. I posted the question hoping to get some idea what others are doing. I've owned a boat before, a little runabout. Winters were spent fishing so I never had to do any winter maintenace. I guess, my problem now is to find some friends that aren't afraid of some cold water!
Oh, and "Hell Ya!" its covered, doesn't every Nautique owner...
Old    dholio            11-12-2002, 7:50 PM Reply   
put some stabil or similar product into your fuel and run your boat up to operating temp. I wouldn't worry about taking the impeller out. Too much of a hassle. If it does go bad, they are only $30 You might want to lube up your cable ends too just to keep them from going stiff.
Old    mtbmudmachine            11-12-2002, 9:19 PM Reply   
This Is my Idea of winterizing, And yes find friends that don't mind cold water. A drysuite is the ticket
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-12-2002, 10:44 PM Reply   
1) put stabil in gas tank.
2) change oil at end of season, don't let contaminants sit in the engine that long plus you're ready to go in sping.
3) flog the cylinders.
4) spring time change impeller.

If kept inside and in norcal no need to drain the block or mls system.
Old    leggester            11-13-2002, 7:11 AM Reply   
Possibly 'fog' the cylinders instead of flogging them. I know it's more satisfatory to flog them, but it won't do much good for the engine - j/k
Old    1kanaka            11-13-2002, 8:38 AM Reply   
Thanks all!!! Pretty sure I can do all the jobs you all have suggested.

Flog..fog..either is just as productive.

Damn Grant! Nice ride!! Just checked your profile. Didn't know you had an Air too. How do weight yours? Along with the factory ballast,I'm thinking of getting a sack for the ski locker, but nothing too excessive.

Old    av8tens            11-13-2002, 4:20 PM Reply   
Brandon-
By 'covered', do you mean garaged? I walked out of my Vacaville home last winter into falling snow. It routinely gets below freezing at night, but it usually warms up some during the day.
If my boat was outside all winter here I'd drain it just for peace of mind, but I like the idea of using it the best.
T
Old     (airbesar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-13-2002, 6:07 PM Reply   
We haven't been winterizing here in Sacto the last few years. Partly because we usually ride a few times in the winter and partly because I'm cheap. But on nights with temps into the 20s, I'll hang a couple of incandescent bulbs in the engine compartment.

Word of warning - back in the late 80s there was a brutal cold snap, at least for Sacto. Stayed below freezing for several days, including right through the day. Our pond had just thick enough ice on it that you could walk out on it a little bit at the edge. We didn't boat then but I heard that hundreds of boat engine blocks around town froze. Obviously, it doesn't happen often but you want to stay on top of the forecasts, just in case.
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-14-2002, 10:28 AM Reply   
Brandon:
I live in Sac. I drain the block and exhaust manifolds just for peice of mind. It can get cold enough to freeze and no the damage would not be covered by your ins policy. Be safe not sorry. As Beaser said put a drop light in the motor box and it will put off enough heat to prevent freezing.

In 91 we hasd a deep freeze and I learned the hard way.

Rick
Old    1kanaka            11-14-2002, 10:59 AM Reply   
All good info...thanks all!