Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (CasMarks)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-12-2011, 5:23 PM Reply   
I've been having some problems with my ankle recently and was hoping I could get some input from others who may have had similar issues. After riding quite a bit for the last two months, both of my ankles, one being more significant than the other, seem to be damaged. I have no problems walking and no problems running unless I had just recently aggravated it. It does, however, hurt at all times when I tweak it in almost any direction, the worst being when I roll it to the outside. Riding isn't even a problem unless I get ripped out of the boots or get stuck half way out which is by far the worst and ends the session. I suspect the initial damage was done riding and being in that stuck half way out of the boot situation multiple times with it compounding with every further instance. Having not gone to the doctor yet, I feel the pain on the top of my foot toward the outside (closer to the ankle rather than the toes) and I am guessing maybe some ligament damage. As far as recovering from this, I had let it go for a while because I could easily avoid the pain considering it wouldn't hurt under normal circumstances but I have just recently begun to ice it, hoping it would get better. Any info/help/suggestions?
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-12-2011, 6:11 PM Reply   
Sounds similar to what I recently experienced. Three ligaments on the outside were torn and I walked around on it for 6 months because it only got uncomfortable at certain times. Best advice anyone here can give you is to go to a doctor.
Attached Images

Old     (CasMarks)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-12-2011, 6:20 PM Reply   
I'll probably end up going to the doctor, but figured I'd see what others had to say. How long did you end up having to stay off of it and did they suggest a boot or something to support it?
Old     (MattAlz33)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-12-2011, 6:24 PM Reply   
I have had similar problems with my ankle because of multiple injuries that were neglected on my part. Last year I messed it up again and my doc said I had a lot of ligament damage and my ankle is very "loose" which leads to all the reoccurring injuries. I decided to decline the surgery because I just had my ACL repaired and I didn't want to miss more time on the water. I will fix it next time I mess it up, however I would suggest getting them looked at and if you need surgery, then get it. So you aren't in the same boat as me. On a positive note I now have Hypertlite Team bindings on one of my boards and CWB's AA on my other board and my ankles feel great. I believe these bindings are very supportive, especially in the ankle region.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-12-2011, 6:30 PM Reply   
Go to the Doc. I am mending a broken ankle right now. I thought after I hurt it that it was def sprained. I got some X-Rays and found out I broke a few odd small bones in my ankle. They are crazy complicated and have more bones and ligments than a knee.
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-21-2011, 7:20 PM Reply   
hi mate, been there done that, in fact its ruined my last two seasons of riding.

sounds like you have torn the inner ligaments in your ankle. the outer ones recovery in around 3 weeks but the inner ones can take 3/4 months. i tried a natural rehab and that didnt work, but then got a cortizone injection.

i hobbled into the doctor, and walked out fine. i was riding cwb answer boots, and i think half the problem was when bailing hard, half my foot would get caught half in the binding, half out.

flag seeing a physio, go and see a good sports dr and they should be able to diagnose you well.
Old     (CasMarks)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-22-2011, 9:41 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info. I ended up visiting the doctor a little while back now and they seemed to know less about my issue than I did. I had not been on the water for a bit when I had gone in to see them and with the x-rays not picking up anything broken, they merely suggested I stay away from riding for 2 weeks. Having already been off the water for some time, I knew this would not solve my problems. As of now, I haven't gone out riding for over a month and my foot is as bad as it was when I last hurt it. I did end up just recently purchasing an ankle/foot brace to stabilize it at all times thinking it might help in the long run. I might search around the area for a sports doctor and see what they have to say, thanks again for the help.