Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (WakeboardNJ)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-19-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
So I started the "Chainsaw Advice" thread a few days ago. ...below is the reason why.

This happened in last weekends Nor'Easter storm that hit NYC. (We are 8mi west of NYC)

It's actually worse then it looks in the pics, the angles can't really be determined from the pics, but let's just say I skirted a HUGE loss here.

The tree would have taken out the the back third of the boat, torn up cushions, killed the swim platform, damaged the trailer and hit the tower. Had the tree actually hit the boat, I believe it would have been a total loss of boat and trailer.

The tree is currently lodged by branches into two other trees. It's stable for now, but obviously has to come down. One might ask, dude why haven't you moved the boat yet incase it falls. Good question. In front of the boat is the lowest point in the property. All rain water ends up about 25ft in front of the boat, creating a small pond when it rains(ducks actually float in it during the summer). This doesn't affect the boat during winter storage, but getting my Tahoe in there to get the boat moved requires a few days of waiting until the pond drains. Otherwise everything would sink and be a muddy mess.

In our small area of the neighborhood, there were about 10 trees uprooted, 4 others within eye-shot of this tree alone. (can you say microbursts). Literally hundreds of trees came down during this storm and we were without power for 3 days. Some still don't have power almost a week later.

KG
Attached Images

Old    deltahoosier            03-19-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
Glad that did not hit anything. Lucky indeed. You don't realized how heavy even a small tree is until you actually have to move it. We were at a party once. This guy had this huge stump portion of a tree. All of it was out of the ground just laying there. This thing was maybe four feet tall on it's side maybe four feet long. That is if I remember correctly. We had maybe a dozen people on that thing. We thought sure we'll move it for you. Nope. We all did our little countdown, gave it one great big heave and nothing happened. Funny as heck if you would have been there. No one said a word. We all just walked away at once and went back to the keg.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       03-21-2010, 6:50 PM Reply   
Wow that would have done a lot of damage.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-21-2010, 7:31 PM Reply   
So did you get the tree down yet? Hopefully
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-22-2010, 2:17 PM Reply   
That is a close call. Looks like you are lucky to get throguh that without any major property damage.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       03-25-2010, 6:53 AM Reply   
You definitely dodged a bullet, especially this close to riding season! I'm not sure how much experience you have with cutting trees, use extreme caution when cutting a leaning tree like this. They can be very unpredictable and dangerous no matter what the size of the tree.
Old     (WakeboardNJ)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-25-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
Works all done.
The leaning trees issue was solved with some rope, a few pulley's and a Ford! My buddy and I had to muscle the trees from the leaning positions after we set up some relief cuts to drop them where we wanted. 3 trees in total, took about 3 hours to drop/slice/stack all three trees.
Attached Images