Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-19-2019, 8:29 PM Reply   
So a few weeks ago I knocked my jaw on my knee and broke a crown off at the gum. As a result I was really left with 3 choices, go toothless, get a bridge, or get a dental implant. My friend I ride with is a dentist so I elected to have him do the implant. Long story short the implant was done 4 days ago and I’m wondering if I can ride again?
Attached Images

Old     (lesstalkmoreride)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-20-2019, 7:10 PM Reply   
Maybe just ask your dentist?...or are you just trying to find the answer that you want?
Hope you get to rip again soon, but dont jeopardize that beautiful smile.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-20-2019, 7:49 PM Reply   
I couldn’t see why not? But yeah maybe your dentist buddy knows better.
Maybe a mouthguard would be a good idea?

You know we don’t seem to see as much of this injury in wake. Used to be back in the mid-late 90s seemed like lots of pros were missing teeth and/or had fake teeth. Cobe and Thomas Horrell come to mind. Wonder why?

Last edited by dyost; 04-20-2019 at 7:52 PM.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-20-2019, 7:51 PM Reply   
I can tell you it wouldn’t stop me... I would put in a mouthguard and keep rolling
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-20-2019, 8:46 PM Reply   
Thanks for the compliment. My friend said would be better if I didn’t ride which is obvious. My question was really more out how high the infection risk was. Rode some anyways, oh well.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-27-2019, 12:02 PM Reply   
Wait so your dentist friend told you not to wakeboard at all anymore because you got a dental implant??? Like you shouldn't ever ride again? That seems very strange. Is there something about implants we should know that would prevent someone from ever wakeboarding or playing any type of sport ever?
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-27-2019, 1:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by beleza View Post
Wait so your dentist friend told you not to wakeboard at all anymore because you got a dental implant??? Like you shouldn't ever ride again? That seems very strange. Is there something about implants we should know that would prevent someone from ever wakeboarding or playing any type of sport ever?
No! He said not to ride until the 7th of May at least (4 weeks out of the water), because the wound isn’t completely healed. However, he’s being overly cautious I believe. I get what he’s saying though because an implant does include a bone graft and the wound (still stitched) goes down to the bone. I have another friend who’s a dental oral surgeon and he said he’d ride. I have read a lot online and you get a lot of deferent opinions. Long story short I’m goi g to ride tomorrow eff it.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-28-2019, 3:48 AM Reply   
Gotcha. That makes sense.