Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (rubberduckey)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-22-2011, 1:32 PM Reply   
I have a four winns so i know i cant have a rope to long but whats a good length
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-22-2011, 2:25 PM Reply   
It somewhat depends on what your boat's wake is like and skill level and other factors. Anyone who has to ask about rope length probably has no good reason to use anything over 70'. If your boat has a tower, I would suggest trying 65'. If you don't have a tower, I would suggest 60'. All my lengths are including the handle.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-22-2011, 2:34 PM Reply   
85-87 depending on the Boat I am riding. If your riding shorter than 70 feet the approach is really short.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-22-2011, 5:28 PM Reply   
I'm a beginner only doing w2w 180 hs and ts, ts w2w, a mix of w2w grabs, and half cabs. I ride at 65' (handle included) behind an Axis A22. I don't mind riding at 65 or 60 for that matter. I think too many beginners have an ego or just not in the know to possibly start out shorter for technique/control and then take it out later.
Old     (Nova)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-22-2011, 6:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
I'm a beginner only doing w2w 180 hs and ts, ts w2w, a mix of w2w grabs, and half cabs. I ride at 65' (handle included) behind an Axis A22. I don't mind riding at 65 or 60 for that matter. I think too many beginners have an ego or just not in the know to possibly start out shorter for technique/control and then take it out later.
This pretty much describes my exact skill level. I usually ride at a 60 because I don't have a tower, however.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-22-2011, 6:39 PM Reply   
Most people try jumping the wake before they have proper body position and edging technique down[myself included].I had a 89 Four WINNS as my first boat. It was a 17 ft I/O.I used a 60 foot rope for kneeboarding and ran 21 to 22 mph. The wake was good and clean there.Don't worry about rope length first.Develop your technique and body position.This is your foundation and the most important thing to your riding.Good Luck!
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-22-2011, 8:12 PM Reply   
80' behind the old 210
Old    alanp            08-22-2011, 11:57 PM Reply   
my rope now is about 65+ feet. i had a fourwinns 190 and was riding a 60+ foot rope.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-23-2011, 6:17 AM Reply   
As has been said, ride where the sweet spot is for your setup, I don't think starting out with advanced speeds or line lengths does anything good when you're learning the basics. I learned a lot at 20-21 and 60 ft, before that when I was 13-14 we'd ride 22-28 off (wow 47-53ft) at 18mph...

Depending on boat, speed, weight setup and conditions or how I'm feeling a particular day I ride between 70 and 80 feet. I usually don't ride slower than 23 or faster than 24.5mph... I also don't often ride a slammed out wake boat, usually old Nautiques 2001 or my Tige...
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-23-2011, 10:41 AM Reply   
I think it depends on a lot of things.

SKILL - there are a few theories about rope length for beginners. Personally, we run the longest line for beginners to make the wake less intimidating and to give them more time to do outside-in AND inside-out jumps so they get 2 jumps each way instead of one. then shorten the rope later, depending on all the things bellow

STYLE - Are you wake to wake rider or big into the flats rider? are you aggressive, more fluid, or...? the list goes on.... Starting out, i was a wake-to-wake kind of guy and rode about 60-65' after switching to riding my slingshot i started riding more aggressive and going into the flats. after about a year of that i was missing the smooth landings down the second wake sometimes. lengthened the rope and hybridized my older style with my newer. i could still cut hard but land down the other wake.

TRICKS - might change up the rope depending on if your learning new tricks or what not.

BOAT - this is a no-brainer. every boat is different

SPEED - this is kind of a byproduct of all the other categories

WEIGHT - this is also kind of a byproduct of the other categories

TOWER PLACEMENT - this depends more on boats with aftermarket towers (mostly your I/O boats) For example; if the tower is placed in the rear of the boat (like the one I ride behind) a 70ft rope on this boat would put you as far back as a 75' rope on a wake boat or other boat with the tower mounted more forward. both rides you would be 70' BEHIND the boat but one ride would sacrifice 5 ft more arc in your cut.

ME:
I typical ride behind 24ft cuddy cab reinell with the tower mounted in the back. I ride 70' BEHIND the boat, but am trying to up it to 75' In order to up it to 75' I need to push my and get my "swtch-toeside-landing-toeside jump" more dialed. Basically most of the time i will ride at whatever length i can still jump the wake in all directions. toeside and heelside regular and switch! but sometimes if i want to charge and push my regular stance riding then i will lengthen it out to 75 or maybe 80. i even tried Randall Harris' style once. about 90' with 28 mph. it was a little scary but a HUGE learning experience and i obtained a great deal of appreciation too. Everyone who is at least intermediate in skill ought to try it (Randall's style) once!

EVERYONE: I believe everyone should at least shoot for a length that they can jump the wake toeside and heelside... and the eventually switch too. (Try to) Ride a wakeboard the way it was designed ---> SYMMETRICALLY

Last edited by wakerider111; 08-23-2011 at 10:47 AM.