Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-20-2016, 8:24 AM Reply   
This looks like a super simple solution for adding manually retractable surf gates to a boat. Anyone tried these?

https://www.amazon.com/Nauticus-SX95...s=nauticus+tab

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2NYACAJP9I1IY
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-20-2016, 9:27 AM Reply   
not adjustable so I don't think they'd work like surf tabs.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-20-2016, 1:09 PM Reply   
They are slightly adjustable (5 different holes on the back of the tab). Way more adjustable than this. I had a friend that built a wood wedge box very similar to that, even used really wide Velcro to attach it to the side of his boat, and it instantly made a far better surf wake.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-20-2016, 2:02 PM Reply   
I've got a suckgate that makes a world of difference as well. those tabs don't do what you think the do. yes, there are several adjustment holes, but they stay in a fixed position once set.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-20-2016, 2:37 PM Reply   
Look at the second link (retractor).
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-20-2016, 2:42 PM Reply   
thats kinda cool. then it all depends on how much throw they have and if you could mount them on the transom so that they were effective. for that price, might be worth trying out. Amazon's return policy is better than wally worlds - they'll take an empty box and give you a full refund!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-20-2016, 3:29 PM Reply   
The tabs are 9" tall x 10" long, and are designed to be set at 25º down from the hull. I'm assuming the retractors take them from 25º to 0º. I think I'm gonna give them a shot. I'll post results with my 00 Supra Launch as they come.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-20-2016, 5:25 PM Reply   
Installation instrux and drawings here. I did some measuring on my boat tonight. I will need to shim it to fit the rounded vertical rear corners of my hull, and maybe grind some stuff to clear the swim platform, but it looks like it will fit, no problem.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-20-2016, 5:45 PM Reply   
Not gonna work. Those are made for getting the boat on plane. They "auto adjust" by having the pressure of the water push them in when getting up to speed. If you make one longer it just going press in more when you start moving.

If you replaced the gas actuator with a solid one that didn't move you may be able do what you're talking about but those adjusters you posted are not going to be enough. I looked into those when trying to make some kind of surf system. Make a suckgate and call it a day. They work great.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-20-2016, 7:21 PM Reply   
Agreed. I ordered the version with the max 80 lb gas springs, but if they give at 10.5 mph, I'll replace them with SS bars.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-01-2016, 7:08 AM Reply   
I got them in, but will have to return them. The gas spring mounts interfere with my swim platform brackets. FWIW, the gas springs are stiff as hell, and they look like they would work if one could get them mounted.