Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Toofast22)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-10-2016, 1:11 PM Reply   
Hey guys,

I've been a recreational wakeboarder for a while and been looking to get a boat now because I want to get more serious about it. I'm 5'9 175-185lb. I currently wakeboard behind a fishing boat lol with a 2010 Liquid Force Trip 142cm without center fins. I am not experienced by any means but to me it feels too locked into the water (maybe the molded fins). I was looking for a board a little shorter but im not sure if thats a good idea going to 3 stage rocker. The 142cm just feels like its too long and a lot of weight to me on the trip.

I was basically wondering of the above boards which would be recommended. I know the camber boards are something completely new to get used to but I like the fact it protects your knees. I played hockey most of my life and my left knee is already messed up to an extent. What I gathered is:

Parks Air core: Stable and forgiving, not very fast, requires re-learning how to ride, easier on knees
One Timebomb: Very fast and excellent pop but not very forgiving if you botch landings
LF Harley: Excellent pop and forgiving in the flats, not sure about weight versus the timebomb and air corer.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-10-2016, 4:53 PM Reply   
My .02 is that board weight means almost nothing and that air core boards are fragile.

where the weight matters are in the tip and tail outside your feet. I ride exactly the same as I do on an 8lb Ronix as I do on my 9lbs slingshot, 10 lbs control and 12lb humanoid. Why? All the weight is in the center of the board, and tips and tails are milled thin.

At that weight you should be in a 140-142.

i would add a humanoid 1up, slingshot recoil, and maybe a cwb ti
Old     (Toofast22)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-10-2016, 5:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
My .02 is that board weight means almost nothing and that air core boards are fragile.

where the weight matters are in the tip and tail outside your feet. I ride exactly the same as I do on an 8lb Ronix as I do on my 9lbs slingshot, 10 lbs control and 12lb humanoid. Why? All the weight is in the center of the board, and tips and tails are milled thin.

At that weight you should be in a 140-142.

i would add a humanoid 1up, slingshot recoil, and maybe a cwb ti
Simplej,

Thanks for the advice. I will checkout those boards as well. The one thing that sucks about the parks is that it only comes in 144 or 139. I would probably drop to a 139 in that case because I dont really want to go any bigger.

I will probably end up with the one, parks, or slingshot, but I have really no concept of what I need in a board haha.
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-11-2016, 6:22 AM Reply   
The one TB has a surf style edge through the middle of the board and a sharper edge in the tip and tail. I don't know if I'd say it is unforgiving
Old     (tribeal)      Join Date: Jul 2016       07-11-2016, 7:19 AM Reply   
ronix camber boards are so much fun. Huge pop and very forgiving. Plus you can ride them a little small. I'm 225lbs and ride space blanket 141
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-11-2016, 8:40 AM Reply   
I ride both a Recoil and a Timebomb, and I think you'd probably have more fun behind your fishing boat on a Recoil. It's much looser than the Timebomb (and your Trip), and will open you up to a bunch of surface tricks. Also, it'll make you a better overall rider, forcing you to edge and pop correctly. I feel like the Timebomb is meant for boats with a larger wake than what you're currently riding. I'd probably stay away from the RAD boots though. To me, Ronix boots are just the best - easy to get in and out of, comfortable, durable, etc. My personal favorites are the Ronix Parks. You can find last seasons on ebay at a pretty decent discount.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-11-2016, 8:43 AM Reply   
Also, the Recoil lands super, super soft. Even when you case the wake it's soft.
Old     (Toofast22)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-11-2016, 1:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribeal View Post
ronix camber boards are so much fun. Huge pop and very forgiving. Plus you can ride them a little small. I'm 225lbs and ride space blanket 141
Any experience ronix parks vs space blanket? what are the differences?
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-11-2016, 4:50 PM Reply   
I luv my Harley but its not all fancy with the special cores and profiles but its rock solid and steady
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-11-2016, 4:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill View Post
I luv my Harley but its not all fancy with the special cores and profiles but its rock solid and steady

Here 2 yrs old Harley with Ronix ones
Attached Images

Old     (Toofast22)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-11-2016, 5:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill View Post
Here 2 yrs old Harley with Ronix ones
Thats pretty awesome man my fishing boat cant do that LOL
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-11-2016, 10:17 PM Reply   
I have spent a lot of time on all the Ronix boards you are considering. I started out on the TB and loved the aggressive pop and forgiving center rails, but my knee was taking a beating (am 44) so went to camber in the Parks air core. LOVED it....yes took some getting used to the different ride and is a bit slow board, but for me I was able to pop even more than before because of the more even weighting on my legs and not fearing harder landings. I also really love the feel on the water of the camber boards, you have to at least try it.

This year I made the change to the Space Blanket and actually love it even more than my Parks. The vertical sidewalls might be a tad less forgiving than the Parks (but still plenty of forgiveness), but make the board a lot faster than it in my opinion which I like. I seem to be getting even more pop than before possibly due to bit more speed and also more surface area than the Parks I was on. As for weight, the air core version of either board is ridiculously light for the size and I put a lot of time on my boards and have had zero issues with durability.

Hope this helps, shoot me a private message if you want to chat more about those Ronix boards!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-13-2016, 4:39 AM Reply   
I heard from Parks himself that his 2017 board is being redesigned to make it faster, might be a good demo for my new ride if in fact its softer landing for an old body without sacrificing speed and pop..
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-15-2016, 9:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleAxis View Post
I have spent a lot of time on all the Ronix boards you are considering. I started out on the TB and loved the aggressive pop and forgiving center rails, but my knee was taking a beating (am 44) so went to camber in the Parks air core. LOVED it....yes took some getting used to the different ride and is a bit slow board, but for me I was able to pop even more than before because of the more even weighting on my legs and not fearing harder landings. I also really love the feel on the water of the camber boards, you have to at least try it.

This year I made the change to the Space Blanket and actually love it even more than my Parks. The vertical sidewalls might be a tad less forgiving than the Parks (but still plenty of forgiveness), but make the board a lot faster than it in my opinion which I like. I seem to be getting even more pop than before possibly due to bit more speed and also more surface area than the Parks I was on. As for weight, the air core version of either board is ridiculously light for the size and I put a lot of time on my boards and have had zero issues with durability.

Hope this helps, shoot me a private message if you want to chat more about those Ronix boards!
I was riding a Ronix Bill and had a chance to spend some time on the Space Blanket. I really liked the softer feel of it. I'm an old guy and enjoy wake to wake 180s and 360 stuff, no inverts. I am 150lb and according to Ronix the 133 space blanket is my size. What are your thoughts on their sizing?
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       07-16-2016, 6:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystiikVLX View Post
I was riding a Ronix Bill and had a chance to spend some time on the Space Blanket. I really liked the softer feel of it. I'm an old guy and enjoy wake to wake 180s and 360 stuff, no inverts. I am 150lb and according to Ronix the 133 space blanket is my size. What are your thoughts on their sizing?
Sounds about right to me,maybe go 137 if you like larger board. They measure running surface on the space blanket not actual length. For example, my 141 Space Blanket is longer than my 144 Parks and has bit more surface area.